TPF Find Makes Catwalk History!

Yes, my preference too. Somehow the older bag just seems more elegant. More refined. Normally I wouldn't like that much embellishment but by limiting it to just embroidery, it works!
totally agree, it's the absence of the GG logo that makes it so beautiful and elegant. i see the new one has the GG right front and center, lol. but isn't that amazing... a vintage find ending up as inspiration! love the story:heart::smile:

I took another look at the Cruise 2018 show and I think the updated version of Layla's bag is outstanding.
There were a few interesting bags in the show, but the floral snakeskin flap with chain strap and GG looking both appropriate and lovely (to my eye) deserved 'best in show' I thought :cool:
I'd love to see it in real life. The simpler new bag is also elegant and lovely.

Reactions: papertiger
totally agree, it's the absence of the GG logo that makes it so beautiful and elegant. i see the new one has the GG right front and center, lol. but isn't that amazing... a vintage find ending up as inspiration! love the story:heart::smile:

Yes, my preference too. Somehow the older bag just seems more elegant. More refined. Normally I wouldn't like that much embellishment but by limiting it to just embroidery, it works!

I agree with you both totally but unfortunately we are in the minority of bag buyers it seems. Most people nowadays seem unable to commit their money to products that don't wear a label on the outside. For me, at least the logo on the front fits the size and shape of the bag of the new version, but yes nothing beats the original, it's a work of art.

Such an amazing story with layla's rare handembroided vintage find and papertiger's advice about the Gucci museum. Now 1,5 yrs later seeing the bag inspired the new Gucci resort collection!!!I hope I can see the bags soon in Paris, they make such lovely windowdisplays. What a story!!!

Such an amazing story with layla's rare handembroided vintage find and papertiger's advice about the Gucci museum. Now 1,5 yrs later seeing the bag inspired the new Gucci resort collection!!!I hope I can see the bags soon in Paris, they make such lovely windowdisplays. What a story!!!

If you ever go to the splendid city of Florence for whatever reason but especially for art sake (not to mention the jewellery and leather craft, did I mention shopping ops?) Gucci's museum is well worth a visit, quite the most wonderful 'window display' ever.

Reactions: skyqueen
Hellooooo!!!! Omg!!!! I cannot believe this!!! Ive been MIA bc I was dealing with my sick kitty . Just came back to all these messages. Wow! Amazing! I wish Gucci would have notified me....that would've been awesome!

I feel like rolling out the red carpet for you! You are our star anyway :hugs:

Gucci should have contacted you, but you could always so what a nice surprise it was to see that your bag inspired such pretty new variations.

Yes Doni! I agree....I think we should get some thank you merchandise too especially since they received the bag for a bargain lol!!:P Still can't believe they re-issued it :nuts:

Indeed. You must be over the moon, such an amazing thing.

To me it looks like it is a faithful reproduction of the original and then they dropped in the GGs because somehow they had to have something different. I can picture the situation. How the museum calls the design house to tell them this amazing vintage piece arrived. Michele gushing over it and declaring it the most precious darling thing ever and how he wants the same exact flower pattern. The fuss to identify the artisans who can reproduced the embroidery. Then they present him with a prototype, so identical to the original, and he is very happy with it. But he cannot just send the reproduction of an old bag down the catwalk. So he throws two GGs that were lying around and asks for some strass to go with it. And voila, an Alessandro Michele's bag. It looks good too.

Last edited: