Food vegetarian husband

leighivy

Dec 19, 2006
Does anyone know any quick and easy shrimp recipes. My husband is a vegetarian and I am not so when we actually eat at home (rarely) I am usually at a loss of what to make. We both love shrimp though, but I am running out of ideas!:P

This is one of my favorite stirfry recipes, from Everyday Food. I often substitute shrimp for the scallops, as they are cheaper and I have them on hand in the freezer. I cook the shrimp prior to making the stirfry, then add them at the end right before serving to heat them through.

I pan fry my shrimp based on a technique from Cooks Illustrated:Heat oil in a pan over high heat until smoking. Put the shrimp in the pan and cook for one minute. Remove the pan from the heat and turn shrimp over and let them cook for 30 seconds. Remove shrimp from the pan, reaturn it to the high-heat burner, and when it is smoking again add the next batch of shrimp, etc.

Ingredients

Serving: Serves 4.
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 pound small sea scallops, side muscle removed
  • Coarse salt
  • 1 small onion, halved and sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
  • 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, trimmed
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon Asian garlic-chili sauce
  • 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
Directions

1. In a large (12-inch) nonstick skillet over high heat, warm oil, about 1minute; swirl to coat bottom of pan evenly. Add scallops, flat sides down, and cook until browned on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Season with salt. Transfer to a plate.
  2. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion; cook, stirring, until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Add ginger, sugar snap peas, and 1/2 cup water; cook, stirring occasionally, until peas are crisp-tender and water has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
  3. Add scallops, lime juice, chili sauce, and cilantro. Toss to coat. Season with salt, as desired.

watch forest gump honey! there will be suggestions GALORE in that movie!

SERIOUSLY!

stew, fried, baked, broiled, sandwich bla bla bla!

fettucini alfredo with shrimp is to die for!

don't forget your trusty marinades and dressings! you can definately get different flavors and themes just by walking down those isles! goodluck honey!