unfortunately, I'm having problems with my bubbly black Besace

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2006
I've been reluctant to post this, because I love my YSL bags and have had no quality issues with them--until now. Cutting to the chase, the leather on my bubbly black Besace is peeling along the seam of the strap.

Purchased it in November from Saks.com for 30% off of $1895. Carried it very carefully, fewer than a dozen times, and this defect appeared after only about four or five days carried. You may recall that another member had a similar problem:
http://forum.purseblog.com/yves-saint-laurent/besace-bubbly-leather-too-soft-378731.html

I have contacted Saks tonight. Trying to get a refund or store credit. (Not interested in returning it to them for repair, because I've heard too many horror stories on tPF about bags going in for repair to department stores or boutiques and getting lost or not being fixed for many months.) Worst case scenario, I'll take it to my own local repair place if Saks refuses to help. But I fear this peeling problem will continue.

Should've returned it sooner to them but I've been so busy. After carrying the bag today I realize that the peeling is getting markedly worse.

Will let you know how it turns out. :confused1:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• YSL defect1.JPG
    YSL defect1.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 829
  • YSL defect2.JPG
    YSL defect2.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 850
OMG Cosmo, i totally loved your besace when you posted it!
Can't believe this is happening... a $2000 bag should not have such quality control issues. I REALLY hope you can get it fixed.
I myself wanted to get the black one in the tumbled leather but it seems that this really doesn't wear well at all!!!:sad:
Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh crud! that sucks, so sorry. Hopefully Saks will fix it for you. Could YSL do a repair like MJ or do they make you take it back to the store you purchased it from?

If I were you I would stick to my guns in getting a refund or credit! I would then either find new/another Black Besace or a different bag completely.

I bought the leopard hair Besace and the first day(a bag that retailed for $2995), I wore it with a silk dress & cashmere sweater....the hair rubbed two huge bald spots! My SA gave me the whole 'don't worry we will send it out for repair'....two months later I get it back and the repair is horrible. It has sat in my armoire and I have no desire to ever use it:O(

^Thank you for your sympathy everyone.

Authenticplease, I'm so sorry to hear about your haircalf Besace. That's exactly what I'm afraid of too--having it sent out for repair by Saks and getting lost, or a shoddy and delayed repair.

So far tonight, Saks is saying its too late--returns on sale merchandise must be in 30 days or regular merchandise in 60 days. I'm kicking it up to a manager.

Oh Cosmo, that's really, really unfortunate. Especially since you were dying for the bubble leather besace. And it's a gorgeous bag, but it should not have these types of quality issues, especially for the price. I don't know what to say except maybe take that chance with Saks or maybe a local repair person. I hope it works out for you. The damage really is egregious.

OMG, I was so excited about getting the same bubbly black, and I did. So far I did not wear it because in this white Canadian winter (and in Winnipg it is REALLY WHITE) - gray nubuck felt nicer color. I was waiting for spring melting to get black purses out. Now I am realizing it will be more sensitive than suede Fendi, or sude beige bag for handling, not at all for everyday carry around bag.

I am so sorry Cosmo, we are in the same boat.

Go as high as you can to get a refund. It MUST be possible.

I bough mine on eby from a darling seller, and would not be able to do anything, she sold it in a great condition, not her fault.

Take care..Vesna

wow, that is a real disappointment. It IS really soft leather. I don't think of YSL as a company with many quality problems, do you?
They should definitely replace/refund it.
I wonder if anyone is having problems with the bubbly Easy bags? Maybe it's this type of leather. I have a bubbly leather Beguelin bag that wore all the way through on the bottom edge :wtf:.

Update: Saks wants me to ship the bag back to them for repair. That's the most they'll do because its beyond the 30 days to return sale merchandise. I'm not going that route, because of the issues mentioned above. I feel more comfortable taking it to a local leather repair place that I trust, and that will finish the job within a couple of days. Its not a difficult repair--they just need to reseal the seam. My fear is that this is going to happen on other spots along the bag as well, though. Plus we all like our bags to be perfect, right? It will always bug me.

For those of you considering buying bubbly leather Besaces or Easys, I'm not sure what to advise. Perhaps this was an isolated case, a fluke. Several members--like alouette, pikeeygrl, and Melissa Ann--have reported no problems with this type of leather. But then ninabina did have similar problems (see link above). Personally I won't buy another YSL bag made out of this material.

sorry to hear that happened! hopefully it was just that one weak spot.
some of the leathers are softer than others -- i'm finding i need to be more careful with my y tote (softer leather) than for example my calf tribute (more sturdy)

Just want to emphasize that this goes way beyond being careful, because lord knows I'm anal about my bags. I think that the way they treat this leather to make it bubbly weakens it and softens it too much.

I bought this bag around Thanksgiving, but I put it away for my Christmas-week trip to New York City.... On DAY FOUR of that trip, after carrying my new bag very carefully, this peeling started! :cursing:

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I'm anal about my bags too, and I know just how frustrating it is when something like this happens after you know you've been so careful with the bag.

I hope your local repair shop can do a great job of fixing it. And I really hope that the rest of the bag holds up better! It just sucks that you're always going to worry it holding up now. I'm the same way about my bags, I completely sympathize. What a shame.

It's definitely the bag and not you Cosmo. It looks like the edge sealer doesn't hold onto the leather well. Sometimes with soft leathers, the leather flexes a lot more than the sealer does and then the sealer gives way. I would hope that manufacturers have different sealer "concoctions" for different leathers but am not so sure. Balenciaga bags have a tendency to do this and their leather is very soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.