*vent* ebay item not arrived + defensive seller = ugh

BHmommy

O.G.
Mar 12, 2008
most of my ebay transactions to date have been positive and flawless, especially ones where i am the buyer. so on 10/26, i BIN some silly bandz for $3.99 for my son. on 10/29, i get an ebay ship notification that the seller shipped the item (but no tracking #). as of today 11/10, i have not received anything, so i email the seller through ebay mentioning politely that i have not received anything and asking which shipping service they used, as it will be 2 weeks at the end of this week since they shipped, and it normally doesn't take that long to ship within the U.S. (florida to california).

the seller responds:
"Hi Again, and thank you once again for your business, I just went back to check with my shipping service on when it was mailed and it was already delivered to you, is there any particular reason you are contesting that? This item doesn't have a tracking number but it was shipped insured so if you'd like to proceed with a claim of non receipt we will follow through with the post office to file a claim but please keep in mind that mail fraud carries a large fine and further consequences, we will wait to hear back from you.

[Seller's Name]

PS. Just so you know, we ship these items insured rather than with tracking because we cater to lots of parents with kids that save their allowance for a long time to afford these items, also teaches that buy for their class with their own money, it would be a shame to have to increase cost on little kids in an economy that is tough as it is on parents."

to be clear, i am not contesting anything with her (yet). by contacting her first, i was merely letting her know that i had not received the item. and i didn't understand why she got SO defensive right away, citing the consequences of "mail fraud" and trying to make me feel guilty for "increasing cost on little kids" because she (the seller) failed to add tracking to the package. i understand that ebay is full of nutty/psycho buyers and it's a tough place for honest sellers, but i was just annoyed at the tone of this message from the seller, as i felt it was completely uncalled for.

i figure if the seller won't be rational, i will have to be the polite, rational and calm one, so i respond:
"Thanks for your response, I will wait a few more days for the item to hopefully arrive. What shipping service did you use, and when did the shipping service say the item was delivered to me?

To be clear - I am not contesting anything, I am simply contacting you to inquire and let you know that I have not received the item yet. I am an honest buyer (as evidenced by my excellent feedback profile) and not attempting to commit mail fraud over an item that cost me $3.99.

Like I mentioned before, I will wait a few more days. Thank you for following up on the package."

i REALLY hope the package arrives soon, so i don't have to deal with this seller much longer. anyhow, thanks for reading through my vent.

WOW! What a ridiculous passive aggressive seller (seller being substituted for another word I wanted to use!). Who in the world would react like that, especially over a $4 item? And to shroud her lack of a tracking number under the guise of pretending to care about what kids pay for shipping.....the nerve of some people. If she has insurance, the item has some sort of a number attached to it that she can give you. If she wants to play the kid card, reply that your child had saved their money for the item and was patiently waiting for it. You were simply inquiring about its status because sometimes items do get lost in the mail, that's why insurance is purchased, and you wanted to check on its status, since if it's not received it would be the seller who would need to claim it. I would continue asking for the shipping info. They must have something they can provide you with. Maybe they forgot to ship it. Normally acceptable as an accident, but after this seller's tone and accusations, grounds for feedback that reflects your experience. No buyer should ever be spoke to the way they spoke to you.

On a side note, I would be really surprised if the seller insured the package for $4. Maybe they did, but I don't think I'd even do that! $4....you can have it!

Wow! :wtf:

Her response to you was totally uncalled for, in fact I think the fact that she's so defensive only makes it more suspicious. I doubt she insured it either, she's just trying to scare you.

I think if it were me I'd file a INR claim, don't let her intimidate you.

Linda

I'd file a claim if I were you. You should have not been treated that way, what a crappy seller. It boggles my mind why she would put insurance but not delivery confirmation on the package. I think she's lying. When this transaction is completed, please leave this seller appropriate feedback. Is her feedback even good?

It almost sounds like a canned response: something that she sends to every delivery question, because who would insure for 4$? How long does a kid have to save to scrape together $4?

On another note, I wonder if the postal service is having problems lately? At least two different packages were sent to me around the same time and never arrived.

I'd call her bluff and tell her that she needs to start the "insurance claim" process because you haven't received the item. (BTW, there's no way she spent $1.75 to insure a $4 item but wouldn't spend 75 cents for d.c.)

In this case, based on her response, I'd give it a couple more days and file INR. By her own admission, she didn't purchase or include d.c. so she can't prove delivery and you'll get your refund.

thanks for everyone's supportive responses and thoughts - you guys are the best!! good news is, i did receive the item after i got home from work today, so i guess the postal service is rather slow these days... 2 weeks to ship a small, flat envelope. i am glad i don't have to deal with this seller any more - given her response to a simple inquiry, i can only imagine how messy it could have gotten should the case been escalated!

again, thanks for all the support :tpfrox:

I am so glad you received the item. I would not buy from this seller again though ;) There was NO reason for her to react that way, and if the package hadn't arrived I would've filed a claim! :smile: But glad it all worked out!!

I'm glad it worked out for you. Now i'm curious as to what feedback you're going to leave? Personally, I wouldn't leave any because what I would want to write would most likely be removed by the bay. Once again, glad you received them.

Crappy response from a seller, IMO. As to the transaction itself...a $4 insured with no tracking. WTH? :weird:

PS. Just so you know, we ship these items insured rather than with tracking because we cater to lots of parents with kids that save their allowance for a long time to afford these items, also teaches that buy for their class with their own money, it would be a shame to have to increase cost on little kids in an economy that is tough as it is on parents."

What in the world does this mean? What do kids and allowances have to do with shipping packages without delivery/sig confirmation (tracking) but with insurance, especially when insurance usually is more expensive and means diddly squat to eBay/PP when it comes to items not received?

Am I missing something here?

I didn't think you could insure an item without it automatically including tracking of some sort. Either way, how could the seller have "confirmed delivery" with the PO without tracking?? Sounds like total BS to me! Glad you got the package though and don't even have to bother with this seller :smile: