Tip for Take-out?

If it is a sit-down resturant where the bartender has to deal with your order (my local outback and red lobster are this way) then I do leave a tip. Typically I give a smaller percentage than what I would for sitting in (say 5-8%).

If it is a place that specializes in take out, and has a system for it (car side service like Applebees) I typically don't tip.

I used to work at a restaurant, and I had to package the to-go orders. It was a lot of work to seat people, take the orders over the phone, be the cashier, AND make sure nothing was missing from the to-go order. I always appreciated it when I received a tip. So now yes I definitely leave a tip. :yes::yes::yes:

Yes, I still leave 10-15% but I leave about 20-30% when I sit-down. Someone still has to take the order and get it ready so I feel they still deserve a tip.

We do, but we tend to get our takeout from a handful of favorite restaurants, where the people are especially nice to us and give us special deals and extra stuff.

Technically, I don't think it is absolutely necessary since there is no "service" as such involved, but it is a nice gesture, and can be helpful in making you loved at that restaurant, and thus get special deals and extra stuff...

And if there is a "tip jar" by the register, by all means, you should drop a few dollars in!

And I am referring to pick-up take out. Anything that is delivered, I think it is mandatory, from the politeness standpoint, to tip the driver, since she did provide some "service" in the generally understood sense of the word.

I actually just went put up Chilis to go... and I said F*it (haha) and gave the guy all my dollar bills (only $4) but it's SOMETHING. I don't think it's necessary, but I'm overly nice when it comes to tipping people especially when seated IN a rest.