Thought i'd share my saving money on taxes story...

mtheriault6

Oct 21, 2008
So in case any of you galls or guys are going away anywhere on vacation in the states to visit family, and it happens to be in a state thats in the sticks without a louis vuitton store there, go to your boutique, order what you want and while you are on vacation make sure to have it shipped to that address (the state without the louis vuitton store) and you are not charged tax on it! It was amazing, I did it at Christmas and it made me so happy :smile: Just wanted to share my knowledge, hope it helps someone!

I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago, just over the county line between Cook County and Lake County Illinois. I live on the Lake County side.

There is a boutique (Northbrook Court) about 5 minutes from my house in Cook County
but taxes are higher in Cook. Instead of going to Northbrook Court and paying Cook County taxes, I ordered online and had it delivered free to my house in Lake County, thus saving cook County taxes.

I thought so too? For security purposes?

ETA: Just looked on the website and it says you can ship items as a gift, so maybe that's a work around?

Thanks for sharing OP!

But if you ship it as a gift, don't you still pay tax on it? Even if it's being shipped to a state without tax? I'm in a state WITH tax and I'd love to figure this out!

Well i went to saks fifth avenue in orlando and tried to do a charge over the phone cause my mom had her debit card so i was gonna have her give the SA the card numbers and then i leave with the package but since my mom wasnt there i couldnt leave with the package but she sent it to our vacation home in maine so thats how it happened.

Good idea for those who have family in the right place - sales tax here is 13% (Canada) and it definitely makes me think harder about what I buy when every $1000 actually costs $1130!

I live in the northern suburbs of Chicago, just over the county line between Cook County and Lake County Illinois. I live on the Lake County side.

There is a boutique (Northbrook Court) about 5 minutes from my house in Cook County
but taxes are higher in Cook. Instead of going to Northbrook Court and paying Cook County taxes, I ordered online and had it delivered free to my house in Lake County, thus saving cook County taxes.
I live in the city and I HATE buying anything at the boutique or ordering online because of Chicago/Cook County taxes. I always get so angry when I see that receipt with the tax on it. Unfortunately, I don't have any family in outside of Cook to ship my bags to....unless I sent it to my parents in Wisconsin, which would be a long haul just to get the bag!:biggrin: