VCA WG brighter than Cartier WG?

Jun 11, 2009
Is VCA WG whiter/brighter than Cartier’s? I know that non-diamond Cartier pieces aren’t rhodium plated so they are more gray/stainless steel looking but their pieces with diamonds are rhodium plated.

Are both WG VCA non-diamond and diamond pieces rhodium plated? I’m considering sweet WG MOP earrings or a WG pave pendant and wondering if the WG is shiny, bright white or grayish on those pieces. Thanks!

Is VCA WG whiter/brighter than Cartier’s? I know that non-diamond Cartier pieces aren’t rhodium plated so they are more gray/stainless steel looking but their pieces with diamonds are rhodium plated.

Are both WG VCA non-diamond and diamond pieces rhodium plated? I’m considering sweet WG MOP earrings or a WG pave pendant and wondering if the WG is shiny, bright white or grayish on those pieces. Thanks!
I don't have any experience with Cartier WG but I really like VCA's WG after having the perlee couleurs earrings in Turquoise WG for a while.

They are very white and I don't see any grey tint in it.

I am starting to appreciate VCA's WG more and thinking about adding more WG pieces from VCA.

Yes, VCA white gold is rhodium plated, with or without diamonds. I have the 5 motif chalcedony and wear it almost daily for over a year now, it stays looking white.
That’s good to hear! I am considering the sweet MOP earrings again and leaning towards WG but wanted to know if VCA WG is white and bright. The beading around the motif will probably reflect light as well.

To me, VCA WG has always stayed white and bright. I love it. It’s whiter than Cartier WG but to be fair I have only one WG Cartier piece. When I had the WG Ecrou from Cartier that looked very shiny and white but I did not keep it long so don’t know about the longevity of the whiteness.
Do you think MOP looks better in WG or YG? Does the MOP appear more grayish set in WG?

That’s good to hear! I am considering the sweet MOP earrings again and leaning towards WG but wanted to know if VCA WG is white and bright. The beading around the motif will probably reflect light as well.
Tbh, the beads don't reflect light all that much despite them looking white and bright with the rhodium plating. It's the chain on the pendant and bracelet that tend to catch light and appear shimmery because of how they're cut and polished. So don't bank on the beads for adding extra glow to the MOP, just focus on the MOP with the most desirable luster & texture to your liking when it comes to earrings.

Tbh, the beads don't reflect light all that much despite them looking white and bright with the rhodium plating. It's the chain on the pendant and bracelet that tend to catch light and appear shimmery because of how they're cut and polished. So don't bank on the beads for adding extra glow to the MOP, just focus on the MOP with the most desirable luster & texture to your liking when it comes to earrings.
Ooh I see. I saw some pictures of the MOP with YG and like it as well when I’m typically not a YG person. Do you think MOP is better in YG or WG? It looks like the MOP stands out more in YG. I’m just unsure because I don’t have any other YG jewelry (I have WG and RG) but that doesn’t mean I can’t get them in YG right? :lol: WG “makes sense” because it’ll go with some of my existing jewelry and I also don’t see that combo around as much. I see a lot of MOP YG…but that is a classic combo. Then throw carnelian RG into the mix lol. I love a dark red but don’t think it’d be as versatile as MOP?

Ooh I see. I saw some pictures of the MOP with YG and like it as well when I’m typically not a YG person. Do you think MOP is better in YG or WG? It looks like the MOP stands out more in YG. I’m just unsure because I don’t have any other YG jewelry (I have WG and RG) but that doesn’t mean I can’t get them in YG right? :lol: WG “makes sense” because it’ll go with some of my existing jewelry and I also don’t see that combo around as much. I see a lot of MOP YG…but that is a classic combo. Then throw carnelian RG into the mix lol. I love a dark red but don’t think it’d be as versatile as MOP?
For MOP WG vintage Alhambra, I encountered one pair with slightly purple or lilac tone two years ago. I almost got tempted and purchased it but I was thinking about tiger eye so I dropped the idea. WG MOP looks very elegant and chic.
I like pink tone of MOP in YG and Purple or blue silver cool tone in MOP in WG.

Reactions: ChanellenahC
I have the Perlee pieces and I believe the white gold is brighter because of the beading, it reflects light and makes it look a lot whiter than it is. Cartier is always a premium for something which is rhodium plated unfortunately

An SA once told me that when VCA chooses the MOP for a WG piece they look for cooler toned MOP versus warmer toned MOP for YG. That makes sense but unless you have access to WG and YG MOP pieces to compare on a regular basis this comment would be hard to verify. I have a vintage pendant in WG MOP and the MOP looks cooler toned than my YG MOP pendant but that could also be an optical illusion due to the MOP picking up the color of the metal it is set in. Just look at the piece you intend to buy and judge for yourself.

An SA once told me that when VCA chooses the MOP for a WG piece they look for cooler toned MOP versus warmer toned MOP for YG. That makes sense but unless you have access to WG and YG MOP pieces to compare on a regular basis this comment would be hard to verify. I have a vintage pendant in WG MOP and the MOP looks cooler toned than my YG MOP pendant but that could also be an optical illusion due to the MOP picking up the color of the metal it is set in. Just look at the piece you intend to buy and judge for yourself.
Does the YG bring out the pink colors of the MOP more? I wish I could see the pieces in person and have a choice between stones and metals, but unfortunately they don’t have any in stock. It would have to be ordered, sight unseen.

VCA white gold contains Palladium as its alloy which contributes to the prolonged whiteness of the metal. Other alloys tend to change while Palladium does not. Palladium is also less of an allergen than, for example, nickel. The rhodium plating adds additional brightness. I always say palladium white gold should be the standard! I do not believe Cartier uses Palladium.