VENT! Wire from braces stabbing my gum

honeyspice

O.G.
Feb 19, 2009
Sorry this is a venting post! :cursing:

I have braces for a year and half now, and the end wire has been stabbing my gum ever since they used a very thick wire for my braces. Ever since I have a different dentist looking after my braces at the orthodontics office, she never bothered to cut down the wire to the length of the previous ones. I had asked her numerous time to try to cut the ends, but she either tells me:
- use the wax
- it's inevitable when teeth tightened the end will just get longer (which totally did not happen)
- braces are painful anyway

She did tried, but what she did was cutting bits of the wire off, so now the wire becomes sharper and not shortened. I've been requesting it over a year already and she still does not want to do it. This is RIDICULOUS! Shortening the wire is feasible, unlike the pain from the brackets which I can understand, so her slacking is really pissing me off.

Just a question, would your orthodontist cut the wire for you if it's stabbing your gum so bad, or tell you to just suck it up like mine? Would they be willing to take out your wire to shorten it if it's too hard to cut it with it on the braces?

The ortho's assistant would always trim the wire when I complain about it scratching my gums/inside of my mouth. I'm very surprised you were told to suck it up! You can't - it's so bothersome and intruding and wax doesn't work well if the wire sticks out too much!!

I'm sorry to hear that. I know it can be a pain. My dentist always made sure my wires were not poking me before I left the office and if they were, he would cut them anytime they were poking me. You should go back to your dentist and stress that the wires are poking you and it is interfereing with your daily life and putting wax on it will not help.

That is rediculous. It's been quite some time since I had braces, but there is no reason that the wire cannot be shortened. It sounds like she just doesn't want to be bothered with it. The wax is meant to relieve irritation, not stabbing from a wire that can easily be cut.

My ortho or their assistant would always cut the wire, even before it was stabbing me. If they felt it was long, they'd cut it down, probably the only good thing about my ortho, she was terrible with everything else..