Took in a 14 year old girl because we can't find her MOM!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My husband worked as a police officer with juveniles for 30 years and I have taught both middle and high school for the past 20 years. Unfortunatly this is too frequent. First, be sure the girl isn't a run-away or permanently living on her own (she may swear to you otherwise!). I would call CPS ( Child Protective Services) in your state and make sure you let the school authorities know. Even if there was someone assigned to take care of the girl they are negligent and the authorities need to know. I wouldn't tell the girl first because if she's a runner you'll lose her. God bless you for looking after this girl, I wish more responible poeple woud look after our youth. Usually it falls on our faculty to take care of our abandoned kids at affairs like this, it is nice to know others care. Let us know the outcome.:ty:

Thanks for the kind words, everybody...I'm sure it's what most people would have done, we couldn't just leave her there all alone.

She's not very talkative right now, but she sure looks sad. She and my daughter just got home from school. I think we're going to take them out ice skating and grab some pizza tonight to try cheer her up a little bit.

Lucky for her it's "chocolate night" at our house...every Friday night we get a giant Hersey bar, my 2 daughters and I split it. Pure heaven.

Ohh lucky her!!

BTW, what is she wearing now that she has no way getting in her house for clothes??

This is really heartbreaking but also uplifting. You and your family are amazing for taking her in right now.

I would follow up with the police and make sure you are doing everything you need to so nothing can turn against you - somehow, sometimes, that happens.

Please keep us posted!

Awww....thats so kind of you to take her in...giving her shelther, food, clothes, and trying to cheer her up! There ARE some really nice people in this world! :tup:

I think that at the age of 14...kids can take care of themserlves. I used to stay home alone for a day or two when I was that age. I knew how to cook myself dinner, do laundry, etc... I even knew how to use public transportation and knew how to get home by walking as well (3...4 mile walk and I did do that a few times). When I was that age, I also had a cell phone and money saved up too.

However, these girl doesn't have her keys and can't even get into contact with her mom, so this is a whole different story.... But if I was that desperate, I would even break a window to get inside my home before staying at a strangers house. I would even call the police to see if they can help me get inside my home. My friend called the fire department and they helped her open up her door once when she had forgotten something on the stove.

Last edited:
couture_addict you are a great person to take in this young woman and let her stay in your house. I think it is sad that this happens often and that people don't realize what it does to the child. I hope everything gets figured out and that the mother does get reprimanded for her actions.

Is it strange that the girl looks "sad" and not "distressed"? I mean, if my mother had ever just disappeared when I was young, I would have been petrified.... "Sad" suggests that this has happened before, so she knows, at least, that her mother is alright, wherever she is.

She's so lucky to have you and good on you for taking her in - so many people just don't want to get involved these days and sadly, with good reason. These situations often come back to bite the good Samaritans in the bum.

You are an amazing person to do that.... I feel so bad for that poor girl :sad:

im sure she will totally enjoy being apart of the fun you and your daughters have!!! i loved having my friends over and hanging out with my mom and doing girly things!!!

I hope everything works out, keep us posted.

First of all - you and your family are wonderful for taking in that young girl. It's hard to believe that the girl's mother would not try to contact her while traveling.

My manager and her husband (stepdad) went on vacation for a week and left her 16 year old son home alone. However, she called him every single day, had arranged for the neighbors to also check on the son, and the son's father also checked on the boy during the week - the father only lived 30 minutes away, so if anything happened, he could be there almost immediately for his son. This was a good test for the son to have some independence and responsibility while his mom was away. He passed with flying colors!

I don't understand why this young girl's mother hasn't called her child unless something has happened to the mother. Has the mother gone away before and left the child? Maybe Child Protective Services should be contacted but it's good that you already contacted the police to let them know where the child is staying. The mother has a lot of explaining to do when she gets back - assuming that the mother is ok.

i'm sure she is sad and scared and embarrassed and thankful. i know i'm thankful that there are people like you in this world.
please keep us posted.

We just got back from ice skating...we all had a great time, but I'm pooped. It's been a long day.

Nothing's changed since I last posted - her mom is supposed to be back in the morning, so right now she's still with us. Luckily she's about the same size as my daughter, so clothes aren't an issue right now. I have to run and get her a toothbrush though...as soon as I get back I have to go to bed!! :sleepy:

Again, thanks everyone for your words of support...I'll post an update tomorrow!

I think that at the age of 14...kids can take care of themserlves. I used to stay home alone for a day or two when I was that age. I knew how to cook myself dinner, do laundry, etc... I even knew how to use public transportation and knew how to get home by walking as well (3...4 mile walk and I did do that a few times). When I was that age, I also had a cell phone and money saved up too.

me too! but normally whenever that happened, my 'rents would pretty much call me every friggin hour to make sure everything was alright etc. etc.

and yeah, this does happen pretty often these days. plus around that age, the kids normally don't want a babysitter anymore.

But the fact that she didn't have a key, her mom not answering the phone, and Im guessing that no one called the house either because if someone did, they should have started freaking out when no one answered the calls.

do keep us updated! I wonder if the police are going to do anything about this once the mother gets back.

Awww....thats so kind of you to take her in...giving her shelther, food, clothes, and trying to cheer her up! There ARE some really nice people in this world! :tup:

It's funny, cause I was very self sufficient at a young age too - my parents trusted me a lot and I took very good care of myself. But they definitely are not the same way with my younger brothers! It's so weird because I was a really good kid and didn't screw up - so it's not like they 'learned their lesson' and decided to be stricter on my bros. I guess the times are changin and you can't really count on safety as much as before? Neighborhoods don't really function the same way as they used to....like how you could go to anyone's house on your block and go inside if you had a problem; and the neighbors all knew each other. I have noticed people are a lot more private these days and like someone pointed out, the Good Samaritan often gets bitten in the rear by doing a good deed, like someone will sue them or something...it's so messed up!

It turns out that her MOM has left the state (I don't know why) and won't be back until Saturday morning. We haven't been able to get ahold of her, as she won't answer her cell phone. We finally drove over to the girl's house at 11PM and left a note there with all of our contact information, then went to the police station to file a report so that if Mom called in they would be able to tell her where her daughter was. I've checked with the police a couple times today, and the Mom hasn't called.

Maybe there is more to this story than we know,:mad:

There is. Mom is probably in jail. She's not answering her cell phone? She's not calling to check on her daughter? The daughter can only vaguely tell you with a look of sadness that mom is out of state but she can't be more specific than that?

A friend's sister used to leave her kids home alone all the time when she served jail time and didn't want to explain things fully to the ex-husband or other family members. Or neighbors for that matter.

Bless you for taking the girl in and taking good care of her! But after the mom materializes you might want to keep an eye on the girl and follow-up with social services.

Status
Not open for further replies.