To the incognito Birkin owners, where do you use it?

I wear my Birkins everywhere, except when going through very dangerous areas, or nightlife places where Chanel flaps or clutches are more appropriate than B/Ks.

Unless I'm on the Upper East Side near the shopping districts, nobody notices that my bags are Hermes. I'll even get compliments on them (usually the colors) from people who have no idea what Hermes is. If I'm on a subway, I'll usually hold my bag with the hardware facing me.

All I can say after reading this thread is, phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one using my H bags "incognito"! Like many here, I also never use my B's at work, or any work-related occasion for the same reasons. I don't live in a particularly fashionable city, and in fact, being not dressed up (and not caring) might be even be a point of civic pride around here. (Sigh) Other than out shopping or lunching, I find that my B's are most free and happy when traveling, especially in fashionable cities like Paris, Hong Kong and NYC! And thank goodness for tPF...this place is a haven!

Coming out of lurkdom for a moment... I have enjoyed this thread and all the well-reasoned thoughts about using our Bs and yet not appearing to "flaunt" them. The greatest compliment we can give to Hermès beauty, quality and history is to take these bags out into the world and enjoy them as we use them for their intended purpose, rather than just displaying them as materialistic trophies or symbols of perceived status.

I used to carry them more often to work until some women began commenting too often on them. Some were genuine compliments; others were side eye looks and made me uncomfortable. Some women are just judgmental, commenting on my shoes, my clothes, whatever. Since some certainly can afford H, IDK why they are like that. Now that I don't work, I grab one of whatever's in rotation this week.

I carry mine most of the time, unless I'm traveling alone (than it will be a Halzan or Evelyne). I no longer work, so taking it into the office isn't an issue for me. I had to laugh about the hardware comments as my Husband always tells me to turn my Birkin around because I tend to carry the hardware side towards me. It seems to drive him crazy. I've only had a few people comment on my bags, usually they have no idea what it is. The best compliment I ever received on my bag, was several years ago, I was shopping and the Sales Lady told me my bag was beautiful. I thanked her for her compliment and she asked me if it was a Coach bag. I replied that it wasn't. She said, thats Ok, it's still very nice and then told me she was kind of a bag snob and really loved Coach! (I was carrying my 35 Etoupe Birkin) The thing is she meant the compliment in all sincerity and I appreciated it.

I used to carry my Hermes purses everywhere even to work. Then I guess someone figured out how much my purses are and my teammates kind of started gossiping about it. The purse gossips eventually led to paycheck gossips etc.:hrmm: Mind you, all my teammates are men! (No offense to men on tpf, i know you guys are on my side on this) :smile:
I work in an environment where spending 10k on a bike is ok but on a purse, not so much. I mean to each his own right? Anyways long story short, I just don't take it to work anymore.

:annoyed::annoyed:
I'm sorry to hear that, industry/city really matters I feel. In my office, assistant can carry Bs and no one bat an eye (I was secretly spying on one of her gorgeous blue B...ha), and I constantly see people's H bags.
Yes I think so too. It depends on the industry or city. I have never seen one at my work carry any B or Any H for the matter. I see some who has LVs with them.

Reactions: prepster
I used to carry my Hermes purses everywhere even to work. Then I guess someone figured out how much my purses are and my teammates kind of started gossiping about it. The purse gossips eventually led to paycheck gossips etc.:hrmm: Mind you, all my teammates are men! (No offense to men on tpf, i know you guys are on my side on this) :smile:
I work in an environment where spending 10k on a bike is ok but on a purse, not so much. I mean to each his own right? Anyways long story short, I just don't take it to work anymore.
Yup, this is pretty much my experience as well. "Paycheck gossip" is exactly it.

I'm sorry to hear that, industry/city really matters I feel. In my office, assistant can carry Bs and no one bat an eye (I was secretly spying on one of her gorgeous blue B...ha), and I constantly see people's H bags.
In my world, if an assistant carried a Birkin, it would be assumed he/she was a trust fund baby and that would affect the team's view of them and probably lessen their chances for pay raises (as it would seem they did not need it). I'm not saying that's good or bad, but that is most definitely the assumption that would be made.

I like to carry mine everywhere except dangerous areas. And anyway I carry it mostly with hardware side hidden. I have to say though sometimes I feel uncomfortable. In Paris there are people who recognise it (ofc) so I do get dirty looks, scrunched up noses, furrowed brows and heads turning... everytime. :lol: The worst are the mad faces from older women and the only compliments and enthousiasm is from SAs at luxury boutiques. I travel with my Birkin and put le pliage inside. If needed- Birkin goes inside le pliage :smile: I dont think I would take Birkin to opera (seen that) or beach (seen that as well).

Reactions: lulilu
Let's be real, I'm into clothes, shoes, bags, and jewelry. Even on my sloppiest or high/low fashion days, people can judge me without knowing what bag I'm carrying. I do drive a nine year old car and pretend that I'm not a spoiled brat...it's a Lexus.
The funny thing about people judging me, though, is they don't know where I came from and how hard I worked to get here.
This thread reminds me of the children's book by Wendy Cheyette Lewison:
I love my tutu.
I don't care.
I wear my tutu everywhere!