US Customs discussion - airports, importing

OMG!! I'm so sorry this happened to you. That's awful and completely inappropriate of him to have comments on your purchases as he rifled through your personal belongings. I understand it's his job but he should do it in a professional manner. I agree with someone above that people abuse their power when they know you can't argue back. He should do his job silently and no judgey commentary necessary.

I interacted with four customs people coming through Newark last week. Every single one of them judged me on how expensive my items were. To the point where I jokingly said, "You sound like my husband."

NanamiRyu --Thank you so much for sharing your experience -- I think we all learn from hearing each other's customs stories.

Good thing is, that's probably the worst scenario of declaring, so it would always be better next time. I shall never try to lie. I can't imagine being searched all the time after getting caught lying about it. I heard you are to be blacklisted for seven years!

I interacted with four customs people coming through Newark last week. Every single one of them judged me on how expensive my items were. To the point where I jokingly said, "You sound like my husband."

LOL! Were you with your husband at the time?

I had the same thought! Imagine what he would've done if I didn't declare and got pulled.:shocked:

Oh yeah, the duty wasn't bad. I mean, my Herbag is about $900 or so cheaper, so that "discount" alone covers the duty for everything. It was the whole standing there for an hour while he went through stuffs that was frustrating. My legs went dead half way through. I felt as if I was back at the queue for FSH.:doh:
That queue is still scaring me !

Good thing is, that's probably the worst scenario of declaring, so it would always be better next time. I shall never try to lie. I can't imagine being searched all the time after getting caught lying about it. I heard you are to be blacklisted for seven years!

LOL! Were you with your husband at the time?

I was alone...which made them think I was really peculiar.

Hi All- Came back from Paris this past Saturday into Denver and was happy to report that there was virtually no line (my global entry membership isn't complete yet because my interview isn't scheduled until June- I actually made it faster through customs without my global entry than the people there at the GE kiosks), I didn't have to pay anything, and I didn't have to wait for bag inspection. From walking off the plane to walking out the door of the terminal it was 20 minutes max. Very pleasant experience and not what I was expecting at all!