Vintage Chanel - Worth it?

Lady001

O.G.
Apr 1, 2008
Girls and guys, I need your help. I am considering buying a vintage CF or a Diana. I have a brand new 2.55 reissue and le boy but was intrigued by the older models before 2008 where they still used gold plated hardware. My question: is it worth spending a few thousands on an older bag (ca 1990-2007) and what can I expect quality wise? I hope you can tell me of you own a vintage chanel and how the experience is.

Reactions: ilawise26
When they were selling for just over $3,000 a year ago, in great condtion with the authenticity cards, dustbags, etc., I did not mind paying $3,000 but they are now just too expensive. For example Fashionphile and Boutique Patina are selling vintage bags between $4,000 and $10,000. The prices went up on Ebay as well.

Personal preference, so I completely understand if people have other opinions. I sold my Diana flap, to me, it's not worth it.
  1. I prefer calfskin, goatskin, or caviar bags. I do not understand the concept of babying a bag. I want to enjoy using my handbags without constantly worrying about how I wear it, what I can wear it with, what I place it down on, ect.
  2. Most Diana's are in lambskin, they will wrinkle and lose structure. Quilts will flatten with use. They will wrinkle along the back, even when the bag is closed.
  3. Most look very used for the price you pay. Which to me, is very unappealing. I would rather spend the money on a new bag.
  4. There is only one way to wear it. Being able to carry a handbag multiple ways is a MUST for me. If Diana flaps had four grommets, then it would be a different story.

HOWEVER, I have a vintage classic flap in caviar and I LOVE it. I've said before in other posts, one of my most used bags and still looks new. If you're set on a vintage bag, I think buying a bag that is still in production is the way to go.​

Last edited:
I live in Amsterdam so the prices may be a little less but still a lot compared to a few years back. I see vintage CF going for almost 4000 euro. Its seems quite a lot and some of them don't even have the authenticity cards or are not in good condition. Maybe worth buying a CF in the boutique then. But I am still looking for that pearl out there: fairly priced, good condition, with authenticity card, dustbag, the whole shebang. Is that an illusion?

Personal preference, so I completely understand if people have other opinions. I sold my Diana flap, to me, it's not worth it.
  1. I prefer calfskin, goatskin, or caviar bags. I do not understand the concept of babying a bag. I want to enjoy using my handbags without constantly worrying about how I wear it, what I can wear it with, what I place it down on, ect.
  2. Most Diana's are in lambskin, they will wrinkle and lose structure. Quilts will flatten with use. They will wrinkle along the back, even when the bag is closed.
  3. Most look very used for the price you pay. Which to me, is very unappealing. I would rather spend the money on a new bag.
  4. There is only one way to wear it. Being able to carry a handbag multiple ways is a MUST for me. If Diana flaps had four grommets, then it would be a different story.

HOWEVER, I have a vintage classic flap in caviar and I LOVE it. I've said before in other posts, one of my most used bags and still looks new. If you're set on a vintage bag, I think buying a bag that is still in production, is the way to go.​
Thanks for this, this helps a lot! especially what you said about the lambskin. I bought the reissue with the aged leather and couldn't buy the Cf in lambskin because it's just not for me. On top of that, I wear both of my Chanels as crossbody's. This is also a must for me and I don't think you can wear the medium Cf crossbody, can you?
I might consider a vintage CF but ONLY in good condition etc. Glad you shared your opinion!

Reactions: catchingfireflies
I live in Amsterdam so the prices may be a little less but still a lot compared to a few years back. I see vintage CF going for almost 4000 euro. Its seems quite a lot and some of them don't even have the authenticity cards or are not in good condition. Maybe worth buying a CF in the boutique then. But I am still looking for that pearl out there: fairly priced, good condition, with authenticity card, dustbag, the whole shebang. Is that an illusion?
No, I dont think it is an illusion at all. Patience sometimes pays off.

Thanks for this, this helps a lot! especially what you said about the lambskin. I bought the reissue with the aged leather and couldn't buy the Cf in lambskin because it's just not for me. On top of that, I wear both of my Chanels as crossbody's. This is also a must for me and I don't think you can wear the medium Cf crossbody, can you?
I might consider a vintage CF but ONLY in good condition etc. Glad you shared your opinion!

I'm glad I could help! The Diana can be worn cross body, but rubbing lambskin across outfits will soften (deflate quilts) and weaken the leather..and sometimes tear. Also, lambskin is prone to color transfer. Especially for a light colored bag. I think wearing CF cross body is dependant on your body and personal preference. I can wear my CF's cross body. Although, I cannot cross body them with a large coat. I totally understand looking for that vintage gem, in perfect condition (for a reasonable price) with all of the the extras. I do think it's possible but rare. As Chanel continues to increase in popularity, prices will increase on resale websites no matter the style.

my first vintage was a jumbo with the big cc. I love it a lot. I paid a high price for it even though at that time vintage was not popular. Since then i have collected quite a bit of chanel vintage like the medallion tote, the kelly and a few others. Recently i bought a small chanel kelly ( lambskin in beige/ milk tea?) at a very high price which i regretted. This is because the lambskin is not that great, no card, no dustbag . However i am not returning it coz i have been looking for the small kelly for quite sometime. For now i will stop looking for vintage as the price is far too much for me to swallow. I think the price is high due to the pandemic and pple not being able to get the bags they wanted as supply is short? I am not sure but I think i will wait until we can travel and buy somewhere else before considering vintage again. Hopefully when we are able to get new ones easily then the price for vintage/ prelove will be good again.

Personal experience
Maybe I got lucky but my 3 series vintage lambskin CF takes scuffs like a champ and I can buff them out no problem. Same with my Chanel caviar cardholder, which I'm pretty certain is one of the most hardwearing pieces I own. I also love the CF's 24K gold-plated hardware, which Chanel stopped using after ~2008. See the photos below from when I first received the bag and photos from after my DIY cleaning and reconditioning.

Resellers
Check Japanese resellers like Brand Off Ginza (where I got my bag), Amore Vintage, and Vintage QOO Tokyo for some more palatable prices. I spent a few months tracking down different Dianas in 2019 but then saw this CF and that was it for me. Dianas are pricer now but the Japanese prices still seem better. Patience definitely pays off.

Caveats
Leather quality changes by season so researching a specific season's leather quality could be beneficial to finally finding that near-perfect pre-loved beauty. Also, the older the bag, the flatter the quilts.

Happy vintage hunting!

Before
DSC_0070_2.JPG

After
DSC_0313-wm.jpg

Before
DSC_0097.JPG

After
DSC_0320.JPG

Hi Thought I would jump in here rather than start something new :smile:

I am looking at purchasing a cross body camera style bag. Was looking at YSL Lou and Prada Diagramme but thought perhaps a second hand Chanel. I was looking at the sites mentioned above such as Amore Vintage are 100% authentic? I am nervous its my first bag purchase of any real value. If there are any other vintage resellers or sites that are worth looking at would love to know about them

Personal experience
Maybe I got lucky but my 3 series vintage lambskin CF takes scuffs like a champ and I can buff them out no problem. Same with my Chanel caviar cardholder, which I'm pretty certain is one of the most hardwearing pieces I own. I also love the CF's 24K gold-plated hardware, which Chanel stopped using after ~2008. See the photos below from when I first received the bag and photos from after my DIY cleaning and reconditioning.

Resellers
Check Japanese resellers like Brand Off Ginza (where I got my bag), Amore Vintage, and Vintage QOO Tokyo for some more palatable prices. I spent a few months tracking down different Dianas in 2019 but then saw this CF and that was it for me. Dianas are pricer now but the Japanese prices still seem better. Patience definitely pays off.

Caveats
Leather quality changes by season so researching a specific season's leather quality could be beneficial to finally finding that near-perfect pre-loved beauty. Also, the older the bag, the flatter the quilts.

Happy vintage hunting!

Before
View attachment 5060650

After
View attachment 5060653

Before
View attachment 5060652

After
View attachment 5060651
I love what you have done with the bag, looks great!
Im not sure i could do the same thing though. I live in Europe where most of these resellers don’t ship to. I use Vestiaire Collective, Rebelle or Designer Vintage. Those have a bog collection but lately I feel like the reseller market is way overpriced and just better end up buying a bag in the boutique. I am visiting a Chanel boutique today so I will see what they currently have and keep my eye out for a vintage -perfect-Diana.

Hi Thought I would jump in here rather than start something new :smile:

I am looking at purchasing a cross body camera style bag. Was looking at YSL Lou and Prada Diagramme but thought perhaps a second hand Chanel. I was looking at the sites mentioned above such as Amore Vintage are 100% authentic? I am nervous its my first bag purchase of any real value. If there are any other vintage resellers or sites that are worth looking at would love to know about them

I understand your hesitation for sure! Japan has strict legislation regarding counterfeit goods and readily enforce those laws; it's illegal to sell counterfeit goods in Japan. Therefore, I trust established brick-and-mortar vintage luxury resellers I can visit in person.

I and other TPFers (here and here) vouch for Brand Off and trust them implicitly; they have stores throughout Tokyo and their Ginza location is the largest. Amore Vintage is legit and has several store fronts throughout Tokyo; here's an Amore Vintage video tour by Romina Rose May. Vintage QOO Tokyo I haven't visited personally, but I've heard good things online.

Happy vintage shopping!