Travel Travel Deals

Here's link to a shady story about groupon. http://abc13.com/finance/gym-closes-days-after-offering-groupon-deal/165914/
I know it's related. I just couldn't believe that story.

urgh that's terrible, but I'm not surprised at all. When Groupon first came out, I think it was better than what it is now- now all these shady companies see Groupon as an easy way to market themselves, get new clients, etc. Groupon's CS is also terrible, and it's like pulling teeth trying to get a refund after you've bought a shady deal. I know first hand- I bought a groupon for a "gym" and I thought it'd be ok since I actually knew exactly where the location is. When I try to find feedback, a website, etc. nothing exists. What kind of company doesn't have a web presence nowadays?! A friend had bought the same deal and went to the place and said it was some sketchy basement with no clients.

When I expressed my concerns to Groupon, they gave me one of those automated replies that says they won't refund me since the groupon expired...that's not even what I asked for. Obviously, their CS doesn't take the time to read or care, so I will no longer buy Groupons unless they're too establishments I already frequent.

Was just curious if anyone had ever bought the travel Groupons (although I'd be skeptical anyways).

Groupons policy is.. If the store goes out of business or closes, you receive a full refund. Just call the 1800 # or email them. I've done just that.. I love groupon for the deals.. But also make sure I pay with my Amex in case a store tries to be shady.. It's out of groupons hands sometimes.

Groupons policy is.. If the store goes out of business or closes, you receive a full refund. Just call the 1800 # or email them. I've done just that.. I love groupon for the deals.. But also make sure I pay with my Amex in case a store tries to be shady.. It's out of groupons hands sometimes.

How do they verify if the business is closed/out of business? When I look them up online, they have no info...so how will Groupon verify it?

Was just curious if anyone had ever bought the travel Groupons (although I'd be skeptical anyways).

I'm curious too. I saw some really good deals on Groupon today, but I have never heard of the travel agencies or the cruise lines that are offering these deals. Seeing this posted article and your experience, I am wary that these promotions turn out to be a hoax.

How do they verify if the business is closed/out of business? When I look them up online, they have no info...so how will Groupon verify it?

Groupon will call them at whatever phone number the merchant provided.

They have resolution team that will investigate and then refund you. Usually they will put you on hold and call them on the other line... if they think they require more time, they will get back in touch with you.