Vera Bradley - Made in America....

Rhayne

Jan 27, 2012
Tiny back story. I picked up my first Vera Bradley item this spring and it is a wristlet. I have been coveting their bags ever since.

Last week i finally ordered one. After ordering and while waiting for the bag to come I researched more on the company. I found out that Vera Bradley used to make their bags in America but have moved to China. I went and checked my wristlet and sure enough it says Made in China on the tag. I assumed my bag would have the same tag. As soon as it arrived i opened it and checked the tag. The tag says Made In U.S.A. I'm confused. I know they discontinue patterns and bags every once in a while and bring them back out. Do i have a bag that was physically made before the company shifted to China? Or do they still make some in the US?

Here's a link to my bag, it's still on sale.
http://www.verabradley.com/catalog/...rm_state=searchForm&keyword=villager&x=13&y=2

Below are two photos of the tag. I'm sorry if they are huge. I dont know how to resize the photos.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 1,807
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 1,706
You must have bought NOS (new old stock). When the company went public back in 2011 (I think, could have been 2010), production moved to China. They still have a physical presence in Indiana. Check out Vera Bradley's blog, "Inside Stitch", for a particularly long meandering 'china vs. usa' argument. Many think it's old news, and I do, too. How many of us own many other items made in other countries?

The pattern and style you have are old. They both have been discontinued. So, it is safe to say your bag was made prior to the shift to China. The Villager is a great bag. If you compare it to the Three-O tote that is a current similar style you will see great differences in the quality.

I've read reviews on the Villager and how people seem to love it. I've only used it 3 times and I too am already in love! The straps are little hard to get used to because I'm used to straps that are shorter and kind of stick to the shoulder but after a couple tugs it stays put. The color is fantastic and will definitely be a pick me up in the later winter where everything has been grey and dreary for months.

Oddly enough, I even passed by the Coach store at the mall this weekend without going in. My boyfriend said "Don't you wanna go look" and I said "No, I've got a new bag, I dont need to look" lol. Needless to say he was surprised and happy.

Production has moved to China but perhaps not of everything.

If you check out you tube video of one of the great VB reviewer- flyusaa321 or something like that, she noticed a difference in same product in 2 different patterns, one made in China and other made in USA. She talks more about the differences and likes quality of the Chinese better.
My point is, both of those are quite recent patterns introduced post 2011. So I believe not everything is made in China even now.

I try to buy made in USA as much as possible. I am all about supporting our own economy, wherever you may live. Does anyone know if there is a list of patterns that were made in the USA. I would love to find on old made in the USA of I can find a pattern I like. I think it can be a great beach bag.