Unexpected Complication of Zygoma Reduction : Loss of Smile and Lip Numbness

Have you had Zygoma Reduction?

• yes I had zygoma reduction and it healed perfectly no issues from day 1.

• yes I had zygoma reduction and suffered from initial numbness, but it resolved within 3 months

• yes I had zygoma reduction and suffered from initial numbness, but it resolved within 6 months

• yes I had zygoma reduction and suffered from numbness. it has not resolved (After 1 year)

• yes I had zygoma reduction & suffered BOTH numbness and loss of smile, but it resolved in 3 months

• yes I had zygoma reduction & suffered BOTH numbness and loss of smile, but it resolved in 6 months

• yes I had zygoma reduction & suffered BOTH numbness and loss of smile. hasnt resolved (1 year +)

• No, I have not had zygoma reduction, but had FC, there were issues but it resolved within 3 months

• No, I have not had zygoma reduction, but had FC, there were issues but it resolved within 6 months

• No, I have not had zygoma reduction, but had FC, there were issues and it hasnt resolved (1 year+)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi - i was lurking here as im planning to have zygoma reduce,
but i did experience having issue with the smile where front teeth is not showing after v-line surgery with masseters muscle reduction and buccal fat removal. i look i don’t have teeth on first 2 weeks, but it healing okay and now most of my front teeth is showing though not fully

After
IMG_7912.jpeg
Before
1707815952045.png
Also, i experience it before when i had my revision rhinoplasty last july but my smile went back when the stitch of my alar resection loosened due to over laughing on friends lunch
18 days after revision rhinoplasty
1707816084331.png
Not sure if it’s the side effect if you have either nose or masseters surgery.

I’m planning to have a lip flip botox and see if it will helps

I am experiencing the same thing. The doctor did say that cheekbones are attached to muscles used for chewing (and i assume for smiling), so numbness and weird movement is normal after surgery. But i’m at 2 weeks post and there‘s been improvement with my smile, although overall I still feel stiff and numb. He said that will go away in 1-3 months.
Hi, do you mind sharing where you went ?

I've been doing a lot of exercises as well, I've also been supplementing with lion's mane , b vitamins ,and doing hot compress.

I am starting to look into peptide therapy as well for nerve regeneration . It's injected and it's supposed to make your body heal faster.

Doctor's team is telling me it's normal. What else can I say? I cant imagine any situation where the doctor will admit they messed up.

As a patient we are put in a very precarious position. They never warned me this would be a potential side effect. I wouldn't have risked my smile or muscle movements in exchange for a few mm off of a cheekbone .

I am just keeping positive and continuing to exercise my. mouth. Based on my research this seems to be a side effect of doing zygoma that people don't really talk about. It's just that I am experiencing the more extreme end.

Please think good thoughts for me! :smile:
how are you doing now at month 3 love?