Variations in Distressing of the Leather

I just received my first B-bag on Friday--it's a black city bag. I purchased from Balenciaga NY and the SA actually included a note that said I didn't need to put anything on the bag to protect it and that the leather would get even better with use.

kylieReese said:
I know when I get my bag I'm going to wear it everyday so that the leather gets like the old leather. thats what this Neimans SA told me that the more you wear the bag the better the leather gets. Has anyone else heard of this??>

YES. I've been carrying mine exclusively for the last 4-5 months and the leather has gotten better. Even the color has darkened.

valerieb said:
I just received my first B-bag on Friday--it's a black city bag. I purchased from Balenciaga NY and the SA actually included a note that said I didn't need to put anything on the bag to protect it and that the leather would get even better with use.

Valerieb - what is the leather like on your City?

I have a black city (2006) and the leather's fantastic. It's quite shiney and seems to have a cracking effect in the leather, there's no colour differentiation on the bag, more of a shiney/dull crackly look, but the softest leather I have felt in my life.

Loganz said:
I am a fan of less distressing, this is what has me surfing Ebay for older season bags instead of just buying new ones.

My Twiggy has thin distressed leather and I do not like that as much as my City and Hobo, which have smooshy leather. My box (which I am selling) is a 2006 but the leather is not distressed, crinkly, I guess I just got lucky with that one.

Loganz- is it true that Balenciaga is returning to the older style leather for Fall 2006?

jag said:
Loganz- is it true that Balenciaga is returning to the older style leather for Fall 2006?

That is most definitely the buzz going around. Supposedly, this is what the associates at Bal NY are telling their best customers.

That is interesting! After reading this forum for some time, I'm soooo curious about the Balenciaga bags and the addiction they obviously create! Still, I haven't got used to the shiny/distressed quality of leather (yet, anyway) and would def. wait until fall for my first b-purchase if there is a less distressed leather coming up.

Good idea, I will consider that - but it might be easier if I could meet the SA in person. As it is, I have to email the LVR staff instead...
(No Balenciaga bags where I live)

I was in NM an hour ago, looking at the B-bags they had in stock and there is definitely a difference in the leather when you first buy it. The bags on display weren't nearly as soft and supple as my bag...I guess B-bags bloom when they get some lovin'! :amuse: