Workplace Tired of giving coworker rides

Ugh I was stuck in a situation like this. This girl found out my kid's school was a block away from her bus stop. She made me late once for pick up and I told her, either she can pay the $10/min late fee, leave right on time or find another ride. She chose the third option. Good riddance. Thanks to her, I've never offered another person (that I don't absolutely know well a ride)

yeah, the thread is 5 years old but this problem persists w/coworkers. i used to have a co-worker who rode the bus and one night we got off late (11pm) and I felt like her safety came before everything else, so i offered her a ride (she lived about 5 miles away). well... she started to take advantage of that kindness and i put a quick stop to it. every time she asked, i had the excuse that i wasn't going directly home. i was going to the gym in city X, the mall to meet friends after work, out to dinner with my bf, etc. i had a very active social life after work and was never just going home to my city, i was going the opposite way:P and she quit asking and went back to her bus.

Reactions: showgratitude
The OP posted that she told her she had other things to do and could not give her a ride.

Being on the coworker's side of this situation, the one without a car, I virtually never ask a coworker for a ride home. I have a few coworkers that will offer me a ride occasionally and I'm happy to accept, but I don't ask. I'm perfectly capable of getting myself where I need to go, and if for some reason I do need to have a ride rather than taking the bus, I ask my family to help, not my coworkers. In fact, I don't depend on my coworkers for much of anything.

Reactions: uhpharm01
OMG you are too nice.. a ride once in a while? Fine. But if I start to see a pattern after 2-3 times in a row or I sense them expecting a ride from you.. forget it. i am too impatient for that haha.

I totally understand. For me, others might find me selfish, but I NEEEEEEEED my alone time, my privacy, my separate space. And I have trouble with boundaries, too, which makes for bad situations sometimes. I don't know how to make it sound sweet. "I'm very sorry, but I just can't give rides anymore - I really need to just get straight home." And straight to work worrying only about my own schedule. If you want to make stuff up, you can also say it's to be able to run errands, go to some class, etc - but I"m trying not to be "polite" by adding on anything extra, I need to just close my mouth as soon as possible to keep it simple. But really - you need to be able to just deal with your own schedule, it is not easy to balance work and life as it is without having to add someone else's schedule to your balancing act.

Ok so I have this coworker that I've been giving a ride to and quite frankly I am tired of it. It's not necessarily out of my way but I take a different route when do give this person a ride. I've been trying to find a balance between helping some one out and just having personal boundaries. I find it extremely annoying to always have some one in my space like that. Also we work in a profession where everyone is not always finished their work at the same time. I just want to just "be" honestly. I don't want the burden of waiting for others or having someone wait for me. Then the next thing that irritates me about the situation is that this person doesn't ask when we are leaving work. She waits for you and act as if it is expected that she gets a ride. She always asks about your work schedule in advance. Others whom she has done the same thing with has said the same thing. The last time she stepped outta my car she didn't even utter the word thanks. I'm starting to feel like she is just using all of us. At the end of the day I feel it is not other peoples responsibility to get a grown person to and from work.

Anybody feel me? Help...how do I get this chick out of my car with out coming off rude. I'm sure the next time we work she will text me to pick her up. I'm thinking to ignore the text altogether and hopefully she will get the hint and not hang around and wait for me when we are done working.

I can understand you completely!
I have been in a simular situation.

Last edited: