Tiffany e-ring upgrade - anyone ever upgrade for less than twice the price?

surfergirljen

Ooooh, pretty!
O.G.
Feb 24, 2009
Hi girls!

Just doing a little guilty research on upsizing a classic solitaire... they let me do it once before from 1.26 - 1.50 two years ago and the price difference was not quite twice (was $16,800 to $28,500 I believe)...

I'd consider putting 20K more in if I could get close to a 2 carat, but was quoted similar specs to mine (with 1.86 carat weight) at $48,000... which is a lot for me but also not quite the $57K that their policy states.

I'm wondering if anyone has found wiggle room before with this policy? Obviously I did once before! But not by much. I would think they would allow me to go up to 1.9 if it wasn't doulble the price but am not sure!

Would love to hear any experiences!

Well I'm sure you read my story back when it happened but I'll write a short version here for the record. Original ring was 1.33ct at 16,100. We upgraded about three years later to a 2.44ct for 78,500 which was obviously far more than double. But I almost immediately regretted not putting in a few more dollars to get above 3ct which was my dream. A few months after the upgrade, I worked up the nerve to wander in to my Tiffany store and tell my SA that I wasn't happy with the size. She thought I was insane and told me over and over again that the sale was final and they could not re-upgrade me. She tried to sell me on a gaudy 15k 4mm diamond band to replace my wedding band but I wasn't open to it at all. I wanted the one big rock with a more dainty band (which I was sentimental about anyway). At that point she tried to sell me on just getting a new ring without trading in my old one but obviously I wasn't going to drop another 100k. I kept telling her no thanks but we looked through the inventory anyway to at least get an idea of how much things cost. I left that day with a big fat "no" from her on the trade in. Two days later I got an email from her saying that she had been talking to the other SAs and went all the way up the management chain and MIGHT be able to allow me to upgrade a second time but I would still have to redouble the purchase price (157k). I told her that I didn't want to go that high and that I really wanted to keep it under 100k and she told me that that was simply impossible (and acted like I was asking her to walk on water...). Anyway, I told her no thanks again and that I guess I'll just keep my 2.44ct...About a week later I get an email saying that the head guy at the store had contacted Tiffany corporate and that they had all agreed to make a one time only special exception and allow me to upgrade a second time (with the unspoken assumption that I would be spending over 100k). In the end, I ended up nearly re-doubling anyway. I'm not sure if they gave me leeway because I was spending so much or if they would offered it at a lower price point but they definitely made it seem like an act of congress to get it done. Even when I finally got the re-upgrade, they introduced us to the whole staff and made it seem like they were doing me a huge favor. I mean they were nice but definitely acted like it was out of the norm for them to make an exception.

This whole thing is kind of funny because I used you (OP) as my example that they've done it before when I was begging them to make the exception for me. Hopefully they'll work with you! Good luck!

Well I'm sure you read my story back when it happened but I'll write a short version here for the record. Original ring was 1.33ct at 16,100. We upgraded about three years later to a 2.44ct for 78,500 which was obviously far more than double. But I almost immediately regretted not putting in a few more dollars to get above 3ct which was my dream. A few months after the upgrade, I worked up the nerve to wander in to my Tiffany store and tell my SA that I wasn't happy with the size. She thought I was insane and told me over and over again that the sale was final and they could not re-upgrade me. She tried to sell me on a gaudy 15k 4mm diamond band to replace my wedding band but I wasn't open to it at all. I wanted the one big rock with a more dainty band (which I was sentimental about anyway). At that point she tried to sell me on just getting a new ring without trading in my old one but obviously I wasn't going to drop another 100k. I kept telling her no thanks but we looked through the inventory anyway to at least get an idea of how much things cost. I left that day with a big fat "no" from her on the trade in. Two days later I got an email from her saying that she had been talking to the other SAs and went all the way up the management chain and MIGHT be able to allow me to upgrade a second time but I would still have to redouble the purchase price (157k). I told her that I didn't want to go that high and that I really wanted to keep it under 100k and she told me that that was simply impossible (and acted like I was asking her to walk on water...). Anyway, I told her no thanks again and that I guess I'll just keep my 2.44ct...About a week later I get an email saying that the head guy at the store had contacted Tiffany corporate and that they had all agreed to make a one time only special exception and allow me to upgrade a second time (with the unspoken assumption that I would be spending over 100k). In the end, I ended up nearly re-doubling anyway. I'm not sure if they gave me leeway because I was spending so much or if they would offered it at a lower price point but they definitely made it seem like an act of congress to get it done. Even when I finally got the re-upgrade, they introduced us to the whole staff and made it seem like they were doing me a huge favor. I mean they were nice but definitely acted like it was out of the norm for them to make an exception.

This whole thing is kind of funny because I used you (OP) as my example that they've done it before when I was begging them to make the exception for me. Hopefully they'll work with you! Good luck!

HAHA! That's so funny! You are right, I changed my mind maybe 6-8 months later on the 1.26 and was 100% sure I'd never want to go bigger but have been toying forever with the soleste as a right hand ring and just can't commit! I'm just not sure I'm a right hand ring kind of girl in the end! :smile: But feel like I wouldn't mind going up a little on the left hand! hee hee. My experience earlier was much easier than yours somehow! And I'd had mine sized too... I have to look up who my SA was. Love that they make it seem like you are doing them a FAVOUR for spending another huge bundle of money... I mean I get that you can't have people coming in with used rings every day but after a certain price point COME ON! It probably costs them $400 to reset that diamond into a new band and melt the old one down to recast. Isn't that worth the huge upgrade they get from you?

Will try and try! Thanks everyone!