Review Tresemme Freshstart Dry Shampoo

thegoreprincess

call me maybe
O.G.
Jul 3, 2009
I’d seen this on the shelves at my local CVS. I was curious to try it. I’d heard a few decent reviews. I figured why not? Sometimes my hair gets a little questionable when I don’t wash it and it could always use a nice little pick me up, right? Wrong.

Nice little pick me up, this was not.

This little bottle promises to refresh my hair by removing oil and odor while injecting volume. A quick spray supposedly transforms lifeless, limp hair into clean, fresh hair with full of bouncy body. (Their grammatical error, not mine.)

I don’t even know where to start.

I followed the directions like a Nazi.

Shake bottle. Spray evenly in hair 8-12 inches away. Wait 1-2 minutes. Brush out. Style as usual.

The spray left me looking like an old lady. My hair was completely white. Cool. Not a big deal. I was going to brush it out anyway.

I waited 1.5 minutes and went to brush it out. It looked fine to me in the mirror. Until my friend told me that it looked like I had dandruff.

Isn’t this dry shampoo supposed to make my hair look more pretty, not more gross?

I tried brushing it out some more, but it didn’t work.

My hair looked worse after the application. And it didn’t feel any better, either. The greasiest parts of my hair, my bangs, were left feeling like I’d dumped chalk on it, not clean or fresh as promised.

On top of that, the bottle stuff smelled like the cheap colored hairspray that middle and high schoolers use for spirit days. Icky. Oh, and the powder would not wash out of my hair brush, so I accidentally brushed my hair after a real wash and looked like I had dandruff all over again.

Bottom line? This thing costs only $5 at most, but don’t waste your money. A shower works a thousand times better.

I 100% agree with your rant. I heard such good things about this product on youtube, so I decided to pick it up for those days when I needed a quick refresh for my hair. My hair looked atrocious after using this product.

In my experience, it's exactly the same as every other dry shampoo out there. I love dry shampoo, but since I have jet black (almost purple) hair it's a hard sell. I currently alternate between Big Sexy Hair (personal fave), Batiste, and Tresemme. I feel like, if your hair is dark, spraying anything in it is going to make it look matte and even dandruff-y. I read somewhere that putting it on your hair before bed makes it look great, and that truly works. If I try it the morning of, it's not so much of a "dandruff" look as a "I combed through super heavy hair spray" look, which I hate.

I think the results are just so-so. I have medium blonde hair and it makes my hair look lighter, and the texture afterwards is pretty unmanageable, kind of stiff and chalky. It definitely does not make my hair feel "clean" at all. I still use it in emergency situations...I am SO famous for sleeping through my alarm on weekends when my son has an early basketball tournament...but other than that no.

It didn't work for me either.

I found the best dry shampoo for me to be baking soda. I keep a batch on my vanity in a sealed glass jar. I apply it to my hair with a fluffly powder brush, rub it in with my fingers, wait a minute, then brush. It gives my hair some volume too. I have also read you can use cornstarch as a dry shampoo.

I first tried this product when it first came out because I didn't want to buy the expensive one at Sephora. I have long, very black hair and this works fine. I only use a bit though, so I don't experience the whole white hair situation. I follow the instructions and I've been loving this product. It leaves my hair less greasy so it's doing its job. =)