Uh... embarassing question, should I go apply at Hooters? Give me courage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those aren't rumors but facts from what I have read. Hooters girls job is to to be friendly and talk to customers and sometimes you have to go to different tables and sign customers' napkins. This is not just from rumors but from reading blogs from girls who have worked there and also from reading Hooters reviews on Yelp etc.

I read that some girls can be catty and it's like high school over and over again... and sometimes men can be crass etc

Many people who used to waitress at Hooters have stated that being a Hooters girl doesn't involve sidework. I also read the same thing on Yahoo Answers from girls who used to work there.

I don't mean to be dismissive about this, but anyone can write anything on the internet as you know. Who even knows if they were really on staff there? I still think you'd be best off talking to real people who are working at the restaurant location where you intend to apply.

I don't mean to be dismissive about this, but anyone can write anything on the internet as you know. Who even knows if they were really on staff there? I still think you'd be best off talking to real people who are working at the restaurant location where you intend to apply.

I know but I read that on at least 20 blogs and also ezine articles etc
http://www.curiousread.com/2009/06/good-and-bad-of-being-hooters-girl.html

2. The Lack of Physical Effort Required
In many restaurants, servers have a hefty amount of aptly named side work -- rolling silverware, busing tables, washing dishes, sweeping, mopping, and dusting the ridiculous array of assorted crap that is tacked to the walls in nearly every mid-level restaurant. At Hooters, such mundane chores are kept to a minimum. Instead, free time is spent entertaining customers, sitting and chatting with your tables and prancing around looking pretty.

I also read the Hooters handbook on Smokinggun and it had the job requirements which required makeup, to wear your hair down etc (I have no problem with any of these btw).

Personally, I find the concept of Hooter's disgusting, good food or not. But to help you apply since you seem like you have made up your mind to do it, pretend you are an actor playing a role of someone else.

Omg, finally someone said it. I completely agree and would never eat there as part of any group. Have to say I wouldn't want a pastor taking my kids there --- omg?!

OP, I don't really see why you need to be talked into working there - just go get a waitressing job somehwere else that doesn't stress you out or embarass you.

Omg, finally someone said it. I completely agree and would never eat there as part of any group. Have to say I wouldn't want a pastor taking my kids there --- omg?!

OP, I don't really see why you need to be talked into working there - just go get a waitressing job somehwere else that doesn't stress you out or embarass you.

It doesn't embarrass me at all (I would be proud to work there) and ANY job interview etc would stress me out. I wouldn't be embarrassed to work there, just embarrassed that my business failed and that I have to resort working for someone else instead of being my own boss.

I just need a confidence booster that's all :smile:

To be honest I don't even care much what the job conditions are like and what it's like to work there. I'm just desperate for a job so it doesn't matter much. As long as tips are good.

Last edited:
I encourage you to apply. I have been going to Hooters for over 15 years. We are there every six weeks/2 months. It is a family restaurant and we have taken my son there since he was a baby. And I am no youngster.

I was just talking to my husband last night that I have been dying for wings after watching a commercial for Pizza Hut. He says - not at Pizza Hut. I said - No - Hooters of course.

Ok, I went there and it turns out I was scared for nothing. I think the hardest part is just walking in. Almost all of girls I saw were blonde... lol I saw lots of families with kids eating in there (one was at the table right in front of me when I was waiting to fill out the application and lots of couples and women eating in there too. The hooters girls were nice and one even loaned me a pen because I ran out of ink when filling out my application.

The assistant manager was friendly and told me I was hot and he could see me working there. He also encouraged me to apply at their other locations too since that one was overstaffed. And that was about it. I felt a lot of relief when I was done. It feels good just to get it over with.

I don't see what the big deal is. You need to pay your bills and feel that this will give you the opportunity to pursue other things because the schedule is flexible. What exactly do you need encouragement for? Go do it! :biggrin:

I think that I would rather do the sidework! Seriously if you want to make big money waiting tables you don't do it at a "family restaurant". If I was needing to make money fast I would put in applications at a lot of upscale restaurants. I waited tables at several fine dining restaurants years ago and rarely brought home less than 1000.00 a week. There is nothing wrong with waiting tables, it is hard work but it does give you the flexibility to make other things in your life a priority. When I did it my mom had been given 6 months to live so I took a leave of absence from my job went to Florida and took care of her. Waitressing allowed me to take care of my mom and pay my bills.

Hee Hee, this situation reminds me of the time when my older daughter told her Dad that she was going to work at Hooters. It didn't go over too well because he said he would be sitting in the booth everyday watching out for her and making sure all the creeps would not hit on her. Needless to say that was the end of that...

while i don't have a problem with hooters.... does it raise any red flags for anyone else that the manager actually told the OP that she was hot? i would think a manager would be more professional and say something like "you fit the look we're going for...." something other than "you're hot, you could work for us".
if a manager told me that it would give me the heebie jeebies.

while i don't have a problem with hooters.... does it raise any red flags for anyone else that the manager actually told the OP that she was hot? i would think a manager would be more professional and say something like "you fit the look we're going for...." something other than "you're hot, you could work for us".
if a manager told me that it would give me the heebie jeebies.

Um, yes. Considering some of the horror stories I've heard about customers overstepping boundaries when it comes to waitstaff, I really, really would not want to work somewhere where even my manager would be in on it. Inappropriate and a potential for workplace harassment.

Um, yes. Considering some of the horror stories I've heard about customers overstepping boundaries when it comes to waitstaff, I really, really would not want to work somewhere where even my manager would be in on it. Inappropriate and a potential for workplace harassment.

I'm glad other people thought the same thing I did.

I would be completely grossed out if a potential supervisor said that to me.

I think that I would rather do the sidework! Seriously if you want to make big money waiting tables you don't do it at a "family restaurant". If I was needing to make money fast I would put in applications at a lot of upscale restaurants. I waited tables at several fine dining restaurants years ago and rarely brought home less than 1000.00 a week. There is nothing wrong with waiting tables, it is hard work but it does give you the flexibility to make other things in your life a priority. When I did it my mom had been given 6 months to live so I took a leave of absence from my job went to Florida and took care of her. Waitressing allowed me to take care of my mom and pay my bills.

I agree with working at upscale restaurants. You'll get better tips. I've never worked at one but I had a friend in college who worked at an upscale restaurant that was surrounded by corporate offices. She made alot of money on tips. But she was also very friendly and knew how to handle people (not shy at all). I say upscale restaurant > Hooters in terms of pay (maybe work conditions?).

I don't know how easy it is to get hired in an up-scale restaurant. I am sure they want similar experience and I would think those jobs are hard to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.