Traveling to Japan..straightener and beauty product questions.

I will be traveling to Japan soon and I'm trying to figure out if my GHD straightener will be okay. I remember reading things in the past about voltages not being compatible and sometimes the hair appliance gets fried, etc. I definitely do not want to do that to my GHD. I currently live in the US.

I'm excited to visit Japan and see all the sights but, my free time will be limited. I will be in Tokyo. Any suggestions for good beauty, makeup or hair, products I need to check out?

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited:
jomar_luvs_bags said:
I will be traveling to Japan soon and I'm trying to figure out if my GHD straightener will be okay. I remember reading things in the past about voltages not being compatible and sometimes the hair appliance gets fried, etc. I definitely do not want to do that to my GHD. I currently live in the US.

I'm excited to visit Japan and see all the sights but, my free time will be limited. I will be in Tokyo. Any suggestions for good beauty, makeup or hair, products I need to check out?

I am from Australia where we run 240v and have no problem when using my GHD in the USA. It should be ok.

Have a fantastic holiday to Japan :smile:

You need to read the text on your GHD wall plug to know for sure because this compatibility will vary by model. The plug will tell you what voltages it can handle. It should clearly denote "120V~=240V" or something similar.

If you like SK-II, try their cosmetic counters. They have full make-up line in Japan. If you are Shiseido fan, make sure that you visit Shiseido Ginza. They have all the Shiseido brands. 1st floor displays their products. On the 2nd floor, you can have your hair and make up done, and if you want you can also have a photo session. On the 3rd floor, you can experience Cle de Peau Facial and Body Treatment and make-up lessons. If you like Lush, you can enjoy Lush Spa in Tokyo.

Just got back from Japan, it was my first time there and I loved it! No issues with curling irons at our hotel. We stayed in Ginza and there is shopping and beauty items galore. Similar to NYC without all the loud honking, yelling and rudeness. For such a large city I was amazed how quiet it was.

I missed the updates on this thread and went to Japan before I saw the previous suggestions on what to check out. I had no problem with any of my hairstyling tools and voltage. The areas of Japan I was in actually ran the same voltage as the US.

Just got back from Japan, it was my first time there and I loved it! No issues with curling irons at our hotel. We stayed in Ginza and there is shopping and beauty items galore. Similar to NYC without all the loud honking, yelling and rudeness. For such a large city I was amazed how quiet it was.

Yes! I totally agree. I spent some time in Tokyo and loved it. I kept telling everyone it was a quieter NYC. With the amount of people walking, I did not once get shoved or yelled at. I did not hear one single honk. I did a little shopping in Tokyo station. It's crazy the amount of shopping underneath that train station. My time was limited so I didn't get to do everything I wanted to. I can't wait to go back for vacation and this time bring my whole family.