Tiffany E-ring Upgrade/HCA vs Triple Excellent - Decisions, decisions!

Why the hurry? Basically so that I can stop the insanity of diamond researching taking over my mind/life all day, making it hard for me to concentrate on work and family lol

You're right, GOG and WhiteFlash did send me tons of photos of the diamonds I inquired about. But my concern is having it in my hands, after paying for it, and don't like it in person. And if I didn't like it, I don't want to deal with the postal service of returning and buying insurance to cover loss. I dealt with items bought from eBay and had enough issues with items lost in mail and postal service claiming I signed for them. I like the ability to walk in to a store and do a return/exchange.

Well, that would be a VERY unusual situation in this instance. It just takes a longer period the way they require it be sent back for return. BGD and WF require it be returned via USPS Registered Insured which is under lock and key and is HIGHLY unlikely to be lost up to a specific value, anything over a specific value goes through their FedEx and insurance IIRC. GOG will usually have you use their FedEx on their insurance for overnight because of the amount insured.

You can eliminate the 1.36 right now. A 59% table falls between an ideal and a tolkowsky 60/60, but it isn't either. It's in a weird middle window. To some people's eyes, it might be appealing but if you're buying on numbers, it's a no.

Based on the angles the first one provides, it could be a consideration. But you need the numbers.

I have just been provided the full specs on this first one 1.33, H, VS1, Triple Excellent MEASUREMENTS 7.01 - 7.07 x 4.36 mm
TOTAL DEPTH PERCENTAGE 61.9%
TABLE SIZE PERCENTAGE 57%
CROWN HEIGHT PERCENTAGE 15.3%
CROWN ANGLE 34.9°
PAVILION DEPTH PERCENTAGE 43.0%
PAVILION ANGLE 40.7°
GIRDLE THICKNESS Medium To Slightly Thick
GIRDLE FINISH Faceted
CULET None
LOWER HALF LENGTH PERCENTAGE 79%
STAR LENGTH PERCENTAGE 51%

Opinion of this vs. Option 1 in my original first post? This one is actually about $800 more...and scores 1.3 on HCA.

Also, a little off topic, but does everyone here take off their rings everyday (i.e. to take a shower etc)? I haven't taken my ring off in the 10 years since I've been married and the SA's thought that was rare (and that it showed on my ring haha)...really dirty i guess! tks!!

Toss up, really. This one is higher priced because of the clarity increase. IF they can send you both to see in person, that would be what I would request to do. Then you can see what you think in person. I still think there will be more in the pipeline to view, but if you are not wanting to keep looking forever, have them bring these in.

As far as your 2nd question, I almost never wear my rings at all to be totally honest. But I NEVER sleep in, shower in, clean in, cook in, work in, do ANY work with my hands (filing, cleaning, housework, laundry, invitation work) in my rings. EVER. I put them in their individual ring boxes when I need to use my hands or when I get home and will be getting ready for dinner prep or showering/sleep.

I have asked to see both of them to at least start seeing/comparing diamonds in person. Since it wasn't ordered when I first asked them, first they have to check availability which may take up to a week and then it will take another 4-5 weeks. So at the earliest it seems I won't be getting a ring (unless something pops up in my local store!) for probably another couple months. In the meantime, I have asked them to keep checking, so maybe something great will come in during this time. Otherwise, I don't think I want to be searching for much longer than a few months...it wears me out! lol I don't know how you do it Ame =)

Wow, is it because you don't want to damage the ring? I just never even thought about it. I put mine on when we were engaged and that's it! Other than the very seldom cleanings I do at Tiffany's, I never take it off! They SA's said I needed a full devoted couple hours to clean it properly!

Thanks very much for your help so far, I will keep you posted and am grateful for your advice!

My first Tiffany diamond was a 1.33 ct H VS1 Triple Excellent!! It was a beautiful stone. I actually just looked up the paperwork to be sure that it wasn't the same stone that you're considering. Good luck deciding and I hope they don't make you wait too long. I know I was a crazy person while waiting for mine. =)

I definitely am extra insane about preventing damage, yes, but it's not really "good for it" to be worn for handiwork, showering/sleeping and rough stuff. Increased risk of damage and stone loss. Besides that, I don't feel like I can really use my hands if I have jewelry on at all. I cant dig in to drawers or really work on an order if i have rings on, esp since it could damage the paper. And I can't sleep in rings the way my hands swell at night. I'd lose a finger!

I cannot understand why it takes a month to send something to Toronto.

Michiganav - can I ask what specs you are searching for? I suppose for me I just want to be within the ideal ranges and an HCA of less than 2.

I'm looking for an H or G color, currently not sure about which clarity I prefer, probably VS2 or higher. I am looking at 1.8. I've gone into the store to view a couple of stones. What I found useful was to compare the stones they brought in in different parts of the store, with different lighting conditions. I was also able to compare them outside in the sunlight, which was helpful.

Good luck with your search.

I asked tiffany what they did with returned rings and they said they don't reuse them at tiffany but sell elsewhere instead.

I know this waiting is already driving me nuts!!

I'm looking for an H or G color, currently not sure about which clarity I prefer, probably VS2 or higher. I am looking at 1.8. I've gone into the store to view a couple of stones. What I found useful was to compare the stones they brought in in different parts of the store, with different lighting conditions. I was also able to compare them outside in the sunlight, which was helpful.

Good luck with your search.

Good luck to you as well! how did you turn them down? I'm afraid I'll be easily convinced by all the sparkle and won't be able to say no! :amazed:

Thanks, that's terrific! May I ask how long ago you purchased and your approx specs? When I spoke to my SA she pretty much said most will be in the approx 62 depth, so since the one diamond I'm debating on has an HCA of 1.2 but with 62 depth, I'm thinking it may be very unlikely to find a shallower depth...Also, I'm unsure if I would even notice?! I'm not very good at waiting, esp when the odds are against me lol

ImageUploadedByPurseForum1365748227.228825.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1365748238.148408.jpg

One is 62.7% depth, one is 61% depth. I think there is a difference and to me the shallower one looks better