To all US-ers: European Faux Pas?

M0000017500266.jpg

This is what I define as the "hideous shoes" Europeans wear. While I myself am not one for the bright-white New Balance or Adidas sneakers I do like a good Samba, Converse, or Prada sneaker.

Maxter-- I've never seen that before :shrugs:

This one Caribbean resort I stayed at had lots of German tourists and they just wore normal flip flops or slide on sandals with bare feet. And a lot of the younger German boys wore them with cropped pants which I actually thought was soooo cute :girlsigh:

OMG - we see it all the in Florida. My DH is from Germany and he can spot a German a mile away. I always burst out laughing whenever they have the socks/sandals thing going on!

Usually it is the socks with the Birkenstocks. Not flip/flops.

Also, don't gawk! When I was 18 I went on a trip to DC in my father's pickup, which is about twice my height. I jumped out of the pickup wearing short-shorts, with my (at the time) blond head of hair. An entire group of (Asian) men were standing there staring at me. One of them tried to take a picture!

I AM NOT A TOURIST AMUSEMENT!

Ok so it's sort of flattering but really more uncomfortable than anything else.

OK, I had my photo taken in Lincoln Park by Asian tourists. They took multiple photos. I don't know why. Maybe they just want some pictures of the locals? Or maybe I had something on my face?

One thing that sometimes bothers me is that all cultures have a different idea of "personal space". Sometimes people get a little too close for my own comfort when standing in lines, etc. Also, I don't like it when people talk really loud in public (English or otherwise). It seems that if someone isn't speaking English, they have full license to be as loud as they want because they think other people around don't know what they are saying. I've got news for them! Some of my friends have overheard some hilarious or rude stuff while we were getting coffee, etc. You never know who speaks what language (especially in larger cities), so watch out!:nuts:

Here in Italy we NEVER give tip and really few people know they have to give tips in the USA. Unfortunately the travel agency often forget to say this! My uncle received a very bad treatment for this reason the first time he came to USA, when he came back home he discovered this! So now he always leaves tip, but really it's something that few people knows... also because I think it's the same as Italy in other european countries.

That is really interesting! Travel agencies should be more helpful.

Before I leave on a trip, I look online for customs/faux pas of the country that I am going to. That is how I figure out what NOT to do so as not to make a fool of myself or give Americans an even worse name than we already have abroad. There is always info about how much to tip and when as well as other general knowledge stuff. I highly recommend that everyone do some online research before they go on a trip.

Once I saw some fellow Americans acting so badly in Paris that I was really embarrassed. I thought to myself "No wonder Europeans think that we are idiots".

Also, I never wear sneakers in Europe! I would rather suffer and look good:yes:

OMG - we see it all the in Florida. My DH is from Germany and he can spot a German a mile away. I always burst out laughing whenever they have the socks/sandals thing going on!

Usually it is the socks with the Birkenstocks. Not flip/flops.
LOL that's too funny. Socks + Birkenstocks = :throwup:

The only thing I can think of is maybe they've seen hippie backpacker people from the US wearing it in Europe, so they think it's normal. Those are the only Americans besides old men who usually wear sock and sandals :shrugs:

^
True, but as most countries have a somewhat similar way of education its people, there will be some general tendencies, of course I did not make this thread to enforce differences and prejudice, it's all in good fun! ;)

That´s hilarious !! Although there are so many cultural differences between the european countries that we can´t take it as one entity. I am shocked by certain things British do (namely their behaviour on holidays in Spain or greece), how loud they are, the shoes the Germans wear, how sexually aggressive Italian and Spanish men are, how the Danes have no concept of queuing...and the French are too judgmental lol !! almost all Europe covered ?

I agree, to me it seems like there are greater differences between a swede and a moscowian than a person from San Fransisco and New York, allthough the differences in distance is quite substantial. :sweatdrop:

On the clothes/shoes issue, I still can't figure out why american men all of time seem to be wearing tees and jeans. All the time, unless they're paid to wear a suit. =P

That is really interesting! Travel agencies should be more helpful.

Before I leave on a trip, I look online for customs/faux pas of the country that I am going to. That is how I figure out what NOT to do so as not to make a fool of myself or give Americans an even worse name than we already have abroad. There is always info about how much to tip and when as well as other general knowledge stuff. I highly recommend that everyone do some online research before they go on a trip.

Once I saw some fellow Americans acting so badly in Paris that I was really embarrassed. I thought to myself "No wonder Europeans think that we are idiots".

Also, I never wear sneakers in Europe! I would rather suffer and look good:yes:

I think that people just believe that when they go to another rich country (I mean, not to Iraq in example...) the rules are always the same and everything works in the same way! I believe that travel agency will tell you infos about the country you're going to only if it's a place very different from yours, i.e. if you go to a muslim country. I also think they are not able (or neither willing if) to provide infos about netiquette.

Talking about sneakers!! The first photos posted with white sneakers: here in Italy young people carry a lot sneakers, esp. Nike, Onitsuka tiger, etc. Adult men tends to wear shoes on Tod's style (well, only few people have real Tod's but it's just to let you understand the design!). There is much freedom about shoes, people wears flip flop (personally I don't like this), Uggs, etc I also believe that most of the people (esp. woman but I've noticed that young boys are the same too) always pay attention to the way they are dressed!

M0000017500266.jpg

This is what I define as the "hideous shoes" Europeans wear. While I myself am not one for the bright-white New Balance or Adidas sneakers I do like a good Samba, Converse, or Prada sneaker.

Gah, I see that type of shoes on wannabe-hip europeans all the time. I really hate it when I see a nice-looking guy with overall nice style, then I look down and see that kind of shoes. I wish more guys would "safe" it with converse or vans.. :shrugs:

Speedy, I think it because that is the way they live their everyday life in their native asian city. Have you ever been to Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore? Pushing and Shoving are away of life. Oh, and all the while having a cell phone attached to your head. LOL

Maxter, no honey, I haven't had the pleasure. My mother told me yes, this was the way of life there, and they just don't get the idea of lining up or personal space. I dunno... I can understand it, but when I was overseas in Germany I tried to learn some of the customs so I didn't leave a bad impression.

I just stay away from the places where people collect if I can. Being low to the ground in crowded places is dangerous at times! EKK!

working in the service industry i've noticed that some europeans don't tip well. i know it's because they're not used to it not being included....but when travelling i think it's important to follow local custom.

also eastern europeans tend to be more "rude" and worse tippers than others. i think it's a cultural thing....they tend to be much more demanding/brusque than other groups i've waited on and on the whole neglect the social niceties that most americans and western europeans use when being demanding.

^ I agree. I'm european, but I'm a horrible tipper because it's not really normal around here (or at least not where I tend to eat). However, I do try and study the local customs around that when I travel and tip accordingly.

Gah, I see that type of shoes on wannabe-hip europeans all the time. I really hate it when I see a nice-looking guy with overall nice style, then I look down and see that kind of shoes. I wish more guys would "safe" it with converse or vans.. :shrugs:

Converse (and a little less Vans) are VERY popular!!!!! I also think that Vans are made in the fabric of North Face I have near home, because there is the name VANS (with the correct logo) close to North Face name!
You can find easily Converse in every color and design! :tup:

ummm i don't think anyone over the age of 16 should wear vans :whistle:

as much as i despise trainers i'd much rather see full leather trainers than vans or worse, cross trainers :yucky: converse i can deal with though, with the right outfit.