Vintage Chanel - anything to look out for?

Kuschelnudde

Jun 14, 2019
Dear community

I had a look at a vintage jumbo and.... kind of liked it? I was surprised because I do not like gold hardware at all. It’s a single flap and the leather looks quite nice.

- I heard that vintage Chanel is good quality. Is that also true for vintage jumbos?

- Do these vintage bags have a limited lifespan because they are already pretty old?

- To those who have a vintage piece, how to you care for the leather?

- Anything I should look out for?

Attachments

• 565924FF-AC42-4C82-AAA8-563652D610E0.jpeg
    565924FF-AC42-4C82-AAA8-563652D610E0.jpeg
    196.7 KB · Views: 478
  • 852F6BE4-685D-4079-90E1-7E46D5FE81F4.jpeg
    852F6BE4-685D-4079-90E1-7E46D5FE81F4.jpeg
    149.9 KB · Views: 475
Dear community

I had a look at a vintage jumbo and.... kind of liked it? I was surprised because I do not like gold hardware at all. It’s a single flap and the leather looks quite nice.

- I heard that vintage Chanel is good quality. Is that also true for vintage jumbos?

- Do these vintage bags have a limited lifespan because they are already pretty old?

I think that jumbo looks great. Vintage Chanel truly are of superior quality; I've had SAs fawn over my vintage bags and pretty much imply as much re: the quality difference as well. The lambskin is insanely hardy - doesn't scratch or scuff as easily, maintains its structure well, and there's really no contest between 24k gold plated vs the "gold tone" hardware of newer bags. I would say their lifespan is indefinite; the aesthetic/style might be another story, but the craftsmanship is unparalleled. I care for my leather with Cadillac or Apple Care to keep it supple.

Let us know what you decide! :smile:

Here's my 25-ish year old jumbo!

Attachments

• IMG_6702.jpg
    IMG_6702.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 326
I don’t have any vintage yet so I can’t helpfully address your questions but wanted to say that jumbo looks fantastic on you! I’m not usually a fan of gold hardware on me but I like the vintage styles with gold as they’re meant to look more classic, in my opinion. I’ll follow this thread!

Reactions: Kuschelnudde
Dear community
Anything I should look out for?

The vintage jumbos that I own and judging from the ones I’ve seen, tend to hold their quality better than the vintage medium flap. The quilting looks better and doesn’t look deflated as seen in many of the medium ones. I read somewhere on here that it’s because of the number or technique of stitching.
However, the vintage jumbo XL (slightly bigger than the regular jumbo) has the same deflated quilting issues as the medium flap so try to avoid that model if you can.
As for the leather quality, it’s just absolutely superior. I have 25 year old bags that look better than my newer designer leather handbags! Oh and the luscious, gleaming yellow gold hardware makes my heart skip a beat :love:

Great, thank you for all you opinions and great advice!

Interesting info about the quilting, I‘ve noticed old classic flaps getting deflated but happy to hear that this isn’t the case with Jumbos. The one in the picture is single flap which makes it a bit less bulky. I was surprised to see that the inside isn’t lined in red. I guess that seems to be true for double flaps only?

From what I read all vintage pieces should also have a hologram sticker, right?

Yes the hologram sticker is on vintage bags back at least to the ‘80s. That said I peeled off a gummy label off a bucket style bag back then not realizing what it was, so there are probably others who might have done the same thing. Get a pre owned piece authenticated and just know that a lack of sticker is not a guaranteed fake.

Reactions: OCMomof3
Dear community

That's gorgeous - How much did you pay for? Are you ok if you share the store name? Thanks!

I love vintage pieces! The lifespan really depends on how you use the bag/how well you care for it, same as with a new bag. The leather on vintage Chanels is gorgeous and also pretty durable, mine have been through the usual wear and tear of a bag and they're fine :smile: The quilts can deflate a bit over time, but I feel like it depends on the bag, it happens to some, not as much to others.

For care I don't do too much except cleaning them with leather cleaner when I feel like they need it, but I do store mine stuffed to hold the shape better, I don't like storing them flat for too long.

The Jumbo in your pic looks great!

I didn‘t end up buying it and am instead going to buy a Jumbo from my Chanel SA next week. Are you based in Germany? The shop is called ‚Luxussachen‘.
Even if you decided to buy new- that one looks great.:girlsigh: Is that the store in Galerie Luise? Is it worth going? I have heard so much about it. Did you have good feeling to buy there?
Make sure to show us your new jumbo then! :flowers:

Reactions: Kuschelnudde
Even if you decided to buy new- that one looks great.:girlsigh: Is that the store in Galerie Luise? Is it worth going? I have heard so much about it. Did you have good feeling to buy there?
Make sure to show us your new jumbo then! :flowers:

I was in the boutique in Hamburg but yes, they are reliable and I have bought from them a few times. The Jumbo is still on their website and I guess they transferred it to Hanover so you can check it out there. The SAs are always very nice in HH!

Reactions: DamierEbene
Just a reminder that Chanel instituted a rule (I don't know how flexible they are on it), that they will only approve repairs on Chanel bags that are up to/less than 5 years old and can be confirmed as purchased through them. Obviously many of us are planning on keeping our Chanels for longer than 5 years anyway...but if it's a consideration...

Going to be honest, I don't love this piece on you as much as the Caviar/Gold jumbo you modeled in the other thread. This one looks a bit old-timey. You can still buy pre-loved single-flap Caviar/Gold jumbos that aren't quite "vintage" but still fairly priced and better-quality than the flaps that came out ~2015 onward.

Still, I looooove the gold hardware on you. I just think silver/white-metal hardware for bags on guys is just too common. The blinginess of the gold is unusual and stand-out on you.

Hi! Is this vintage worth u$3200? It is beautiful.. lambskin small..from 2004-2005 i was gonna buy a brand new chanel bag .. any opinion is appreciated !

View attachment 4823293

View attachment 4823294

View attachment 4823295

View attachment 4823296

View attachment 4823297

View attachment 4823298

If I were you, I'd get a clearer pic of the front with better lighting so you can see how the quilts look. If it's in very good shape, I'd say that's a fair price!