Trade In Disaster

LifeIsDucky

Apr 17, 2015
I mailed a mini Florentine satchel at the end of October to trade in for the chestnut Alto Teresa. The satchel I was trading in was black and very wrinkled. I did not use it once. Just not a fan of black and I bought it when I was naive and did not know how smooth or pebbled Florentine should be and not the hot mess I received. I waited a month and no letter. I called and the next day the letter arrived in the mail that I had $184 credit. I called to order my Teresa but was told that they will take my phone number and have the proper department call me. This was a little different than usual but OK. I gave them two numbers because some days I work from home and others from the office. Unfortunately I had a 5mm kidney stone and the day they called the office I was suffering at home. This was two days after I had initially called. I called back every few days after and was told each time that they were very behind and it may take a few days for them to call me back but they have it on record that I called. I was concerned about the 30 day expiration date on the credit but one associate assured me it would be OK. One even let it slip out that I had 60 days. Well, no one ever called me and then the holiday sales started. I could have purchased Teresa on the Twelve Days sale for $329 I think, but it was $450 and with my credit I would only pay $266. So I waited Even though the chestnut sold out. I would have settled for saddle but there was really no other bag on my radar. My collection is large and I only want Teresa. Today the sales ended. I went to see if Teresa was still available in case an associate from the proper department ever decides to call me and HOLY COW...Teresa is now $750! Tell you what. They can take my black satchel and stuff it where the sun does not shine. Does anyone know if they charge customers when returning a trade-in bag back to the customer? I will not answer the phone or accept any charges! Crazy ridiculous. If the department was so far behind that they could not place a call for an order within two months then they need to hire or train someone new and move staff around.

I felt ridiculous calling every week saying, “Now will you take my money?” And then I felt like every time I called I was being placed back on the bottom of the call list. So my calls were every other day, to every few days, to once a week, every other week and then I just gave up. I am thinking Polene Handbags is another option and THEY will take my money.

I'm sorry, horrible. I have also experienced some delays with dooney.com and ILD. Customer service is not their strong suit at all. Hopefully they send your purse back! Free of charge!

I've never used the trade in program and I know the pricing rules are tricky. I didn't think that
sale prices were used at all in pricing the replacement bag. But, I could be wrong.

LID: I can understand why you are aggravated. You have every right to be upset.
Dooney and ILD have a long way to go in the area of customer service. And these days,
even companies which used to have good CS have cut back so much on staffing, that no one
seems to have really good CS anymore.

Bottom line, take you money to a company that
better meets your needs... in terms of service and product. Do not give a company the
power to make you so upset. It's your money, handbags are not a necessity (after the first one)
and we cannot allow ourselves to get so emotionally entangled. I know, easier said than done..
Sometimes we fight because we want the bag or deal and sometimes it's for the unfairness
of the way we are being treated. Been there, done that. .Just don't let it make you sick.

Reactions: catastic
Agreed. I like to buy my bags lightly used and save the aggravation sometimes. Now that sales are done...I'll be set unless I see something on the secondary market. I was shocked at Dooney.com not able to tell me when I was to be charged for dooney pay. I had to look up the charges myself. Horrible.

You can send any Dooney in for a trade. You receive a credit that is equal to half the retail price of the bag. For instance, the Flo mini is $368 so I received a credit of $184 to use toward the purchase of any regular priced item (the special collections like Oncour are excluded). The Teresa was regular retail at $450 when I sent in the trade. I couldn’t wait to order it and use my credit of $184! And I couldn’t wait to place a larger chestnut Alto in my collection. Then it went on sale and I could no longer use the credit. And now it is $750 and I refuse to pay $300 more when I feel they should have made an honest effort to take the order within a reasonable time. The trade in program has it’s own thread with a ton more info.

I'm sorry your trade in has been a ridiculously painful experience. If you are still looking for the Teresa bag, I love Dooney.com has it for $500 something right now post Christmas markdown.
I did a trade in recently and will never do it again.

I sent in a bag with tracking to them by 7-31-20. They finally sent me a letter a month later, I called in late August to place my order and they called me back a month later in late September, didn't receive my bag for the next two weeks by 10-19. So it literally took about 3 months but I got my bag.