Urgent Advice please regarding Car and Garage

Saich2

O.G.
Sep 4, 2006
I had no idea where to ask this ,,,is their anyone on here that knows about cars and what I could do????
I am in the UK and am totally at my wits end.
I shall try and make this brief but it is a bit of a story so please if you can help be so grateful
I have a Ford Focus Titanium 1.8. Never had a moments problem with it. 4 weeks ago the oil light keep coming on and off, check oil all was fine, but took it to my local garage who have been good up to this point. They was super busy because of the extreme weather we had here, did not look at the car but said its more then likely the cold weather and would be fine...never told me not to drive it. Went back in their 2 days later as oil light was staying on longer again he said the same thing.
On the 5th March early morning was going to next village engine made a noise then it went dead. Someone I knew was passing and gave me a lift back to where I live. Phone garage who was now open, they did not want to know told me to get it tow to a garage in the village it was near. So did that...this new garage are meant to be good but expensive. They tow it on the 5th to their garage where it sat outside 2 weeks

2 days later they told me I need a 2nd hand engine have no idea if this is true or not....cost would be £1600 so said to go ahead and would get the money (some how). They order the engine on the 8th said be here on the 9th or 12th which so they say did....it was not till the 16th they put this car up on a ramp to start work...I was told its a 10 hour job.

I phone this past Wed 21st they said all was going well other engine gone in had a few little things to do then test it and would have it on the 22nd in the morning. It got to 22nd at 1.00p.m and rang them to see what was happening they said they ran it for 15 minutes then it broke the new cam belt they put on it....ask what this meant and because I am a women ( well that's what it felt like) was told not to worry and they need to find out what caused it....I said has it done anything to the engine and was just fob of.
Phone another garage who I have since found out was good they told me if the cam breaks it can bend the cylinder valves in engine...so rang up the garage again where car is, a temp who was working their said she would take the phone to the owner ..I don't know if he knew I could hear him but the language that came out of his mouth as I had phone again shock me that F women he called me a B and then the F word again. All I wanted to know is what was happening and if it had effected this other engine they had put in. The girl came back on phone and said owner busy I said I heard exactly what he said and hung up........
They would not treat a man like this in my opinion and now have no idea what to do they have my car. I live alone and don't have a man friend or anything like that just the odd person I know and cannot ask them to get involved.
I have tried to call every organisation their is to get help but no one can help me ...so hence come on here thank you for listening if you read all this can anyone offer me any advice as the whole thing is making me ill. This car, and know it might sound stupid to some people but it means the world to me 4 of my dogs have been in this car one actually died in the car. My dogs are my world and to me I can still see them sitting in the back.......please if anyone has any advice please can you help thank you.

I'm really sorry for all the troubles. There could be two places to check oil if it's an automatic not manual. It sounds like the garage gave wrong advice for blinking oil light. It's now the garage's problem and you should only accept a fully functional repaired car for the agreed price. Is there another garage you could call for a second advice? Edit: I saw you called a second garage and they are right about bending the valves if the belt brakes.

I'll add that the advice and repairs at the first garage is not done correctly, they could lack professional skills.

Last edited:
First off, hugs to you. I'm so sorry you're encountering this. I know it's incredibly stressful, but the best thing you can do when dealing with them is stay detached and logical. I'm not saying you aren't, but I know what frame of my mind would be in if I was feeling helpless, faced with an expensive repair on the car that I used to drive around my dogs, including the one I lost (been through all of it, just not all at the same time; still can't bring myself to wipe the drool spots from the dog who passed).

It sounds like major issues. If the cambelt broke off, that could cause a lot of damage to the replacement engine. I would find out what the warranty is on the work and the engine. I would also start getting recommendations for another garage from everyone I know and take it in once the work is done just based on the fact that the cambelt broke during their tests.

When I'd be looking for a new mechanic when I wasn't as familiar with cars, the thing I'd do is ask them to show me what the issue was and to explain it for any major repair. A decent shop will take the time to do this. If they aren't, find one that will.

I hope this helps. Sending good thoughts your way.

Who checked the oil? How was the oil checked? You need to check the oil when the car has been sitting so the oil has time to drip off the internal parts and back into the oil pan, but also so it can drip off the dip stick. if you checked right after the car was running, oil could have splattered onto the dip stick, making it look like there was plenty in there.
As for what to do now, I mean...it sounds like it's one of those things that just happens sometimes. You bought a second hand engine and that engine broke the timing/cam belt. Sometimes used engines do that. Sure, he was using profanity, but he wasn't aware you were hearing it. What's the sitch now? Did they tell you when the car will be ready? It kinda just sounds like this is a garage that's super backed up with work. I'd call back today and ask when the car can be ready, get it back and never go to them again.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89