Toe Pain

Sorry to be a debbie downer...

Bella, no way. You're giving up wearing CLs? I haven't tried Atwood. Maybe I should!

OP...I also suggest that if you are experiencing pain, you rethink how frequently you wear heels and what brand you are wearing. Even designer high end causes pain. Our feet weren't really meant to be propped up like that, with all our weight propelled forward.

I have this rather constant pain in the ball joint of my big left toe. It rarely goes away, and it's super strange. I think it's partially because of heels.

So, in addition to moleskin, Dr. Scholls, etc, you might think about varying your shoe choice. I am actually a big fan of colorful Dansko clogs. Great for your feet. And I also have started investing in cute flat boots.

I'm starting to sound like an old lady! :nuts:

Bella, no way. You're giving up wearing CLs? I haven't tried Atwood. Maybe I should!

OP...I also suggest that if you are experiencing pain, you rethink how frequently you wear heels and what brand you are wearing. Even designer high end causes pain. Our feet weren't really meant to be propped up like that, with all our weight propelled forward.

I have this rather constant pain in the ball joint of my big left toe. It rarely goes away, and it's super strange. I think it's partially because of heels.

So, in addition to moleskin, Dr. Scholls, etc, you might think about varying your shoe choice. I am actually a big fan of colorful Dansko clogs. Great for your feet. And I also have started investing in cute flat boots.

I'm starting to sound like an old lady! :nuts:

Oh, no, you make perfect sense. And I usually try to adjust accordingly: high heels one day, comfy shoes the next. I just have a pair of black pumps that I adore and they hurt. Badly. So I'm trying to find the miracle cure. Don't worry, I know there isn't one. ;)

re: Victoria Beckham's feet: OH MY GOSH! That picture should be the equivalent of the Surgeon General's Warning for Shoes. That looks terrible and extremely painful.

Yes, she have bunions and she is in permanent pain. That's why her heels are one size or more, bigger. I noticed many time this, i hate shoes to be bigger, the look is very ugly.
I always buy heels in a smaller size or in a snug fit. I have to admit that this habbit made me corns or blisters but "beauty is pain", no?

Hi guys, I am an Occupational Therapist and often deal with a lot of the problems/questions that have been brought up!

LaEscorita – If the outside edge of your big toe is rubbing on the inside of your shoe, it sounds like the shoe is either a bit narrow for you, and/or your foot is slightly wide across the toes – this is really common lately because narrower shoes tend to be prettier looking on the shelf :P The advice the other posters have given you has been good- body glide or bisterblock will prevent friction. You can also take your shoes to a cobbler, and if they are leather they can stretch the leather just in that one spot with a special tool.

Regarding Victoria Beckham – yes, that is a bunion. Bunions can be caused by shoes that are narrow in the toe, and high heels of course. The directional forces of high heels tend to push the big toe toward the little ones from the large joint at the ball of the foot. Genetics also plays a large role and some people have these regardless of footwear. Having bunions actually makes it harder to wear flat shoes since the width of your foot at the ball is now very wide – painful too!

Madigan – what you are describing about your pinky toe is called a “bunionette” for obvious reasons. I have this problem too. They are way less problematic than bunions, and can be surgically corrected pretty easily.

Capt-longshanks – what you are describing about ball-of-foot pain and numbness in your middle toes sounds like Mortons Neuroma. Sounds scary, but basically because high shoes place all your weight on the ball of your foot, all the tissue in there gets squished and irritated. The numbness is actually irritation of the nerve that supplies those toes. Wearing good shoes for a few days and letting the irritation/swelling go down will usually resolve the numbness, as you experienced. They sell padding for under the ball of the foot at most drugstores – I don’t know how well they work though!

Pishi – you are describing pain in the large joint of your big toe that never goes away. Sorry, but this sounds like osteoarthritis to me, which isn’t really fixable, just treatable ☹. With your hand, try bending your sore big toe down at that joint as far as it goes, then bend it up as far as it can go. Compare this to the non-sore toe – is it less? If yes (especially in the upward direction), its probably arthritis. Treat this with a topical analgesic and anti-inflammatories (eg. advil). I can give more advice re:footwear if you want ☺

Hope that helps answer some questions! Take care of your feet! I see so many grannies with toes that go in every direction and they are in a lot of pain!

cashewnut, mcain, thank you so much for your helpful input! I now limit myself to wearing high heels (4"+) only once or twice a week tops and always bring a pair of failsafe flats. But yes, I really do need some extra cushioning. I used to wear them a couple of times and it helped somewhat :P

(Oh and, happy holidays!)