Tiffany E-ring Upgrade/HCA vs Triple Excellent - Decisions, decisions!

sure do!

The two pics taken outdoors are the 62.7% depth ring.

Granted, the deeper diamond is a smaller carat weight (0.91) however i feel that the angle of the little legs that grab the diamond (sorry not sure what the proper term is :P) look better on the shallower diamond (1.02).

OP may look at this for reference ^^

Attachments

• IMG_1967.JPG
    IMG_1967.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_1463.JPG
    IMG_1463.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 741
  • IMG_1464.JPG
    IMG_1464.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 703
Excuse me a moment...*giggles* The little legs are PRONGS. They plus the "cup" make up the head. The whole thing is considered a setting. The round part of the ring is the shank.

Thanks very much Luciness for these pictures, they are indeed very helpful!

My current ring (60.3 depth, but large table of 59) looks more like your 61 depth ring and I do think it is prettier now that I see these pictures! Ahh! I will have to take a look at the 62 depth ones I get in and see if it looks more like your 61 depth pictures vs. the 62.7 depth pictures. As they fall in between, I'm hoping they sit pretty! Otherwise, I may just have to wait, although the wait is driving me crazy!! =)

View attachment 2138300View attachment 2138301

One is 62.7% depth, one is 61% depth. I think there is a difference and to me the shallower one looks better

Excuse me a moment...*giggles* The little legs are PRONGS. They plus the "cup" make up the head. The whole thing is considered a setting. The round part of the ring is the shank.

ahh :smile: Prongs.. that sounds much better than 'little legs':roflmfao:

the 62.7% depth diamond is actually the one I ended up exchanging as I was really unhappy with the cut. Lucky I managed to snap a few pics of it:smile:

I think the pictures that Tiffany uses on their advertising for the solitaire looks closer to the shallower diamond side view~

sure do!

The two pics taken outdoors are the 62.7% depth ring.

Granted, the deeper diamond is a smaller carat weight (0.91) however i feel that the angle of the little legs that grab the diamond (sorry not sure what the proper term is :P) look better on the shallower diamond (1.02).

OP may look at this for reference ^^

I just looked at mine at the similar angle I think they look quite similar! Couldn't really tell!? But I guess yer maybe the prongs looks bit nicer when its in a slight wider angle if u get what I mean! But here's a close up as ref! N depth is 60.6% ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365810139.084397.jpg

I have now received a couple more options but am a little confused on what is the best choice. They don't seem to have ideal depths (since both are over 62) and both have HCA's of about 2.5. However, they are both about $2k less than my 1.39 option 1 in my original first post (which is the one I am considering and which has an HCA of 1.2 with better angles i think!) Good news is that this 1.39 H is available but bad news is that it's located in Macau and will take 6-8 weeks to arrive! These are the specs of the two diamonds I received today:

Option 1: 1.35 I VS1

MEASUREMENTS 7.01 - 7.03 x 4.41 mm
(minimum girdle diameter - maximum girdle diameter x depth in mm)
CARAT WEIGHT 1.350 carats
COLOR GRADE I
FLUORESCENCE None
PRESENCE
PRECISION OF CUT Excellent
SYMMETRY Excellent
POLISH Excellent
CLARITY GRADE VS1
ENHANCEMENTS None
(Besides Cut/Polishing)
CUT PROPORTIONS
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 62.8%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 56%
CROWN HEIGHT PERCENTAGE 15.8%
CROWN ANGLE 35.2°
PAVILION DEPTH PERCENTAGE 43.2%
PAVILION ANGLE 40.9°
GIRDLE THICKNESS Medium To Slightly Thick
GIRDLE FINISH Faceted
CULET None
LOWER HALF LENGTH PERCENTAGE 77%
STAR LENGTH PERCENTAGE 53%
CLARITY PLOT
CROWN INSCRIPTION T&CO.N10150281
GIRDLE INSCRIPTION

Option 2: 1.45 I VS2

MEASUREMENTS 7.24 - 7.25 x 4.53 mm
(minimum girdle diameter - maximum girdle diameter x depth in mm)
CARAT WEIGHT 1.450 carats
COLOR GRADE I
FLUORESCENCE None
PRESENCE
PRECISION OF CUT Excellent
SYMMETRY Excellent
POLISH Excellent
CLARITY GRADE VS2
ENHANCEMENTS None
(Besides Cut/Polishing)
CUT PROPORTIONS
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 62.5%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 55%
CROWN HEIGHT PERCENTAGE 16.0%
CROWN ANGLE 35.1°
PAVILION DEPTH PERCENTAGE 43.3%
PAVILION ANGLE 41.0°
GIRDLE THICKNESS Thin To Medium
GIRDLE FINISH Faceted
CULET None
LOWER HALF LENGTH PERCENTAGE 80%
STAR LENGTH PERCENTAGE 50%
CLARITY PLOT

Any thoughts between the 2 above and comparing to the Option 1 (1.39 H) in original post?

Thank you very very much!! This is very exciting for me, but at the same time dizzying =)

Thanks Ame, I will ask to see this 1.45 as well! Will I then just have to decide by sight? I'm not sure if I trust my judgement :-s

I know HCA is not the end all and be all, however, for the 1.45 it only comes out as very good for the 4 categories vs. for the 1.39 it comes out as Excellent for the first 3 categories/very good for spread. Not sure if you have any further comments on this aspect?
If they both look good in person, which would you choose - the $2k less 1.45 I VS2 with HCA of 2.5 (all very good ratings) or the 1.39 H VS2 with HCA of 1.2 (excellent in 3 categories)? Thank you!

Ok now that I am not on my phone trying to type....ASSUMING that they are "identical" in person side-by-side, to your eyes, and you cannot make a decision when you see them, and the HCA should really NOT be the decider, I did some pro-con for each:

Pros for the 1.38: Higher color, "Mind Clean" HCA score (if that even matters, wouldn't matter to me)

Con for the 1.38: Higher price, slightly smaller size (like....barely.)

Pros for the 1.45: Lower price, Still really close to a great score on HCA, just outside of ideal, and a 2.5 doesn't mean it's a problem. There are plenty of great stones that fall just outside of the HCA, and plenty of great ones that fall INSIDE the 0-2 range, slightly larger size (again, like...barely)

Cons for the 1.45: It's a lower color by one grade, will the "lower" HCA score be a mind clean issue for you (it would not bother me, but it does bother others).

Thanks Ame! You are so generous with your advice and time and I very much appreciate it!

I can't wait to see both in person, I'm hoping one calls out to me more than the other and I will definitely have the pros/cons in mind. I do have to admit the 1.45 calls out to me on paper as it's closest to the 1.5 size I have always wanted!! In the meantime, if I get any more in I will post the specs here! It's going to be a very long wait, definitely testing my patience..but worth it for sure! =)

Yea the number of that 1.45 is certainly appealing, I will admit. It's a 1.5 without the pricetag a 1.5 firm would get you.

I don't know WHY the heck there is such a ridiculous wait. That makes ZERO sense to me, with Fedex being capable of overnight and all.