Twillies?

DZK

Apr 3, 2017
Does anyone here tie twillies onto their Dooney handles, or is that just an Hermes thing? I've seen some videos where people find the handles have darkened with use, and in the case of satchels, transfer that darkening to the bag. If anyone has twillies on to prevent this, I'd love to see some pics :smile:

Does anyone here tie twillies onto their Dooney handles, or is that just an Hermes thing? I've seen some videos where people find the handles have darkened with use, and in the case of satchels, transfer that darkening to the bag. If anyone has twillies on to prevent this, I'd love to see some pics :smile:
I don't know what twillies are. But I have seen people wrap handles in scarves. They generally do that to conceal problems in the handle. Although some creative ladies might wrap handles in scarves as a fashion accent.
Years ago we used to tie a scarf to the handle of a handbag for a color accent to coordinate the handbag with the outfit.

I don't know what twillies are. But I have seen people wrap handles in scarves. They generally do that to conceal problems in the handle. Although some creative ladies might wrap handles in scarves as a fashion accent.
Years ago we used to tie a scarf to the handle of a handbag for a color accent to coordinate the handbag with the outfit.
Yes, it's the scarf people tie onto their satchel handles - I hadn't really seen that done with Dooneys, maybe because it's more of an equestrian style bag, so maybe it doesn't look quite right. Just wondering :smile:

Yes, it's the scarf people tie onto their satchel handles - I hadn't really seen that done with Dooneys, maybe because it's more of an equestrian style bag, so maybe it doesn't look quite right. Just wondering :smile:
I love scarves and have collected them over the years. I'm happy to see any renewed fashion interest in beautiful scarves. Most of my handbags these days are more interesting and colorful than they were in the past when I tied a bright colored scarf to the handle of a black handbag to perk it up and make it look like it was part of the outfit I was wearing. These days the handbags have more details, buckles, tassels, etc and don't seem to need the scarf to make them interesting. Even my more streamlined Dooneys (Alto, Toscana) are made of such beautiful leather that I'm not sure I want to distract from the bag. But for those who like purse accessories (like charms and poms, etc) a scarf would be a nice alternative way to create some interest.
But if I saw a completely wrapped handle, I would wonder if it was for fashion or if it was to cover a damaged handle on a handbag bought preloved (that had a hard life).

Reactions: DaffodilDuck
I love scarves and have collected them over the years. I'm happy to see any renewed fashion interest in beautiful scarves. Most of my handbags these days are more interesting and colorful than they were in the past when I tied a bright colored scarf to the handle of a black handbag to perk it up and make it look like it was part of the outfit I was wearing. These days the handbags have more details, buckles, tassels, etc and don't seem to need the scarf to make them interesting. Even my more streamlined Dooneys (Alto, Toscana) are made of such beautiful leather that I'm not sure I want to distract from the bag. But for those who like purse accessories (like charms and poms, etc) a scarf would be a nice alternative way to create some interest.
But if I saw a completely wrapped handle, I would wonder if it was for fashion or if it was to cover a damaged handle on a handbag bought preloved (that had a hard life).
Interesting...I hadn't thought of that (that they might be hiding something). I agree, though, that many times when I see a back decked out in scarf or charms, it detracts from the bag. But if it's to let a person's personality shine through, that's it's own type of style :smile: I don't think I can tie them on my bags in any way to make them look nicer.

Interesting...I hadn't thought of that (that they might be hiding something). I agree, though, that many times when I see a back decked out in scarf or charms, it detracts from the bag. But if it's to let a person's personality shine through, that's it's own type of style :smile: I don't think I can tie them on my bags in any way to make them look nicer.
There are a quite a bit of pics with twillies on the LV thread......I think they are trying to protect the vachetta.

Reactions: DZK
We used to just tie a rectangular scarf onto the handle.... with a square knot. If the scarf was a large square, you fold it on the point and then fold from the point inward until you have a long rope, then tie on the handle. Nothing fancy but when the scarf ends float, it's a very pretty look.

Reactions: Lilybarb
Yes, I have added double Twillies to quite a few Dooney & Bourke handbags. It is quite stylish! See below for photos of the back and front of two Dooney & Bourke Handbags.

Attachments

• EB8948C1-9705-4948-A8A3-C247A3B834E9.jpeg
    EB8948C1-9705-4948-A8A3-C247A3B834E9.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 3F11FAD9-0AEE-432D-AC3A-0BA4B647AC30.jpeg
    3F11FAD9-0AEE-432D-AC3A-0BA4B647AC30.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 67
  • B28C534C-96E3-448D-A76E-39FD2D19E021.jpeg
    B28C534C-96E3-448D-A76E-39FD2D19E021.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 67
  • AFB071B3-D39A-404B-8C25-73E31003F033.jpeg
    AFB071B3-D39A-404B-8C25-73E31003F033.jpeg
    131.2 KB · Views: 68
twillies.978449

See below for Dooney with Twilly.

Attachments

• A72D83DE-7245-4416-A23A-7F3C504AD8F4.jpeg
    A72D83DE-7245-4416-A23A-7F3C504AD8F4.jpeg
    172.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 1A174558-6DBF-48E6-8E54-DFA3DAD950F4.jpeg
    1A174558-6DBF-48E6-8E54-DFA3DAD950F4.jpeg
    145 KB · Views: 62
  • B0C70DE3-C7DB-48C7-92FC-9294C741B4F6.png
    B0C70DE3-C7DB-48C7-92FC-9294C741B4F6.png
    651.4 KB · Views: 64
Yes, I have added double Twillies to quite a few Dooney & Bourke handbags. It is quite stylish! See below for photos of the back and front of two Dooney & Bourke Handbags.

Fabulous looks!

Yes, I too have used double handle twilly-like (not Hermes brand) scarves wrapped exactly as you've tied yours. I do it on Florentine totes like the Russel and Kristin because, as lavenderjunkie points outs, other bags with lots of hardware or embellishments look overdecorated with scarves. The plainer styles look fantastic plus I use the scarves to protect the Natural color handles.

ZIP ZIP was a great idea. I wonder why it never occurred to me to try my double wrap on those, too!

I am sure your bags are lovely! I wished you had photos of the Florentine bag, that is a gorgeous bag! I disagree with lavender junkie’s theory. I have seen the Twilly on the CD Lady Dior and the LV Alma bags. The aforementioned bags, have quite a bit of metal embellishment, and look very nice when wrapped. If you have photos of your other bags, please consider sharing them. After all they are works of art!

I love your handbags with the twillies. Great looks.

As for other embellishment and handbag charms.... each to their own.
It's your handbag... decorate it and wear it in what every way makes you
happy. Personally, I remove even the original hangtags.... but I love scarfs and would consider adding twilliesr and have often tied scarfs onto the handles. :smile:

Reactions: Lilybarb
We used to just tie a rectangular scarf onto the handle.... with a square knot. If the scarf was a large square, you fold it on the point and then fold from the point inward until you have a long rope, then tie on the handle. Nothing fancy but when the scarf ends float, it's a very pretty look.
Whatcha mean used to LJ?? :biggrin: