Thoughts on buying vintage 2nd hand bags

belhx

Dec 14, 2017
Hi all,
I was browsing around online and I came across someone selling off her vintage Chanel handbag. It appears to be in very good condition, and she bought the bag in 1996. Comes with authenticity seal and card. I'm a little confused about the model, it appears to be a jumbo classic flap? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It'll be my first time owning a Chanel bag, so I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on it, should I go for it? Or should I stick to getting a new Chanel from a boutique? Also, what are some of the things I should look out for in getting a preloved bag?

Thank you all :heart:

JiPFlwf.jpg

LaprPf3.jpg

I don’t think this is a jumbo flap, but I could be wrong. I love vintage Chanel’s and my first one was preloved so I would go for it. But obviously take the steps to authenticate it.

If you have the money to get a brand new one though, why not! [emoji4]

Reactions: belhx
It's a vintage shoulder bag, not a classic piece. But still very nice! It has the oversize CC's which make a statement for sure, and it does look to be a very large size, and might be able to be worn crossbody. Pre-loved items are the best! You can get beautiful Chanel models at a fraction of the price. If you take steps to authenticate and purchase from a reputable seller it can be just fine to go pre-loved.

Reactions: belhx
I don’t think this is a jumbo flap, but I could be wrong. I love vintage Chanel’s and my first one was preloved so I would go for it. But obviously take the steps to authenticate it.

If you have the money to get a brand new one though, why not! [emoji4]

I'm still pretty on the fence! On one hand I'm thrilled about the price and a bag that's functional and beautiful, but on the other hand I'd love to be the first person to touch and use the bag. But you're right though, vintage chanel bags are so pretty!

It's a vintage shoulder bag, not a classic piece. But still very nice! It has the oversize CC's which make a statement for sure, and it does look to be a very large size, and might be able to be worn crossbody. Pre-loved items are the best! You can get beautiful Chanel models at a fraction of the price. If you take steps to authenticate and purchase from a reputable seller it can be just fine to go pre-loved.

I agree with you on the price! The recent prices for the classic items are getting kind of high. I love Chanel, but I'm just not sure if I should be spending so much money when there are alternatives for me.

I'm still pretty on the fence! On one hand I'm thrilled about the price and a bag that's functional and beautiful, but on the other hand I'd love to be the first person to touch and use the bag. But you're right though, vintage chanel bags are so pretty!
I agree with you on the price! The recent prices for the classic items are getting kind of high. I love Chanel, but I'm just not sure if I should be spending so much money when there are alternatives for me.
Maybe start with something smaller? If it's your first piece or the costs are concerning a nice Chanel cosmetic pouch or wallet can be a good start to the brand, and they are significantly less than a bag. With a smaller item you might be able to afford new and be the first owner, too.

Hi all,
I was browsing around online and I came across someone selling off her vintage Chanel handbag. It appears to be in very good condition, and she bought the bag in 1996. Comes with authenticity seal and card. I'm a little confused about the model, it appears to be a jumbo classic flap? Correct me if I'm wrong.

It'll be my first time owning a Chanel bag, so I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on it, should I go for it? Or should I stick to getting a new Chanel from a boutique? Also, what are some of the things I should look out for in getting a preloved bag?

Thank you all :heart:

JiPFlwf.jpg

LaprPf3.jpg

As an owner of quite a few Chanel pieces, if I could do it all over again, I would replace my black medium classic flap with a vintage piece like this!! It's so much more unique and the piece point would be easier to swallow. Of course, it would have to be in great condition and like others said you need to get it authenticated. But I'd go for it!!

Hi everyone. I need advice please. I recently bought a vintage chanel camera bag from A consignment shop. The serial number goes back to 1990 or91 Haven’t used it yet. It came in a chanel box without a dust bag. After a couple of weeks in my closet I opened the box to take the bag out and put it in a dustbag and noticed a sort of “moldy smell” on the box and bag. There are no signs of mold on the bag. Any advice on how to get rid of the smell? Here’s a picture of the bag
I would really appreciate your thoughts. Worried about the leather not lasting long...

Attachments

• ED63C0B3-404A-42BD-9144-2E426591576D.jpeg
    ED63C0B3-404A-42BD-9144-2E426591576D.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 153