Workplace UBER

LolliPops4

O.G.
Aug 22, 2011
Does anybody on here drive for Uber?

I have a great full time job, but used to have some really bad spending habits. I am paying off bills that have been haunting me the last several years of my life. I'm thinking of driving for Uber or Lyft part time and on weekends since I can work when I want and it will help me get my bills paid down. I'm a 31 year old decent looking female and do slightly worry about my safety.. I guess thats my biggest draw back.

Not that I've always felt like I was "above" uber drivers, but I'm slightly embarrassed to tell people. I think I'm more embarrassed to tell people i'm doing this to pay off bills because of my poor spending habits.

Thoughts?

I don't drive for Uber, but from what I've read you don't really make much when you factor in car maintenance and fuel... though that may vary depending on what country you live in.

As for safety, your local police force might publish crime statistics. If you're allowed to carry a weapon you could look at that... though please consider some kind of gun safety course if that's the route you go. Check your local laws for what's legal to do for self defence.

You shouldn't be embarrassed about taking on a second job to pay down debt! It's a responsible thing to do. Everyone makes mistakes. I've made plenty. Some I'm still paying for. Good on you for turning around your finances :smile:

Reactions: PursePassionLV
From what I hear it doesn't pay much. But it's a good side gig because you basically work when you want. A few of my coworkers and a manager do this on the side. It also depends on where you live. I live in the burbs we don't have a lot of uber drivers out here. Which IMO helps the people I do know do it. Mostly they do it on the weekends so they work their shift and sit in the parking lot and wait for a fare. Usually they have a fare in 5-10 minutes. Safety is something I'd be concerned about as well I think that the other poster gave you a few good ideas. But also factor in gas and maintenance too. If you drive something that doesn't get good mileage it might not be worth it, especially if you have to buy premium.

don't be embarrassed, you're working to pay off your bills, no shame in that. it's not like you're standing on a corner doing god knows what.
safety is an issue...a lot of drivers have their phone on talking while driving. you can connect to your friends/family (mom) to keep your safe.