Treating Chloe Bags

tegan

O.G.
Dec 29, 2009
Hi. Has anybody ever used a water resistant spray such as Collonil on their Chloe Bags to help protect them in the bad weather?

Not sure if they are pretreated or not? Would using a spray mark the leather on the Chloe bags?

Thanks!

Personally, I haven't, no. :nogood:

A lot of the leather is untreated and I don't really believe in doing much to it, personally.

Also, I've never found that a bit of rain has hurt them.

I sometimes think that those sprays are more psychological protection, than real protection, because I used to use them on suede footwear and all they seemed to do was ruin the finish (made it all crunchy!) and the suede seemed to get just as dirty!

I know other people swear by them, though.

Thanks chloehandbags :smile: I just never know.

I have a cole haan bag that I got several years ago and it got drenched in the rain and it dried up perfectly.

But, with the Chloe bags, they are such a great leather that I was wondering.

I never sprayed my UGG boots to be honest and never had a problem...

^ Yes, same here re. the uggs. :yes:

I have LFA uggs and I find the Choc ones get rain spots but, eventually (maybe weeks later!), they disappear, again.

Even if they didn't, I'd prefer the rain spots to the potential crunchiness! :biggrin:

I know, in the past, that most people have said their Chloes are fine without rain protection, but perhaps wait for more opinions, just to make sure, before venturing out into the rain/spraying them?

BTW, which style(s) do you have - Paddys?

No problem, BTW! :flowers:

Chloehandbags, I have the Medium Paraty in Old Pink. It is beautiful :smile: I have no Paddy's - I find them to be a bit heavy - but beautiful. Maybe one day I will get one.

Which bag(s) do you have?

Thanks so much for your help.

^ Oh, I love Old Pink! :biggrin:

I have mainly clutches - I'm somewhat obsessed with them, TBH, especially the older ones! :yes:

Really like my Elsie Clutch, too and am trying to find another one, at the moment.

The only large Chloe bags I have are my calfskin tiger hobo (from A/W '03) and another suede hobo from the season before - oh yes and a large bracelet bag from S/S '04.

I also have a couple of mesh hobos from '04, too.

My pleasure - hopefully, someone with a Paraty will comment, soon! :flowers:

Last edited:
I've used Collonil on my paddies - no problem. I didnt drench them. Just a light spray form about 40cm away. Did that once a day, 3 times. All good. Sometimes I get rain spots on my paddy hobo and large betty. They are sprayed too and the drops disappear later anyway. I think the leather is more 'naked' on those bags. It feels less coated that my other paddies. But again. Rain drops disappear, no issues at all. I mostly spray them to protect from coke spills etc. When you have kids....

I have never water-treated my bags with anything like Vectra, etc., or any spray. I have always been too scared for some reason that it might change the leather or not let it breathe.

I have several medium Paratys, including Old Pink. I have applied (very lightly) Cadillac Shoe and Boot Care lotion on Old Pink and my other Paratys. Cadillac acts as a mild conditioner (no wax and no silicone!) that lets the leather breathe yet protects it from water spots, etc. I've seen light rain bead on my bag, then disappear. I have never let my Paratys get rained on or soaked, but the couple of times I got stuck and a little rain hit the bag, it just beaded after having applied the Cadillac. Cadillac was recommended to me by the designer handbag dept. at Nordstrom and by a well-known professional leather and shoe repair shop in my city. I recommend it for Paraty calfskin leather, and other calfskin bags.

I'm sure more ladies have more advice to share....I am interested in finding out as well...

Last edited:
ive never treated any of my chloes. however i have trated a few mulberrys lately with collonil. chloe leather is very different and for some reason dont need so much care. i have never had a issue with a chloe bag.

Hi. Has anybody ever used a water resistant spray such as Collonil on their Chloe Bags to help protect them in the bad weather?

Not sure if they are pretreated or not? Would using a spray mark the leather on the Chloe bags?

Thanks!

Tegan,

I was told by my sales associate at the Chloe boutique that the Paratys (but not sure about other styles) are pre-treated. Not sure to what extent they are, but they do have some kind of treatment to the leather.