Tips and tricks for dyeing an all-suede bag

jblended

Inhale. Exhale. Repeat.
Mar 17, 2019
I have found a vintage suede bag that is in pretty rough shape. I think the original colour may have been Teal because it's a faded light blue/green colour now with lots of black markings. It is bald in some spots as well.
I'm looking to bring it back to life and wanted to dye it a darker colour. I tried using Fieblings dye and it originally looked great, but I brushed the suede with a suede brush after it had dried and all the dye turned to dust and fell off. :confused1:
I can't quite explain it but the bag looks basically as it had before. There was a little dye transfer to the inside of the bag, so the dye did soak through, but it somehow didn't take on the body of the bag.
Anyway, I'm still hoping I can fix this baby up. I'd really appreciate tips and tricks from those who've been more successful on how to successfully dye a suede bag and actually get the dye to stick.
Thank you!

I have found a vintage suede bag that is in pretty rough shape. I think the original colour may have been Teal because it's a faded light blue/green colour now with lots of black markings. It is bald in some spots as well.
I'm looking to bring it back to life and wanted to dye it a darker colour. I tried using Fieblings dye and it originally looked great, but I brushed the suede with a suede brush after it had dried and all the dye turned to dust and fell off. :confused1:
I can't quite explain it but the bag looks basically as it had before. There was a little dye transfer to the inside of the bag, so the dye did soak through, but it somehow didn't take on the body of the bag.
Anyway, I'm still hoping I can fix this baby up. I'd really appreciate tips and tricks from those who've been more successful on how to successfully dye a suede bag and actually get the dye to stick.
Thank you!
Did you use Fiebing's dye that's specifically for suede?

Did you use Fiebing's dye that's specifically for suede?
Yes. I have no idea what happened. It looked amazing when it was fully dry. Then I brushed it to restore the nap and it all just fluffed off like a powder. Very strange! Maybe the suede was originally treated with something that prevents the dye soaking through, but I did prep it with their solution so... I dunno. :shrugs:

Yes. I have no idea what happened. It looked amazing when it was fully dry. Then I brushed it to restore the nap and it all just fluffed off like a powder. Very strange! Maybe the suede was originally treated with something that prevents the dye soaking through, but I did prep it with their solution so... I dunno. :shrugs:
I'd give it a few more coats, with the dry brushing in between. Also maybe give Angelus suede dye a try.

• Insightful
Reactions: jblended
I'd give it a few more coats, with the dry brushing in between. Also maybe give Angelus suede dye a try.

Will do, thank you very much for replying.

Edit: I use Angelus acrylics all the time but haven't tried their suede dyes. I'll post the results after I try.

Agree with @Deco. I’ve read it can take multiple thin coats (applied with a dauber — maybe a wool dauber? ) for the suede dye to ‘take.’
And also read somewhere to wait 12 hours between coats? There is also a sealing spray. . .

@papertiger had a faded teal shearling, I think, so am tagging her. (My apologies, if my memory is wrong). Also it is possible @docride might have some advice if you do a search.

• Thanks
Reactions: jblended
Agree with @Deco. I’ve read it can take multiple thin coats (applied with a dauber — maybe a wool dauber? ) for the suede dye to ‘take.’
And also read somewhere to wait 12 hours between coats? There is also a sealing spray. . .

@papertiger had a faded teal shearling, I think, so am tagging her. (My apologies, if my memory is wrong). Also it is possible @docride might have some advice if you do a search.

My shearling is leather on the outside. I think if it had faded overall and not in places, I wouldn't have minded. I think the problem was lack of oils. Not sure why it happened, it was at the extremities. My leather cream did help, but I should have repeated the process.

Thank you!

Once brushed, I think you may need to find a specific suede dye. Once you buy iy, it'll guide you as to how to prepare. Most suede (and leather) dyes will not harden the leather, other dyes will ruin.

• Thanks
  • Insightful
Reactions: jblended and 880