Travel Wardrobe

rhogiela

O.G.
Apr 20, 2008
My goal for this last year of my 20's (I turned 29 last week) is to travel as much as possible. From short weekend trips to long international adventures, I feel this is my year! I've been wondering what good, fuss free yet chic outfits and clothing you all pack when traveling. I keep thinking of black maxi dresses, jeans, scarves, etc. anyone have anything they swear by? A look that works for all locales and occasions? Please share!

leggings or skinny jeans + boots + soft, comfy shirt + scarf. a cute jacket if it's chilly. and don't forget a cute bag to complete the look. i recommend LV neverfull or longchamp tote! have fun. :smile:

Like Nauticalstar, I also swear by jersey dresses and cardigans. They pack easily, and even if they wrinkle a little, it's pretty simple to steam them with a hotel iron.

Leggings and some sort of jersey tunic are a must for me on the plane. I LOVE Zella Live in Leggings (sold at Nordstrom).

For shoes, I stick to ballet flats. For my purse, I like to travel with my Longchamp tote.

I don't travel much but when I do, I really like a skinny pant of some sort and a button up. With the right accessories you can really dress it up or down and it is very comfortable for most weather. I also try to make it a point to bring stuff that goes with each other, so a shirt that will go with all the bottoms I bring, etc. so I have some options whenever I get there, and I avoid anything overly trendy.

I wrote a long reply yesterday, but for some reason, the forums do not let me be the first to answer. So it was lost.

Personally, I hate traveling in jeans. They're too hot for summer, too cold for winter, and they (along with other thick cotton) take forEVER to air dry. I like to bring things that I can wash in the sink, hang dry, and be ready to wear the next day. For summer, linen is indispensable.

I also find my cashmere cardigans to be useful against breezes, over-zealous air conditioning, and general warmth. Layering is the key.

You know those plastic bags you get at the dry cleaner? If you wrap your clothes in that, they won't wrinkle.

I find skirts far more versatile than dresses.

Stick to one color scheme.

If you plan on visiting religious institutions, make sure to have your shoulders and knees covered.

For point of reference, I spent two months abroad with nothing more than a carry-on and was dressed for all occasions, including fancy dinners along the Riviera (I wrapped my silk gowns in the plastic dry-cleaner's bag.)

You just described my "ultimate" travel look. And good think I've got the longchamp tote already...it's so great for work, too!

leggings or skinny jeans + boots + soft, comfy shirt + scarf. a cute jacket if it's chilly. and don't forget a cute bag to complete the look. i recommend LV neverfull or longchamp tote! have fun. :smile:

Wow! 2 whole months with one carry on?! That's amazing!!!

Thanks for the tips...heading to my dry cleaners soon!

I wrote a long reply yesterday, but for some reason, the forums do not let me be the first to answer. So it was lost.

Personally, I hate traveling in jeans. They're too hot for summer, too cold for winter, and they (along with other thick cotton) take forEVER to air dry. I like to bring things that I can wash in the sink, hang dry, and be ready to wear the next day. For summer, linen is indispensable.

I also find my cashmere cardigans to be useful against breezes, over-zealous air conditioning, and general warmth. Layering is the key.

You know those plastic bags you get at the dry cleaner? If you wrap your clothes in that, they won't wrinkle.

I find skirts far more versatile than dresses.

Stick to one color scheme.

If you plan on visiting religious institutions, make sure to have your shoulders and knees covered.

For point of reference, I spent two months abroad with nothing more than a carry-on and was dressed for all occasions, including fancy dinners along the Riviera (I wrapped my silk gowns in the plastic dry-cleaner's bag.)

:bump: bumping this great thread... any tips and ideas to share? photos of course are always well received... Packing tips, outfit tips, please share.

For travelling on eurostar, (train) for a short stay in Paris: leggings, light weight cashmere tunic dress and short trench. bag: old cath kidston carry all ( 'good' Hermes bag stuffed inside, (you cannot go to Paris without a decent bag!) comfy boots from clarks
For long haul flight: always a nightmare! depends if business class or economy?
For short summer holiday: which I am hoping to go soon... I bought a jersey maxi dress, very comfortable and loose. cashmere shawl to wrap around and use as a blanket. bag: disaster designs tote.http://www.campusgifts.co.uk/acatalog/info_990293.html?ref=5!990293 Any suggestions for shoes? and does anyone else wear maxis to travel? my rationale being that the dress is in-destructible, un-creasable super-comfortable and I can dress it up if need be at the other end...

Attachments

• ppweekend-lg.jpg
    ppweekend-lg.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 670
Last edited:
I travel quite often; have worn a maxi dress a few times but only for short flights; although having something loose on is comfortable (esp for the bloating!) there always seems to be a draft around and even with a blanket, still seems to be cooler compared to wearing pants.......my number one tip is not to wear anything white! Although a white t looks chic, if you happen to unfortunately get a stain on it, not so chic for your arrival!

If its a long-ish flight, I normally wear skinny jeans (or jeggings) and a cardigan (or blazer - depending on the weather for arrival) and a scarf and flats, and change into my velour lounge pants after take-off, change back just before landing!