Tips for buying LV

LVKeepallfan

Apr 8, 2008
Warning: this is kinda long..

Anyway, for the past few days, I have been saddened seeing many of you buying defected LV's. I understand it is disappointing to discover your purchase has a defect after spending a ton of $$$ on them. Here's how I make my purchase at LV and, just to let you know in advance, I am a little OCD with LV's. First, I go into the store and ask to see a specific bag. Two things tend to happen; either the SA will take a display bag and show me or take one out of their mysterious drawers. I clearly state to the SA that I don't buy displays and ask for a "fresh out of the drawer" bag. Once he/she gives me one, I immediately check it one square inch at a time and I kid you not, I take anywhere from 10-15 minutes just checking every inch of the bag both exterior and interior including the handles and stitches (make sure nothing is loose). I also check and make sure that the Monogram or Damier pattern is perfectly AND I MEAN PERFECTLY aligned. I purposely tell the SA to feel free to help other customers; this gives me more time to check my bag. If the bag is perfect, I'll ask for a second one just to compare. It is not unusual for me to ask the SA to take out two, three or sometimes four bags for me to compare. I usually take the one that's recently made (check the date code) and with the lightest vachetta. I know it's tedious but I HAVE NEVER EVER returned any purchases because of a defect. I also buy LV's to give as gifts to mom, brother, and 2 best buddies and I certainly don't want to give them defective products. Hope this helps.

Why is it we always seem to do the majority of the checking over a bag when we get home!!! The op is correct, the time to really examine a bag is in the store. I notice what the SAs do to, they provide the display and then go into the stock room get a fresh bag and give the customer 20 seconds to say its fine. How can anyone know in 20 seconds if the bag is fine. I think I am going to start examining each piece I buy as well inch by inch, for there are simply too many defective pieces out there today. I use to feel comfortable especially if the item was made in their factory in France, but the last defective piece I had to return, a complice wallet, was made in France so it does not seem to matter in regard to factory, there is no assurance. Ladies check inch by inch, the original OP is right, it will save so much time in the end as well as the hassle of exchanging!

Yes, thx for your tip... I actually did check inch by inch... I'm not that OCD but I've had tons of other experiences with clothes, you name it, a hole in one of the armpits; the length of the left-arm / right-arm sleeves doesn't match (believe it or not, one is at least 1 inch longer than the other); and some obvious ones loosing threads / buttons...

I need to be extra careful next time, even though I did check this time and the thread comes out of nowhere. :sad:

I would love to be able to do that, but I don't have any boutiques near me. I have everything shipped. I immediately contact the store if there is a problem once I receive the item, and also ship it back immediately so there's no chance of them thinking I somehow damaged the item.

It's a good tip. Maybe I need to bring another tPFer with me the next time I venture into a boutique! :yes: I try to do this but have to truthfully admit that I get intimidated and sometimes rush when I'm in the store. I get nervous a lot, because I feel a lot of the SAs rush you or make you feel hurried or intimidated. It's uncomfortable that we have to look over what should be perfect luxury items. I feel nervous having to do this in front of an SA. I know I can say to the SA, feel free to help someone else, but sometimes there is no one else to help. I know this is just my impression and I shouldn't let it get to me, but again I have to be honest and sometimes it does... I feel like I'm made to feel that I'm not good enough to shop at LV, even though I live in a very high income area and certainly have enough to shop at LV. The snobbery sometimes can be extremely intimidating. How do you guys explain looking over a bag that at these prices should be perfect??? Do you say that you are looking for defects? Are you straight-up honest or make up other reasons. Just curious...

It's a good tip. Maybe I need to bring another tPFer with me the next time I venture into a boutique! :yes: I try to do this but have to truthfully admit that I get intimidated and sometimes rush when I'm in the store. I get nervous a lot, because I feel a lot of the SAs rush you or make you feel hurried or intimidated. It's uncomfortable that we have to look over what should be perfect luxury items. I feel nervous having to do this in front of an SA. I know I can say to the SA, feel free to help someone else, but sometimes there is no one else to help. I know this is just my impression and I shouldn't let it get to me, but again I have to be honest and sometimes it does... I feel like I'm made to feel that I'm not good enough to shop at LV, even though I live in a very high income area and certainly have enough to shop at LV. The snobbery sometimes can be extremely intimidating. How do you guys explain looking over a bag that at these prices should be perfect??? Do you say that you are looking for defects? Are you straight-up honest or make up other reasons. Just curious...

Gd comment! I've never thought of that!

I'll just tell her I need all the time that I need to check my bag, if she continues to bug me or tries to give me her "look" that I'm too OCD, I'll just tell her when I find flaws at home, I'll definitely come back and ask for a return and you'll just need to do more paper work, just tell her honestly that you don't want her to do the extra paper work which she should be more than glad.

And also mentiont that if I don't check carefully, I'll not be 100% happy and you (the shop) may blame me for causing that flaw.

Are these good enough reasons?

Also, I'm not going in to look for flaws, but shouldn't I get a flaw-free bag for the price I pay? I just wonder.

Thank you for your replies. I'm glad I could help. Yes, the feeling once inside the store and checking your possible purchase in front of an SA is intimidating. I on the other hand could care less. I just let them know I like to check and recheck my bag before finalizing the sale. I also ask questions. When I purchased my Keepall 60 Bandouliere, I asked what the advantages and disadvantages are of the 60 versus the 55 w/o strap. I also asked when LV began producing the Keepall, if the Keepall is available in other LV patterns, etc. I know the answers to these of course, I am just creating more time for me to check my bag.
Next time you feel intimidated in the boutique; try and take a deep breath. This is what I say to myself before opening the door. "Ok, it's just a store and you know what you're going to get. It's okay to look, but focus on what you are going to get. Don't forget to check, must be perfect to take it home."

That is such a good tip!

I use to feel pressured as well taking a while checking out a handbag when the SA is watching me, I feel like Im taking too much of their time but now I dont care.

I take as long as I want and I tell the SA to go help others while I decide.
I also prefer to take the lightest vachetta too =)

There is one SA in Melbourne at the Crown store that even brings out two bags of the same one I want and ask me to closely take a look at which one I want! Ive always gone to her now, bcoz some of the others in the city Collins st store makes me feel very rushed!

When I go in the store I don't do that much checking. And so far I've never had any defective bags. I just can't spend that much time checking my bag and the SA's attitudes have nothing to do with that at all. I just don't have that kind of patience. And I definitely don't ask them to take out more than one fo the same bag. Is the first bag is perfect, the way you want, then why have them take out other bags? Why not just get that one? And I never even thought to look at the date code. Is there some major reason why you should get certain date codes as opposed to others? I'm really not trying to be combative, I'm just genuinely curious.