"Upscale Casual" - Festive Flair Attire HELP!!!!!!

Nov 15, 2007
Does anyone know exactly what this is? My mom has a retirement party on Thursday night at an upscale restaurant and just found out today this is the dress code - "Upscale Casual" - Festive Flair. I don't think this means traditional cocktail attire, but I'm not sure exactly what it means. It goes from 6-10 in a private room at the restaurant and on the agenda is cocktails/passed hors d'oeuvres, champagane toast, dinner/dessert, followed by speeches. My mom will also be giving a short speech 5-10 min about those retiring.

She is freaking out because she is out of town until Thursday morning, so I am responsible for pulling a look for her and probably going out tomorrow to buy her some new outfit options. I have never been to an event like this, so I am not sure what is totally appropriate. I have been to the restaurant several times for dinner and usually women are dressed in black pants, skirts, or casual dresses.

I am trying work with what she already has and have a few ideas:

1) nice black pants with a black sparkly tank top and matching long sleeve jacket with long strand of Nordstrom pears drapped a few times around her neck

2) black pants with a grey cashmere short sleeved sweater and long black beaded necklace from Nordstrom drapped around her neck

3) a floor length satin skirt with black sparkly tank top and matching jacket

What do you all think? My worry is that the pants aren't dressy enough and the skirt is too dressy for the event, as she has worn this to black tie events. The other problem is that short cocktail type dresses don't really work for her.

Any suggestions? I mean, what the heck does Festive Flair mean?!?!!?

I vote for the long skirt...always suitable for speeches + champagne.

Really, that's an asinine dress code.

Or, you can request pictures from previous parties for inspiration.

"Upscale Casual - Festive Flair"

ok... it could be worse.
If I was dressing for this, I would wear a seasonal coloured dress which is about tea length, or a pair of tailored slacks and a cashmere sweater in a festive colour which suits my colouring. Probably either ice blue and white, or green/red and black. Alternatively, gold, bronze, silver. You want something with colour though I think a christmas colour will qualify for "Festive Flair".

Discrete watch, earrings. Does she have long pearls or short? One of the women in the Chanel forum wore a 72" strand looped three times, with a large Chanel brooch pinned to the necklace. I think it would fun, with a solid coloured top, to wear pearls like that and a festive pin.

I think you should put together an outfit that is consertative but colourful and comfortable.

"Upscale Casual - Festive Flair"

Discrete watch, earrings. Does she have long pearls or short? One of the women in the Chanel forum wore a 72" strand looped three times, with a large Chanel brooch pinned to the necklace. I think it would fun, with a solid coloured top, to wear pearls like that and a festive pin.

I think you should put together an outfit that is consertative but colourful and comfortable.

Yes, it's actually my strand of pearls..I have three different ones...white, grey/silver, and black beads. They are 72 inches long, I just got them from Nordstrom. You actually read my mind, I have a mint condition vintage rhinestone pin that was my great-grandma's I was thinking about pinning to the pearls. The shape sort of reminds me of a snowflake.

Now I just need to try and find shirt for her to wear...either from her closet or at the mall!

i like the first option you posted...a black ensemble with a pop of festivities by the sparkly top. considering she's presenting to retirees, they're probably older so it's better to play it a bit more conservative.

however, she could dress it up by doing red lips and a more dramatic shoe.

btw, it's adorable that your mom asks you to be her stylist.