Urgh, please tell me I did the right thing.

IntlSet

Bonjour!
Jan 29, 2006
Yesterday I found a pigeon who was lying on the ground convulsing. It looked to me like the symptoms of rat poisoning, if I had to venture a guess. I observed it for a while before I picked it up and put it in a box (obviously with the lid off!!) while I made calls to every vet in the city.

Since it was Sunday, 99% of them weren't closed. I finally got ahold of an "emergency vet care" place and was told that they don't treat pigeons, they will only put him to sleep.

I kept thinking, oh, maybe he'll get better, maybe he's an epileptic pigeon, but it seemed extremely clear to me and my SO and he was simply not okay and was in a great deal of suffering. So I took the pigeon to this emergency vet and asked that he be put down.

The receptionist absolutely CRINGED from even touching the box with the pigeon. I am SHOCKED that someone who works for a vet would have such an adversion to an injured animal. She finally took the box and said she put it in a room in the back where it would be euthanized.

I was crying hysterically when she asked me for a donation, so I gave her $50 in cash. Her reaction to the pigeon makes me wonder... I just hope the vet actually came around in a timely manner to put the poor thing out of its misery.

And I hope I did not make a mistake about how much suffering the pigeon was in, but it looked very, very bad to me, and as if he wouldn't get better.

Anyway. I should have stayed to make sure they put the little guy to sleep without waiting too long. Sometimes I worry that people who deal too much with animals become callous, especially with smaller animals or animals perceived to be "dirty" like pigeons.:sad::crybaby: I hope I did the right thing bringing him in. Maybe I should've tried harder to find a wildlife center. I don't know, though. I'm in the hear of the city of Chicago. Anyway, I had only my blackberry with me and I think I did the best I could.

Thanks for listening.

You did everything you could have done and it is so nice of you to treat the pigeon like any other animal. I know not everybody would have done what you did. Thank you!

I really hope there was a vet around to take care of that poor pigeon soon. I hate so see animals suffer. The receptionist should look for a different job if she thinks that some animals are superior to others.

I know German vets treat wildlife animals or strays for free and they have to help every animal, no matter what.

We once found a poisoned cat on the street. The neighbours even told me that it was there all day dying and nobody cared. I could have slapped every single on of them after they told me they put rat poisoning out because the cats would go on their lawn. We rushed the cat you the vet, but there was nothing he could do to save her. He put her to sleep. At least she didn't have to suffer anymore.

I wish there would be more people that care as much for animals as you do. Please don't feel bad. You cared about an injured animal and that is what counts.

It's heartbreaking no matter what. I helped a neighbor with a feral cat that was injured in her driveway, and took it to my vet. Since the cat was so injured/sick they ended up putting it down.:crybaby:Eventhough it wasn't my cat I felt awful.

You are a good person, and you did a very kind thing... I am sure that the pigeon was very grateful to you for showing him compassion when he needed it most. Hugs and don't be hard on yourself.

That was the right thing to do and I hope the vet put it down soon after you brought it in so it didn't continue to suffer.

Years ago a bird was attacked in my yard by a roaming cat and I took it to a nearby vet and they said they would treat it if they could but it might have to be put down, which is better than for it to keep suffering.

You absolutely did the right thing. I wish there were more people like you in the world, it would be a much kinder place. All life is important. You would think a vet or someone working in a vet's office would be aware of that fact. If it makes you feel better I would have done exactly the same thing.

One day I found a dove on my front porch. It looked to me like it had hit my front window and fell. I took her to a Wildlife rescue. They said she had swelling in her brain probably from hitting the window. They gave her an injection to try to reduce the swelling but it didn't work so they put her down. It was very sad but I was glad I found someone who cared enough to help.

You absolutely did the right thing. Most people would have walked right on by I'm sure.

:flowers: Thank you for helping that poor bird. I'm certain you saved it much suffering.

I think you did a great thing, IntlSet. I don't think you could have handled that any better, and it was really generous to give the donation like you did. Maybe call that vet and follow up with what happened, when the pigeon was put down, etc? Who cares if they find that annoying... I think it's ridiculous the receptionist acted the way she did! You have such a kind heart. I'm sure you saved that sweet animal from a lot of pain. :heart:

aWww...(((HUUGSS)))... you saved the pigeon from a LOT Of pain. You're a very sweet & caring person to pick it up and bring it in. I'm sure it's looking down from pigeon heaven thanking you :yes:. Kudos to you! :tup:

You absolutely did the right thing. That bird is lucky someone found him that cared and didn't just leave him there to suffer.

We found an injured pigeon in the parking lot of my university a few years ago. We brought him to a vet clinic that takes in and rehabilitates wildlife, but they had to euthanize the bird. It was sad, but I knew my heart was in the right place. Euthanasia is much more humane than just waiting for death to take them.

I'm sorry the receptionist acted like that, though, that's not only sad but also unprofessional (given her place of employment!). It's not like you expected her to take the pigeon out and cuddle with it.

You absolutly did the right thing, the receptionist on the other hand behaved unprofessionally and shouldn't be allowed to work with animals. Every animal deserves to be treated with care and compassion.

Lakritze - what an abhorrent story, poor cats.

I think you did a great thing, IntlSet. I don't think you could have handled that any better, and it was really generous to give the donation like you did. Maybe call that vet and follow up with what happened, when the pigeon was put down, etc? Who cares if they find that annoying... I think it's ridiculous the receptionist acted the way she did! You have such a kind heart. I'm sure you saved that sweet animal from a lot of pain. :heart:

TTucker is right, this is very good advice... give the vet a call and I bet you will put your mind at ease!