Thoughts on the new sustainable brand "The Curated"?

I finally got a chance to see the coats in real life in Paris, after seeing them online.

I like the designs and colors, they are quite on-trend and classic at the same time, with that nice oversized fit.

At the same time, I don’t think they compare to Max Mara.

They look pretty well-made and the quality is definitely higher than Zara/J Crew, but they’re not comparable to Max Mara in terms of quality, cut, finishing and overall luxurious feel. To me, there’s an obvious difference in the look of the fabric especially. This makes sense given the difference in price points. I think they’re priced quite fairly on their own merit, and they’re definitely nice coats, but anyone expecting a close alternative for Max Mara might be disappointed.

Just wanted to share as perhaps not everyone has a chance to see both in real life!

I finally got a chance to see the coats in real life in Paris, after seeing them online.

I like the designs and colors, they are quite on-trend and classic at the same time, with that nice oversized fit.

At the same time, I don’t think they compare to Max Mara.

They look pretty well-made and the quality is definitely higher than Zara/J Crew, but they’re not comparable to Max Mara in terms of quality, cut, finishing and overall luxurious feel. To me, there’s an obvious difference in the look of the fabric especially. This makes sense given the difference in price points. I think they’re priced quite fairly on their own merit, and they’re definitely nice coats, but anyone expecting a close alternative for Max Mara might be disappointed.

Just wanted to share as perhaps not everyone has a chance to see both in real life!
This is good to know and very helpful, thank you!
I would certainly hope there is a big delta in difference between Max Mara and Curated - after all, the price points are 10x apart! Of course some of that difference will be branding, but I suspect a good percentage is also just in raw materials and labor as well. Thank you for your input!

Reactions: sylphfae
The coats are lovely - but they do not compare to Max Mara. I’m not talking about the main line Max Mara where the price points are 8x higher. I’m comparing to the S Max Mara line where the price points are twice as high. I have seven S Max Mara coats - Poldo, Paride and Arona styles. All are comparable to The Curated style wise and if you wait for offers on LVR, Matches and My Theresa, you can 40% off bringing the coats within 2x the price point. And the quality is superior for sure.

I used to own eight (8) Curated coats. As I say they are lovely quality - especially for the price point. I am a self-confessed coat addict so it was very easy for me to collect so many. But I have since sold all of them. The owner made me feel so worthless and small that I just could not bring myself to wear the coats. All I could think about were her emails and treatment of me. Took away all enjoyment of wearing the coats. She upset me so much. I am going back a couple of years but some of the posts here have brought it back to me.

I made the mistake of ordering too many coats. Over the space of 6 months, I ordered 15 (in different orders of say 3 coats at a time). I do have an addiction to coats (and handbags for that matter) but also, I was unsure in sizing for the various different style so I tended to order two sizes of each style. I returned 7 coats and kept 8. And I was then banned from ordering anything else. I get that the brand is pledging to be sustainable, so my returning so many coats goes against that ethos to some extent. But I did keep 8 coats and only returned duplicates for sizing purposes. And I did pay £20 restocking/return fee for every single coat I sent back.

I apologised over and over for ordering (and returning) excessively. The emails that followed were terrible. So rude and as if I was nothing - I had bought and paid for 8 coats so I must have been one of the most valuable customers. I kept my emails nice and at one point pleaded to be allowed to buy one more coat for my 50th Birthday. That’s embarrassing now I look back. But I was ignored or chastised and eventually my self worth kicked in so I didn’t try anymore. I just left it. I did not leave negative reviews anywhere - just kept quiet. Until now…..

I see similar posts from a couple of girls here so I thought why not - why not let people know the downside to buying from this brand. The owner is wonderful to influencers - sending them free coats etc. But to little people like me - she can be quite unkind and she had no concept as to how she made me feel. I bought eight coats?

The coats are lovely - but they do not compare to Max Mara. I’m not talking about the main line Max Mara where the price points are 8x higher. I’m comparing to the S Max Mara line where the price points are twice as high. I have seven S Max Mara coats - Poldo, Paride and Arona styles. All are comparable to The Curated style wise and if you wait for offers on LVR, Matches and My Theresa, you can 40% off bringing the coats within 2x the price point. And the quality is superior for sure.

I used to own eight (8) Curated coats. As I say they are lovely quality - especially for the price point. I am a self-confessed coat addict so it was very easy for me to collect so many. But I have since sold all of them. The owner made me feel so worthless and small that I just could not bring myself to wear the coats. All I could think about were her emails and treatment of me. Took away all enjoyment of wearing the coats. She upset me so much. I am going back a couple of years but some of the posts here have brought it back to me.

I made the mistake of ordering too many coats. Over the space of 6 months, I ordered 15 (in different orders of say 3 coats at a time). I do have an addiction to coats (and handbags for that matter) but also, I was unsure in sizing for the various different style so I tended to order two sizes of each style. I returned 7 coats and kept 8. And I was then banned from ordering anything else. I get that the brand is pledging to be sustainable, so my returning so many coats goes against that ethos to some extent. But I did keep 8 coats and only returned duplicates for sizing purposes. And I did pay £20 restocking/return fee for every single coat I sent back.

I apologised over and over for ordering (and returning) excessively. The emails that followed were terrible. So rude and as if I was nothing - I had bought and paid for 8 coats so I must have been one of the most valuable customers. I kept my emails nice and at one point pleaded to be allowed to buy one more coat for my 50th Birthday. That’s embarrassing now I look back. But I was ignored or chastised and eventually my self worth kicked in so I didn’t try anymore. I just left it. I did not leave negative reviews anywhere - just kept quiet. Until now…..

I see similar posts from a couple of girls here so I thought why not - why not let people know the downside to buying from this brand. The owner is wonderful to influencers - sending them free coats etc. But to little people like me - she can be quite unkind and she had no concept as to how she made me feel. I bought eight coats?
I'm sorry they were so rude to you! Can you share what they said in the emails? I just find it hard for a company to not realize a customer bought 8 coats and the ones they returned where duplicates. They should have apologized to you for banning you from ordering.

To me, this brand is not worth it. I feel like they are unprofessional especially with the customer service. I bought a bag that has a lot of bubbly strap leather when I received it which is not common for an unused bag that’s brand new. The quality is very disappointing! And the customer service ghosted me when I emailed the problem. Did several follow up but still no response. I hope the other customer will not experience what I have been through. Producing an exclusive product without a good customer service is a big no for me