Vertical veins on Epsom leather?

yoyo89

Jul 9, 2018
Sorry I am new to Hermes, please forgive me if I am asking a dumb question. :smile:

Recently I bought a beautiful red Kelly (epsom leather), but I noticed that there are some vertical "veins" on the leather (as in the black circle below). The color does not look even near the veins. I thought only Togo leather has those veins, but is it normal to see this on epsom leather?

IMG_0067.jpg

To me, these look like scratches, not veins !!! I hope this is not a brand new bag from store?
It is new from store and I saw the plastic wrap on the orange box. It does not look like scratch in person, no obvious marks or peeling. But the texture and color look a little different along those vertical lines, especially under certain lightings. I am so confused now...

Reactions: Lejic
It's not veining and it's prob not scratches. I've seen this on box bags too. Looks like where it's got caught or passed unevenly through tumblers.

Reactions: Lejic
Wow, that sounds like what they are! Thanks! As long as its “normal”... I guess I can start enjoy my special bag. thanks a lot for the info!
I wouldn't say it was "normal". It's definitely a mistake to have the leather wrinkle while being pressed. I would not accept this bag, personally.

I wouldn't say it was "normal". It's definitely a mistake to have the leather wrinkle while being pressed. I would not accept this bag, personally.

Thank you! The bag is with me now as I am back from Hawaii. Should I talk to my local Hermes boutique store to see if they can do anything?( as I don’t have plan to travel to Hawaii again recently)

Reactions: papertiger
If you are worried about quality, you should take it to the boutique (whatever is local to you) and discuss. If it is indeed a quality control issue, Hermes should take it back and offer an exchange. You don't want to constantly question this bag as you wear it.