Transporting Luxury Handbags Back Home

closetluxe

Feb 12, 2017
Hi everyone!
I'm going to Europe in August. I want to buy a Chanel M/L,a few SLGs, including possibly a DIOR WOC. How do you all bring home your goodies with their boxes still pristine? My husband is only letting me (he doesn't like to check in our luggage as we'll be going to Paris, then Barcelona to get on a ship for a Mediterranean cruise) to take an empty hard case carry-on to bring back my goodies, but he says I won't be able to buy everything I want. He saids I can buy something in Japan next year and England the year after that. Typical man. What has worked for you? What are your recommendations? TIA

I would: pack lightly (do not bring many bags with you) bring a large empty nylon bag like Longchamp that will fit the largest box (Chanel flap box?), put the SLGs and other vacation purchases inside their boxes and bring all of it back tightly packed inside the Flap box inside the nylon bag which you will carefully carry on. Carry the new Flap as your handbag.

I refuse to check luggage when my husband and I travel so we only go carry-on only. I have not had an issue bringing back anything we've every purchased overseas with the boxes (although most times I sacrifice the shopping bags unless its used instead of my tote bag as my "personal item"). For reference, I normally travel with a tote bag as my "personal item"/handbag (a smaller daily handbag can fit inside) and a Lo & Sons Catalina bag as my carry-on. I always leave room in both bags for purchases made on the trip. People who bring crazy large bags (i.e., ones that clearly violate the carry-on size limitations imposed by airlines) as carry-ons are a pet peeve of mine so I'm very diligent about the size of my carry-on and personal bags.

When we went to Paris late this past summer, I purchased a Chanel Jumbo and a pair of Lanvin in flats. I was able to pack them in our carry-on (Chanel in box in my carry-on, Lanvin flats in box in my husband's carry-on) with no problem along with our clothing.

When we went to Italy on our honeymoon, I was able to bring back a Gucci Disco (no box), Hermes bracelet (with box), and Prada tote (for some reason, Prada did not give me a box) in our carry-ons when we each had two weeks worth of clothing.

When my husband went on a trip to Switzerland, he brought me back an Alma PM in box without checking a bag. He had a small bag with his clothing and the Alma PM in box in LV shopping bag was allowed as his "personal item" which fit under the seat in front of him.

I sacrifice packaging/boxes, to cut weight.
Honestly, not my thing to shop on vacations--doing other stuff.
But always travel carry-on only.
When do pick up things, find packable tote helpful--as another stated, handbag + items go inside = airline's allowed "personal item."
For scarves/clothes/similar purchased--I wear onto plane or put into coat pockets.
More & more, I just have stores ship things to my home. Easier.

Reactions: Mariapia
I would: pack lightly (do not bring many bags with you) bring a large empty nylon bag like Longchamp that will fit the largest box (Chanel flap box?), put the SLGs and other vacation purchases inside their boxes and bring all of it back tightly packed inside the Flap box inside the nylon bag which you will carefully carry on. Carry the new Flap as your handbag.
Do you think this Longchamp will hold the Chanel Flap M/L box? It's the new version
Large Le Pliage Neo Nylon Tote

_10449404.jpg

I mail the empty boxes home. Shipping the actual items, if you live in the US, incurs much worse duty than bringing things in in person.
Then I wrap everything up safe in my hard shell carry-on. If I did a MAJOR spree that I could not fit in my suitcase, I would ship clothes home (or ship a whole suitcase), which is used personal items and will not incur duty.

Since I don't check luggage either, this way I have all my shopping with me if the detaxe officers want to see it, and everything is safe with me when I declare it on re-entry.

Reactions: Mariapia
I try not to spend time shopping for clothing/accessories when I travel, simply because I already live in a large metro with all the luxury stores around a half hour away :biggrin:

But I do shop for others, especially souvenirs. It can be kind of tricky packing in ten different sized items. My husband and I also don't check bags, so between the two carry on items and the two overhead bags, we seem to find space. You do what you gotta do!

I bought an LV in Amsterdam over Christmas and ended up not getting a box and only the bag. I didn't have room for the box. If the box is really important to you, I would ask the stores if they think you can get a box when you return home from your local store with a receipt. They might be able to accommodate that. I think boxes while traveling takes up too much room.