Tiffany Service Question

m8875

O.G.
Sep 12, 2006
hello :smile: I am new to Tiffany here ..... I’m more familiar with van cleef and Cartier........ I am about to buy a used Tiffany piece and perhaps even a vintage one from auction. I called 2 Tiffany stores whether they can polish (the paid polish, not the ones in store) used Tiffany gold pieces. I got 2 different answers:

1. First store told me that I need to know the original purchaser of the item and they have to search in computer before they can send of any pieces for repairs or polish. Otherwise, they can only polish in store (free). In other words, if you buy a used piece and you break your piece, you cannot repair with Tiffany. This doesn’t really make sense to me because jewelry is meant to be handed down and it’s an investment piece that someone can sell once bored with it etc.....
2. Second store, I spoke with someone who has been with Tiffany for 25 years and he said that the above is incorrect. No purchase record is needed. They will be able to send off and verify authenticity and do work as long as they verify that it’s authentic Tiffany. This seems to make more sense as van cleef and Cartier are like this too.

Can anyone chime in on this? Maybe a more straightforward question would be: if you buy a used Tiffany piece on eBay, can you have Tiffany service it without purchase records?

Thanks!!!

I've always had my pre loved pieces serviced without question. I've had to pay for the service, but it's never been a problem.
Perfect! I have no issue with paying but when I buy prelove I always immediately send it off for service to make it new and I assume they will automatically reject the work if they cant verify the authenticity. So in other words It’s like killing 2 birds with 1 stone (refresh the piece + verify authenticity). Is my line of thought correct with Tiffany?

Perfect! I have no issue with paying but when I buy prelove I always immediately send it off for service to make it new and I assume they will automatically reject the work if they cant verify the authenticity. So in other words It’s like killing 2 birds with 1 stone (refresh the piece + verify authenticity). Is my line of thought correct with Tiffany?
That's been my experience. I call the NY service center directly and mail my things in. No problems so far.

Hi! I purchase new from Tiffany when I have needed repairs, they just take them without asking me if I am the original owner.

A tip... I have done repairs by taking it into a store and also sent it in by mail. If you repair via mail, they will send it back to you in a nice pouch with a box and a bow. However when I have picked up my repairs at the store, I just get the piece back.

I have so many boxes now! It’s not a big deal but I wanted to pass that info along in case you did not get a pouch, box and bow and you want one as you said you were not the original owner.

Hi! I purchase new from Tiffany when I have needed repairs, they just take them without asking me if I am the original owner.

A tip... I have done repairs by taking it into a store and also sent it in by mail. If you repair via mail, they will send it back to you in a nice pouch with a box and a bow. However when I have picked up my repairs at the store, I just get the piece back.

I have so many boxes now! It’s not a big deal but I wanted to pass that info along in case you did not get a pouch, box and bow and you want one as you said you were not the original owner.

Thank you so very much!! That’s really good info and I think I will just mail it in since it’s much easier.

May I ask if this link below is the correct process for mailing repairs? I do see that the proof of purchase line says “if available” meaning it’s not a requirement.

https://m.tiffany.com/mobile/Service/Faq.aspx?faq_id=1737&FAQ_CATEGORY=83

Thank you so very much!! That’s really good info and I think I will just mail it in since it’s much easier.

May I ask if this link below is the correct process for mailing repairs? I do see that the proof of purchase line says “if available” meaning it’s not a requirement.

https://m.tiffany.com/mobile/Service/Faq.aspx?faq_id=1737&FAQ_CATEGORY=83

Hi! Yes...that’s the form. They will email you when they receive it and then also give you an estimate once it gets in the queue for repair. They will not do anything until you approve and if you do not approve, they will mail it back to you no charge. Very good process.

I send my silver signature required. For more expensive pieces, I send it Registered Mail.

I think you will like this process. Easy.

Reactions: USCGirlie
Hi! Yes...that’s the form. They will email you when they receive it and then also give you an estimate once it gets in the queue for repair. They will not do anything until you approve and if you do not approve, they will mail it back to you no charge. Very good process.

I send my silver signature required. For more expensive pieces, I send it Registered Mail.

I think you will like this process. Easy.

Perfect! Thanks so much!!