Food Tomato Plants

Leelee

Up On My Toes!
Jun 6, 2006
Anyone waiting impatiently for their garden tomatoes to grow?

For the first time ever we're trying to grow them. We put in one "Better Boy" and one "Rutgers" plant. They're growning, but not fast enough for me.

YES!!! :biggrin:

My Dad has 35 tomato plants in the ground (8 varieties), and all fruits are still green; I have two on my deck and all I have are tiny green tomatoes right now

YES!!! :biggrin:

My Dad has 35 tomato plants in the ground (8 varieties), and all fruits are still green; I have two on my deck and all I have are tiny green tomatoes right now

35 tomato plants!!!! That would be heavenly for me! It's nice you have some baby green tomatoes already. Our plants are still only about two feet tall with a few yellow flowers and no fruit yet. I suspect it's b/c we're farther north than you are.

Good luck with your plants! It's a wonderful thing to eat a just-picked warm, ripe tomato.

I have a ton of green fruit right now-I have a feeling in just a bit I'll have more than I can handle. We are going to try to can this year, though.

Our Romas are doing well right now - we have lots of new blooms and many babies. I did take one off and it was a bit mealy, and I don't know why. I eat about 3-4 tomatoes a day - they're my favorite - but I can't rely on my bushes to keep up with me! ;)

I just had cherry tomatoes yesterday out of my garden and cucumbers! Yummy!

Goodness! Your'e in South Dakota? I thought that would be sooooo much cooler than Maryland and I am so completely envious that you can pick fruit and veggies from your garden. I'm desperate for some sign of baby tomatoes, but nothing yet.

We are absolutely over run with tomatoes :wtf: lol

So far I've tried to use them all up, but they just keep coming!!! Made so far:

1 1/2 gallons Italian tomato sauce
1 1/2 gallons spicy Italian tomato sauce
5 packages frozen diced tomatoes (for later use)
1lb of dried cherry tomatoes (very sweet, nice for salads and pizzas)
And a lot of BLT's, haha

I think next I'll make and can some salsa. I thought about just canning them whole, but I very rarely use anything like that except in Italian tomato sauces...and obviously I have enough of those at the moment, lol.

In case anyone is looking for a good tomato to plant next year, the best BLT tomato I've had so far is Mr. Stripey (or Marvel Stripe). They are soo good, I won't do anything with them other than eat them as they are. Same goes for the Cherry tomatoes, but we had so many that I just dried half so they wouldn't go to waste.