Thought Coach had a lifetime warranty?

helloearth2: How old is the bag in question? How/where was it stored? Was it left in a sunny room? Kept in a dust bag? What products were used on it during the bag lifetime? Was it ever rained on, wet etc? Left out in the sun/elements?

I don't understand how you can reasonably expect a company to give you a brand new replacement bag for something several (5+ I am guessing) years old with an issue that sounds like it is due to the owner. That type of extreme fading is not usual for Coach, and was most likely due to the way it was stored. It honestly sounds like sun or light fading, especially since you mention the area covered by the flap (which wouldn't be exposed to light) is still dark & the proper color. If it were a leather/dye/manufacturer issue, it would have faded everywhere - not just on the "non-covered" areas with the covered area remaining new. That is sun/light fading and not Coach's fault. That is improper storage and it does not make the company a fraud for not handing you a brand new one to replace it with.

If a bag were "continuously replaceable" then people would only purchase 1 purse or bag over their lifetime & just get it replaced over & over. I don't see how that is a reasonable expectation, particularly for something that is due to normal wear & tear, improper storage, etc. This is my personal opinion and not that of Coach. I think our warranty & repair service is VERY fair for the price range of the bags.

I would suggest calling CS or taking your bag into a local Coach store for evaluation. You may be offered a discount toward a new bag. I'm sorry that you're unhappy with this situation, but I just don't see how expecting a brand new bag for a several years old bag with fading most likely due to improper storage is reasonable.

Last edited:
Coach doesn't re-dye bags. Their warranty also depends on consumers properly caring for their bags. So you get 40% off as consolation in addition to enjoying your bag for 5 years.

And again, how is this an honoring of the stated Coach warranty? Could you please explain the lifetime warranty and how it is honored for a lifetime? I notice you talk around the question over answering it. Is that the Coach warranty?--to make promises that are not kept?

It is the lifetime of the bag, other posters have clearly stated that. The usual lifetime of a leather coach bag is 5-7 years and 2-3 for a fabric bag, now if your'e extremely careful and diligent like my mother you can have one for 30+ years... The warranty is against manufactured defects, they're not going to replace a bag, because YOU ruined it, that is entirely on you.

Is the one year starting on new purchases or applicable for all purchases before the policy was changed? I bought a bag for my sister last year in Oct. this year (today) she told me that the handle broke off- it was one of the saffiano totes. I would think that would be repairable and not from "normal wear and tear" because I've never had a handle break on a bag. I guess I would have to call and see what they could do before wasting money on the postage, but I was just wondering if anyone recently had any success with repairs outside of this new one year policy. I was at the outlet a month or so ago and when they were telling me about the returns changes I asked about the repair policy changing and they said it had not, go figure though, they couldn't even agree on what the new return policy was... I just feel bad that i got my sister a gift and it didn't even last a year.

Not sure if you already took this in, and I know you already bought some new options (fabulous sister btw!), but I keep waiting for the strap to give on my Saffiano tote because I really load it as my daily work bag, so I checked with my local shoe repair and sounded like it would be a relatively cheap and easy fix so that might be worth checking out as well. Good luck!

Yes, I do expect Coach to replace the bag every time when it sates the warranty is for lifetime and as for caring for the bag the documentation I have states "there is nothing you have to do for your bag, it will age gracefully with a patina darkening over time." So when it does not do that I expect it to be replaced given the warranty. And other manufacturers offer this too: the Tilley Hat guarantee is -- "The Tilley Guarantee

The thing that makes Tilley “The World’s Best Hat” is its lifetime guarantee. Most Tilley Hats and Caps are guaranteed for life not to wear out. Here is the lifetime guarantee according to the official Tilley website:

“If there is a problem caused by poor workmanship or faulty material, please send your freshly washed Hat or Cap to us (Tilley) and we’ll replace it free – whatever’s fair."

Point is lifetime does mean my lifetime not 5-7 years. Coach warrantied for lifetime with no exceptions. Honor it.

Are you a Coach rep? Years ago Coach store told me in writing that the bag was warrantied against 'fading' and I have this in writing. It was part of the instructions to the Coach polishing kit bought separately. When the bag faded, Coach failed to honor its word.

Wondering about this... This kit is not to be used on all Coach bags. If your bag had instructions that said "don't do anything, the patina will darken over time" then it may not have been a good idea to use this kit on this bag. The instructions on the kit apply to bags with care cards that specifically say to use leather cleaner and moisturizer on them to maintain them... while other bags you can't use it (as it can cause discoloration). Which is it with your bag - don't do anything, or maintain it with cleaner and moisturizer? And what did you do with it- nothing, or use the kit on it?

Also, how was the bag stored when not in use?

Point is lifetime does mean my lifetime not 5-7 years. Coach warrantied for lifetime with no exceptions. Honor it.

No it doesn't automatically mean your lifetime as there is NO uniform length of time for a "lifetime warranty". Just because you assume it means your liftime doesn't make it so. It's going to vary among retailers. You keep citing Tilley hats but you failed to include that even they have exclusions for damage caused by misuse or improper care. Many other posters here have tried to explain to you that Coach DOES NOT cover something YOU damaged, which is just like Tilley's "Exclusions: damage caused by misuse or improper care."

Wondering about this... This kit is not to be used on all Coach bags. If your bag had instructions that said "don't do anything, the patina will darken over time" then it may not have been a good idea to use this kit on this bag. The instructions on the kit apply to bags with care cards that specifically say to use leather cleaner and moisturizer on them to maintain them... while other bags you can't use it (as it can cause discoloration). Which is it with your bag - don't do anything, or maintain it with cleaner and moisturizer? And what did you do with it- nothing, or use the kit on it?

Also, how was the bag stored when not in use?

Good questions. I wondered the same things.

Reactions: Joey92
No it doesn't automatically mean your lifetime as there is NO uniform length of time for a "lifetime warranty". Just because you assume it means your liftime doesn't make it so. It's going to vary among retailers. You keep citing Tilley hats but you failed to include that even they have exclusions for damage caused by misuse or improper care. Many other posters here have tried to explain to you that Coach DOES NOT cover something YOU damaged, which is just like Tilley's "Exclusions: damage caused by misuse or improper care."

Good questions. I wondered the same things.

So you agree that lifetime is going to "vary among retailers" that means it is unclear. Therefore, Coach is intentionally using an unclear warranty to do what? Deceive obviously. Also I have never damaged the bag and used the maintenance care kit. Coach is a fraud operation using deception in its warranties.

I mean just what I said, it varies among retailers. There's no hidden or implied meaning when I say that. Lifetime warranties vary, bottom line, whether we like it or not.

So you agree that lifetime is going to "vary among retailers" that means it is unclear. Therefore, Coach is intentionally using an unclear warranty to do what? Deceive obviously. Also I have never damaged the bag and used the maintenance care kit. Coach is a fraud operation using deception in its warranties.

If you did not use this kit on this bag, because it specifically says not to, then you can't apply the 'warranty' from the kit to the bag. If you used this kit on this bag, when the bag's care card says not to, then it may have damaged the bag and the warranty for the bag and the kit would not apply.

Again, how was the bag stored when not in use? Additional details such as this may reveal how the bag got discolored, thus clearing up whether or not the warranty should apply to it.

i don't understand how you can reasonably expect a company to give you a brand new replacement bag for something several (5+ i am guessing) years old with an issue that sounds like it is due to the owner.

If a bag were "continuously replaceable" then people would only purchase 1 purse or bag over their lifetime & just get it replaced over & over. I don't see how that is a reasonable expectation, particularly for something that is due to normal wear & tear, improper storage, etc.

+1

If you did not use this kit on this bag, because it specifically says not to, then you can't apply the 'warranty' from the kit to the bag. If you used this kit on this bag, when the bag's care card says not to, then it may have damaged the bag and the warranty for the bag and the kit would not apply.

Again, how was the bag stored when not in use? Additional details such as this may reveal how the bag got discolored, thus clearing up whether or not the warranty should apply to it.

The warranty was in the catalog and a separate use card was in the Coach care kit that was identified as 'optional.' So the Coach kit was to maintain the bag. But I notice how the discussion is trying to be diverted from the lifetime warranty language that Coach now admits differs among manufactures. Warranties are language constituting part of the purchase contract and by law vagueness is interpreted against the drafter so the drafter is denied an incentive to be vague. This discussion is just convincing me to purse this in small claims court under the Consumer Protection Act allowing for treble damages for deception. Coach is a fraud.