Van Cleef & Arpels Bouton d'Or Necklace-Opinion please!

• Thread starter Deleted member 626500
  • Start date

Pendant or Necklace

• Pendant

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Necklace

Votes: 54 80.6%

• Total voters
I've now tried both styles of the WG/RG Bouton d'Or necklaces. Help me decide please!

View attachment 5694524

View attachment 5694525
Oh my both look divine on you!!! The pendant is a showstopper but I absolutely love the necklace on you. It’s just so elegant but you can pull it off casually too with your denim shirt. I feel like it would be more versatile that way. If I remember correctly you also already have the long pendant bouton d’or? So I wonder if the necklace would be more unique in your current collection. Either way can’t go wrong but my vote is the necklace for you!

What a fun dilemma! They are both beautiful on you. I have a slight preference for the pendant as it’s a statement yet seems a bit more wearable. That’s just my preference though as I do tend to grativate to pendants.

Hi! Great necklaces, and both look gorgeous on you.

My vote goes to the necklace. It makes a great statement. The pendant is nice too, but for me, it's more of the usual "pendant-on-a-chain" theme. The necklace is far more artistic.

On the necklace, the two-tone gold necklace in your photo is certainly nice if you are looking for a "metal" necklace (there is a lot of metal).

If you might be interested in something a bit more unique, I like the chrysoprase and onyx version:

Same necklace, but two different looks, so it's really what you want.
The all-metal version is safe. The chrysoprase/onyx version is wow to me. It would look very chic with your outfit.

On both necklaces, I would ask VCA to shorten a bit. Both seem a bit long on you, especially the necklace.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps in your decision.

Oh my both look divine on you!!! The pendant is a showstopper but I absolutely love the necklace on you. It’s just so elegant but you can pull it off casually too with your denim shirt. I feel like it would be more versatile that way. If I remember correctly you also already have the long pendant bouton d’or? So I wonder if the necklace would be more unique in your current collection. Either way can’t go wrong but my vote is the necklace for you!
You are absolutely right. I have the long pendant/necklace in Chrysophase/onyx, but I keep returning to the rose gold/white gold combination. I love how it's understated and the way it harmonizes against my skin. It's a soft look, unlike so many necklaces I've seen.
Having now tried both, I'm leaning towards the necklace for exactly the reasons you expressed. It seems more versatile than I expected, in that it can be worn casually or formally, whereas my sense is that I would wear the pendant casually only. Since I already own a pendant in this collection I think it makes sense to go in a different direction even though it's from the same collection.
Thank you for helping me organize my thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are absolutely right. I have the long pendant/necklace in Chrysophase/onyx, but I keep returning to the rose gold/white gold combination. I love how it's understated in that it harmonizes against my skin.
Having now tried both, I'm leaning towards the necklace for exactly the reasons you expressed. It seems more versatile than I expected, in that it can be worn casually or formally, whereas my sense is that I would wear the pendant casually only. Since I already own a pendant in this collection I think it makes sense to go in a different direction even though it's from the same collection.
Thank you for helping me organize my thoughts.
Seeing your photos I’m also very surprised that the necklace can be worn beautifully casual even with its sophisticated design! The RG/WG combo is gorgeous and I think would go with a lot of different outfits. Really loving the idea of the flexibility of the necklace. You have such amazing pieces already, I think the necklace would be a stunning addition. Can’t wait to see more photos of how you style them together :love:

Hi! Great necklaces, and both look gorgeous on you.

My vote goes to the necklace. It makes a great statement. The pendant is nice too, but for me, it's more of the usual "pendant-on-a-chain" theme. The necklace is far more artistic.

On the necklace, the two-tone gold necklace in your photo is certainly nice if you are looking for a "metal" necklace (there is a lot of metal).

If you might be interested in something a bit more unique, I like the chrysoprase and onyx version:

Same necklace, but two different looks, so it's really what you want.
The all-metal version is safe. The chrysoprase/onyx version is wow to me. It would look very chic with your outfit.

On both necklaces, I would ask VCA to shorten a bit. Both seem a bit long on you, especially the necklace.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps in your decision.
I originally thought I would need to have the necklace shortened but now that I see it on, I'm not sure.
Curiously, when I hold it up so it sits shorter, it seems to give off a bit of a matronly vibe.
However, I appreciate your input, it gives me another perspective, one I intend to revisit. The important thing is that the links are there, so they can always be removed if I decide to do so.
In case you're interested (I love this collection), the pendant wouldn't need to be shortened; it's an open chain, so the length can be manipulated by choosing any link for the lobster clasp.

The pendant! I love both but the pendant seems more wearable. I would've liked the necklace in some stones with color.
Thanks for sharing modeling pics.

I'm very design-oriented and I think the necklace is a standout piece. It somehow manages to be stunning, yet understated, both at the same time. I love the versatility of being able to dress it up or down, as it looks great with the shirt you are wearing, but I could see it looking equally amazing with an evening dress.

The pendant is nice but it doesn't have the same wow factor as the necklace, and at the same time, it also calls more attention to itself. I think it's the proportions and colors. It is 'louder' if you know what I mean. It's really nice, don't get me wrong, but compared to the necklace, it just doesn't stand a chance in my eyes.