Vanity Sizing...

EMMY

O.G.
Aug 2, 2006
I was just reading a thread about Tara R and a few (hilarious lol!!) comments about what size some members are got me thinking..

I have this 'catsuit' (I call it anyway) ..It's this one piece, black, long sleeve-turtleneck thingy that zips up the back..I've had this thing NO LIE for like 20 years lol!!! It's just one of those d*mned things I just don't throw out from season to season..but I DO wear it occasionally...when I have stuff to do outside in the winter..I wear it w/ a black puffer coat & white snow boots when I'm doing my Christmas lights..hauling stuff to our storage shed etc...

MY POINT IS..I noticed today it's a size 6..and NOW I am an XS or a 00/000 zero in some stores...What the?!?!? I am the same weight that I was in high school...115, 5'4"..I'm very thin but I have an atheltic build so I'm not emaciated (oh gawd I hope I don't look like Tara) But what is up with the sizes today? It's ridiculous...SO...20 years ago I was 4-6, now I'm a ) ZERO....What is up with the designers? And what will a ZERO be twenty years from now.....a -12 lol!!! Sorry..just had to comment..Emmy's been into the wine again ..eep!! :nuts:

I agree, I think the whole issue is rediculous and has been taken too far. I have read articles about Gap being accused of this. I am sorry but I am not going to shop at one store over another because in store A I am a size 0 and in store B I am a size 2!!!!

Ive read about vanity sizing in an article before! I think it was Vogue or Vanity Fair. Anyway, it said that some of todays designers are fiddling with sizes. Meaning someone who would be a size twelve at - could be a size eight at -. The size eight is actually a twelve in most stores, but its an eight in that certain store to make the buyer feel better about their weight! I dont like the idea because if Im xs in - but then a medium at -, I feel like Ive gained weight or get frustrated with sizes in general. So Im not fan.

Ive read about vanity sizing in an article before. I think it was Vogue or Vanity Fair. Anyway, it said that some of todays designers are fiddling with sizes. Meaning someone who would be a size twelve at - could be a size eight at -. The size eight is actually a twelve in most stores, but its an eight in that certain store to make the buyer feel better about their weight! I dont like the idea because if Im xs in - but then a medium at -, I feel like Ive gained weight or get frustrated with sizes in general.

EDIT: Sorry about double post! Thought it didnt go through.

Oooh, I hate vanity sizing! When a store has to start making clothes in size 00 because 0 isn't small enough, then they should re-evaluate their sizing policies. Gap/Old Navy/Banana Republic are the WORST at this. I'm about 5'6"/125 lbs. and can be anywhere from size 2 to 9, depending on where I'm shopping. Not even clothes that go by measurement are safe--a size 27 jean doesn't necessarily mean a 27" waist, nor do all size 27 jeans fit the same! I just wish for some consistency. Makes it so hard to order clothes online, because you have to guess if the brand fits true to size, or if they vanity size.

I think vanity sizing is very real and pretty dumb. Who really cares.
marilyn monroe was apparently a size 12? I wish Hollywood would go back to her ideal instead of the stick figure tartletts currently en vogue.:yucky:

I really hate this! I never know what size I am from store to store! But mens' clothes aren't like this. I think it is a conspiracy engendered by the patriarchy to keep womyn down!!!

I think vanity sizing is very real and pretty dumb. Who really cares.
marilyn monroe was apparently a size 12? I wish Hollywood would go back to her ideal instead of the stick figure tartletts currently en vogue.:yucky:

Amen! Or more appropriately: AWOMEN!!:yahoo:

Emmy, I was around your weight 20-30 years ago and typically wore size 6-8. Fours were unheard of!!! Hey, you're old enough: Remember the clothing store chain, 5.7.9? That was where we "skinny" gals shopped then. Nothing was under a size 5.

Edit note: HOLY SCHMOKES!!! 5.7.9. shops are still around, but guess what? They stock size 00 now!!! :wtf:

Gap and Old Navy drive me crazy for their sizing. The stuff just doesn't fit me, what normally would be my size is SWIMMING on me! Same with New York & Company. Their clothing runs big, it might say size two, but it's bigger than that!

5'4" and 115 lbs? And you say you are buying size 0 clothes? Where?

That is exactly my weight and height and I am a size 4 (size 27 jeans). I have only occasionally been able to fit a size 2, and never a size 0/00 in any brand.

Sorry, but I don't feel bad for "00" girls. Vanity sizing is aimed towards people like me-- I would be considered too fat by 90% of people, but it makes me feel damn good to wear a 12 instead of plus size clothes. I realize that it's just a marketing trick, but it honestly makes me feel better about myself. I don't care if skinny people want to flame me for it; I don't feel bad :blah: