Too picky versus smart shopper- how can I tell if the 2022 preloved pricing is fair for the wear and tear on the piece?

LoveLux123

Mar 20, 2020
With the price increases, it makes sense that preloved prices go up too.

Not sure what is realistic or fair price for preloved piece. I know a lot depends on how badly someone wants a piece, how readily available it is, if it's for daily use or as part of a collection, etc., degree of wear and tear, current retail pricing, etc. I also realize that pre-loved obviously means it is used and you can't expect a piece to be brand new, hence it is usually, but not always, cheaper than the current retail price.

Could use some advice from this wonderful community! Purchased a mini pochette and will have to decide in a few days whether or not to return it. It has some split glazing on the side of the leather tab, and an undisclosed small crack by the d-ring. Otherwise it seems in pretty good shape. I got it for $310 including tax and shipping. It seems like decent preloved mini pochettes without any cracks, Etc are retailing for almost $500 or more. Buying one new is not in my current budget.

I do like the piece a lot and it fits my lifestyle of just grab something and go, and I usually keep my phone in the hand anyway so it doesn't bother me that it doesn't fit the phone.

I normally use small to medium sized bags but more often than not I just like to grab my keys, license, and credit card, and go. The cles is a bit of a stretch to fit in the car fob or any receipts.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to:
1) return this piece and keep on trying to hunt for a piece at a similar price, but without any canvas cracks.
2) keep it, because it's going to be hard to match the price and unrealistic to get a preloved piece that doesn't have any canvas flaws for around $300.
3) return it because I have a PA in monogram, which I just received, and I can just use the PA as a grab-and-go instead of the Mini pochette, and just use my generic nylon pouch but I've been using to transfer Essentials like keys and a few credit cards from purse to purse.
4) would mini pochette be something I could practically use as a mini bag or belt bag or turn into a do-it-yourself multi-pochette in real daily life? Saw some videos of this online but don't know if people have actually done that or if it puts too much wear and tear and stress on the d ring and vachetta tab. I know there are some options for chains and a multi pochette conversion kit on dress up your purse.

I guess when it comes down to it I'm not sure if I'm being too picky or I should just be patient and see if I can get a piece around the same price that I got but without canvas flaws? Or is it redundant since I have a PA with a crossbody strap? Do people still find the mini pochette very useful even if they have a PA?20230121_140925.jpg And also wondering what people think in terms of what's realistic prices for pre-loved pieces in 2023.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks so much! I appreciate this community very much!

20230121_140932.jpg

20230121_134026.png

With the price increases, it makes sense that preloved prices go up too.

Not sure what is realistic or fair price for preloved piece. I know a lot depends on how badly someone wants a piece, how readily available it is, if it's for daily use or as part of a collection, etc., degree of wear and tear, current retail pricing, etc. I also realize that pre-loved obviously means it is used and you can't expect a piece to be brand new, hence it is usually, but not always, cheaper than the current retail price.

Could use some advice from this wonderful community! Purchased a mini pochette and will have to decide in a few days whether or not to return it. It has some split glazing on the side of the leather tab, and an undisclosed small crack by the d-ring. Otherwise it seems in pretty good shape. I got it for $310 including tax and shipping. It seems like decent preloved mini pochettes without any cracks, Etc are retailing for almost $500 or more. Buying one new is not in my current budget.

I do like the piece a lot and it fits my lifestyle of just grab something and go, and I usually keep my phone in the hand anyway so it doesn't bother me that it doesn't fit the phone.

I normally use small to medium sized bags but more often than not I just like to grab my keys, license, and credit card, and go. The cles is a bit of a stretch to fit in the car fob or any receipts.

I'm trying to decide whether or not to:
1) return this piece and keep on trying to hunt for a piece at a similar price, but without any canvas cracks.
2) keep it, because it's going to be hard to match the price and unrealistic to get a preloved piece that doesn't have any canvas flaws for around $300.
3) return it because I have a PA in monogram, which I just received, and I can just use the PA as a grab-and-go instead of the Mini pochette, and just use my generic nylon pouch but I've been using to transfer Essentials like keys and a few credit cards from purse to purse.
4) would mini pochette be something I could practically use as a mini bag or belt bag or turn into a do-it-yourself multi-pochette in real daily life? Saw some videos of this online but don't know if people have actually done that or if it puts too much wear and tear and stress on the d ring and vachetta tab. I know there are some options for chains and a multi pochette conversion kit on dress up your purse.

I guess when it comes down to it I'm not sure if I'm being too picky or I should just be patient and see if I can get a piece around the same price that I got but without canvas flaws? Or is it redundant since I have a PA with a crossbody strap? Do people still find the mini pochette very useful even if they have a PA?View attachment 5698409 And also wondering what people think in terms of what's realistic prices for pre-loved pieces in 2023.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks so much! I appreciate this community very much!

View attachment 5698410

View attachment 5698411
Yes! I love my PA's and my mini PA's. However I use my mini's inside my bags to keep things together. I find them very useful :smile:

Reactions: LoveLux123
If those things don’t bother you keep it but I wouldn’t keep it if it was me. Those flaws would bother me even though I’m getting it at a cheaper price.
Thanks so much for the input! You raise some good points. I also have heard that they will not do any repairs on the bag if the canvas is cracked. I wasn't sure if that wasn't something to really worry about because I'm not sure what people often need to do in terms of repairs for the mini pochette and how often is a repair needed? Also, not sure how often a crack like this worsens if you don't end up overloading the mini pochette? Would dread it if the crack got worse. Thanks again for taking the time to reply! Really appreciate it!

Thanks so much for the input! You raise some good points. I also have heard that they will not do any repairs on the bag if the canvas is cracked. I wasn't sure if that wasn't something to really worry about because I'm not sure what people often need to do in terms of repairs for the mini pochette and how often is a repair needed? Also, not sure how often a crack like this worsens if you don't end up overloading the mini pochette? Would dread it if the crack got worse. Thanks again for taking the time to reply! Really appreciate it!
you’re welcome! :smile:Correct, they cannot fix cracked canvas.. I can’t tell from the pic where is the crack is but if it’s a stress point where it bends a lot it could get worse Or it could stay the same. You don’t how the owner took care of it. If you are near a store you could see if they could replace the tab and the cost?

Reactions: LoveLux123
you’re welcome! :smile:Correct, they cannot fix cracked canvas.. I can’t tell from the pic where is the crack is but if it’s a stress point where it bends a lot it could get worse Or it could stay the same. You don’t how the owner took care of it. If you are near a store you could see if they could replace the tab and the cost?
Thanks again for the message! The canvas crack is right beneath the right side of the d-ring...which is a stress point I'm guessing? Thanks so much for your help!

No, you are not being picky. $300 is a lot of money to pay for a damaged handbag. I don't care what brand it is, why would anyone want a damaged bag? I think for this and all of the other excellent reasons you mention above (it's damaged, you already have something else similar, it is too small to hold your stuff, etc.), the right decision is to return it.

Save that money for something different. Either buy something else at the same price point that isn't damaged but maybe a less expensive brand, or keep saving for a little longer and build up that handbag fund until you can get a brand you want in better shape.

Best of luck! :smile:

Mini-PA is a fantastic SLG, my favorite actually. I was doubtful at first but use it for all the misc bits and bobs I want to keep organized, from lip balm to comb to microfiber glasses wiper cloth, and etc. It holds a fair amount. It in no way would function as a bag itself, forget whatever nonsense you might see on social media. It's a holder of things, and a fab one.

I would for sure not keep a damaged piece like this; return it and keep looking.

About preowned prices, set yourself the task of checking Sold listings on eBay for a while. This can be your data points. There's no formula about a percentage of appreciation or depreciation in the resale market, too many variables.

Thanks again for the message! The canvas crack is right beneath the right side of the d-ring...which is a stress point I'm guessing? Thanks so much for your help!
It could be that or the person just didn’t take care of it properly. There are some reputable resellers that I see the MP on. You may have to spend a little more but it would be in better shape and last longer..

1. Hmm...If I were you. I'd keep it since you got it at a fantastic price.
2. Use it for a few years AS IS and enjoy the carefree experience.
3. Then take it to LV and revamp it.
4. You got a brand new mini pochette in a few years.

No, you are not being picky. $300 is a lot of money to pay for a damaged handbag. I don't care what brand it is, why would anyone want a damaged bag? I think for this and all of the other excellent reasons you mention above (it's damaged, you already have something else similar, it is too small to hold your stuff, etc.), the right decision is to return it.

Save that money for something different. Either buy something else at the same price point that isn't damaged but maybe a less expensive brand, or keep saving for a little longer and build up that handbag fund until you can get a brand you want in better shape.

Best of luck! :smile:
Excellent points! Thank you so much! Appreciate your time and perspective check!

Reactions: AnnaLou
Mini-PA is a fantastic SLG, my favorite actually. I was doubtful at first but use it for all the misc bits and bobs I want to keep organized, from lip balm to comb to microfiber glasses wiper cloth, and etc. It holds a fair amount. It in no way would function as a bag itself, forget whatever nonsense you might see on social media. It's a holder of things, and a fab one.

I would for sure not keep a damaged piece like this; return it and keep looking.

About preowned prices, set yourself the task of checking Sold listings on eBay for a while. This can be your data points. There's no formula about a percentage of appreciation or depreciation in the resale market, too many variables.
Great tip! I didn't realize i could check Sold listings to get a sense of pre-owned prices. Thank you! :smile: