Food Thoughts on eating lobster and foie gras - cruel or not?

One time I was at Morton's and the guy brought out the platter with the live Maine lobster on it. The guy was huge. As the waiter was talking, he crawled off the platter and tried to run away, even with rubber bands around his claws. Personally, I didn't have the heart to order the fellow and haven't eaten lobster since though I do like it. It just proves to me that if we were faced with having to kill our own meat, we would probably consume a lot less of it. It's just much easier when it comes in prepackaged plastic wrap.

About foie gras and lobster, there is a way to consume both somewhat humanely. Kill the lobster before cooking. Buy humane raised foie gras, they do exist. It's your wedding, splurge, but follow your conscience as well. Unless you buy 100% free-range organic everything and check up on the farms that you purchase your food from (With Rosie's Chicken, you can visit their farm whenever you like and you see their chickens running along on their little chicken feet), chances are that those animals you are serving up are not humanely raised either. So unless we're going to have rules across the board on how animals should be raised and slaughtered, it's somewhat hypocritical of us to ban some and not others. Veal, anyone?

Nope, scrumptious, just like crabs, oysters, clams, mussels and fish, YUMMY!

I totally agree. I love Lobster, Crab, Oyster (especially when it's drizzled with yummy sauce and seasoned. I love going to Asian restaurants and eat these. So good), and Fish when it's all fried. ahhh... so yum!

I don't think I ever ate Foie Gras, although I've heard about it a lot in cooking competitions. I want to try it. :P

There's a couple Chinese restaurants in L.A. that I absolutely love. And they serve the best Lobsters! I just love the way they season it, it's so good. I think the last one I had was a huge lobster that cost $80!! Unfortunately I couldn't finish it but it was damn good. Of course they chopped up the thing but it was worth it.

It's so funny though, they would show the customers the lobster while it was still alive and ask us if the lobster's size was good, then they proceed to decapitate it. YEAH BABY.:nuts:

I would never eat fois gras, but I do eat lobster. I'm an animal lover, too, and I don't eat "fuzzy things". But seafood of all types is OK for me.

There are two ways that are considered "humane" to kill a lobster painlessly:

1) Knife between the eyes

2) Put them to "sleep" in the freezer for about 20 minutes before you boil/steam them. It puts them into a deep sleep.

As for the "roach of the sea" comment, although that was true at a time it's not exactly true right now. There was a LAW on the books at one time that prisoners could not have lobster more than twice a day. There was so much of it off the coast of boston that they used it as "prison food". Lucky prisoners!

Glad to help! I love talking food.

Also, that article "Consider the Lobster" is very good. Thanks to whoever posted it. I just went back and re-read it to remind me, and I like it a lot.

I don't see the problem with either.

Outside of europe its uncommong for force-feeding to be the way foie gras is produced. Its more common, now, for it to be done by natural feeding.

Lobster, its just like cooking and eating crab, shrimp, crawfish, clams, ect.

Even veal, is produced in a more natural, humane manner than it was some 30 years ago. And more care and attention is paid to their care and diet than that of most cows only intended for milk or standard beef production later in life. Many are free range to boot.

I can deal with barbaric sounding deaths of animals, like lobster, a lot better than continued pain and suffering like the ducks, veal and a lot of chicken/turkey farms. So the death itself is not my concern, but the way the animal was raised. Therefore I eat lobster and not foie gras or veal. Can't wait until I can raise my own cows and chickens on the farm and give them wonderful life before slaughter time!