Very big life decision to make...I need your help!

Traci

Crazy for LV
Apr 18, 2006
Hi all!

Well here is the situation. I have about 1 week to make a very big decision in my life and I don't have the time or the money to screw it up.

As many of you know I am in Psychology right now. However, as the time looms near to start the next phase in my education I keep hearing this nagging voice inside of me that fell in love with Geoscience in school. Geoscience in the area specifically in Geology. I absolutely fell in love with it and I was good at it too!

So, the thing is...with all the Psyc. I've taken so far, I am half-way to my goal already. If I change routes now I have to go back and take all the math's I need and it will take me approx. 6 months longer to achieve this goal. Also, I have two small children and will have to travel 40 minutes back and forth a few days a week as well as going to another campus a few days a week. So basically, the way it stands right now, I will go around the corner from me and have it pretty easy...or if I decide to make the change then it will be much harder on me.

Also, I am 38 years old now and I just don't know if I can really accomplish this...

I'm so confused and really need some good advice.

Thanks all!

Hi Traci,

It sounds like you have a big decision to make :nuts:

I just wanted to say I think you should GFI (go for it!). If you have discovered that Geoscience is a passion, then the hard yards to get into that field will all be worth it in the end. And remember, if you love your job you never "work" a day in your life...or something like that :upsidedown: Yes, it definitely sounds like it will be more work, and some days I'm sure you'd be kicking yourself but just think how great you'll feel knowing that the short-term investment means you get to work in a field you love for the rest of your working years...

Good luck with the decision :tup:

I am pretty sure you can accomplish anything you want to go for. 6 months in reality isn't a big deal if you ask me, and neither is being 38. the distance is a disadvantage but not really an obstacle.

for me what is boils down to: why are you thinking about this change? if you think Geo-Science will make you happier and there are realistic chances around where you are, go for it. honestly, I agree education is all about something for yourself etc but IMO it should be put to good use as well. (at least my approach for myself).

my experiences about changes: I studied abroad and towards the end I thought to change location of study (not subject) to back home but it would have meant to lose 3 years. I decided to not do that and by the time I woud have had a Bachelor's at home, I was into the first year of my PHD. so for me the change wasn't feasible really.

at the moment though I am thinking again to change, from an academic job to industry, which might mean additional education. granted, it is all within the same subject area but changes are changes.

as long as you want it, and your family is ok about it - it won't be forever. I am sure you will all pull together and manage. good luck!

I totally hear you guys. I guess I'm scared of making the wrong decision.

I was all ready...all registered for classes and everything. But this voice inside me keeps saying, "this is not what you REALLY want to do".

But I don't know if this is just a dream...or I should go with the safe and easier route. When I think about that though, I feel like I'm settling.

TOTALLY go with geoscience. It's your passion, and those are hard to find (take it from me, someone who is STILL searching for her passion, and I'm 32 and have NO CLUE what I should be doing).
You are quite blessed to know that's what you love. 6 months is such a short amount of time to sacrifice the extra work it will take.
I say go for it and follow your dream!

don't go the safe and easy route if you won't be happy. I did that and luckily I was able to go back and get a masters in something else (related but not the same) and now I love it. I had to do the driving 1-1.5 hours 4 times a week too, so I feel your pain ... but 6 months isn't that long! I will have done it for a year by the time I graduate in august. besides, your kids would rather have you happy when they see you even if it is for less time. go for it, girl!

Before making any huge and difficult decision, it helps to list all major questions and for these questions, the positves and negatives for each alternative including no change. Next, categorize the information in a table. From this easy-to-see, sorted out table, you will be able to find your answer.

In your case, some of the questions are as folows:
financial Impact in terms of cost and future earnings,
time involved and impact on you and your family members,
likelihood of success or degree of gamble,
tangible benefits such as self-satisfaction and self-esteem,
and etc., etc..

When you review your table, make sure that you discuss your thoughts with your significant other or whoever will be taking care of your young children while you are away.

BTW, I think half a year's time (too short) and age of 38 (still young) are not significant reasons that should influence your decision in this matter.

I'm in a pretty good, well-paying job and work with great people at a company that really values work-life balance. But I don't know if I love work so I'm thinking about going back to school.
This could be you too after your psychology degree. Don't regret any decision. Sure, there are easier venues, but choose the one that will lead to your happiness.

I would consider what would make you happier in the long run. I would think about which career would be the most fun and not seem like work(because that's the best job.) Would being in psychology be work or fun? Would being in geoscience be work or fun? Which would be most rewarding and enjoyable? Best of luck!

Traci, firstly, kudos to you for pursuing your studies with kids and the commute!!

Ok i guess my question is what do you want to do with your degree? Are you actually going to use it in the field you study? if you are, then you need to think what you want to do. whether you want to be in psychology or geoscience roles and they are both very different types of career/job types.

6mths is not that long and neither is the difference in commute as you will adjust. but i am assuming you are taking on debt and the longer you study, the more it will pile up.

so if you're doing this degree for personal satisfaction, then just stick with psychology. psychology is after all a very broadly applicable subject.

However, if you feel that you will still not be satisfied, then go and do gioscience.

You know, I can understand how the thought of 6 more months of school would be a factor..you are so close yet unsure.
If it was me...I would finish the psychology degree..and then go back and apply to the geology program using your existing credits...for another 6 months work in that core curruculum, you will have a 2nd degree and could pick what you are sure you want to do.
OR..finish in psychology and apply for a masters program to obtain your degree within the Geoscience area.

As for your age - girl please. You CAN DO THIS. I finally went back to school to finish my bachelors at age 39... and then got my masters at age 43. It's tough, it's time consuming..but you will feel such a sense of accomplishment... it is never too late or too old to learn. Whatever your decision, hang in there and congratulations on seeking to reach this great milestone in your life. Good luck!

Thank you all so much for your thoughts.

Let me answer some questions:

It won't really impact my family because my kids will be in school all day and I don't work anymore so I go to school full time during the day.

Also, so far, I've been able to pay my tuition without incurring any loans. I will have to take one for the graduate work though.

As far as what I'm going to do with the degree either way I know I will want to teach in the subject whichever I decide. As far as the Geoscience goes, perhaps do something different than teach, I'm not sure yet.

All I know is everytime I think about going and starting July 2nd to finish Psyc., I keep feeling like if I'm going to spend the time and money to do it, then it should be what I really want to do.

When I first went back to school, it was in science, then I switched to psyc. because it was easier...I think that was a mistake and I don't want to make another one and also I'm nervous that I won't do well in all the science courses....