Those with Rosacea, which foundation do you use? High end or DS ok!

MizGemma

Feb 9, 2018
I have oily skin and mild seb derm as well. Foundations with moisturizers are out. I use Finacea Gel 15% and avoid my triggers so I rarely have flares these days. My skin is not bad. I like the look that foundation gives to skin.

I tried IT Cosmetics CC SPF50+ and it irritated my skin. It has a lot of botanicals in it, so that is probably why. That ingredient list goes on and on.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

I have oily skin and mild seb derm as well. Foundations with moisturizers are out. I use Finacea Gel 15% and avoid my triggers so I rarely have flares these days. My skin is not bad. I like the look that foundation gives to skin.

I tried IT Cosmetics CC SPF50+ and it irritated my skin. It has a lot of botanicals in it, so that is probably why. That ingredient list goes on and on.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

I too have rosacea that is somewhat controlled, i use high end foundations as All the drug store ones I’ve tried have been a fail for me.
As you probably already know it’s always a trial with anything we putbon our face but for me I’ve found that I NEED to stay away from anything that has avobenzone and oxybenzone and usually a lot of foundations with spf have that. I look for mineral sunscreens and if possible foundations with no sunscreens as I’d rather do sunscreen separately.
Currently i have three different foundations i use depending on coverage i want, two are chanel and one is dior. I have combination skin with dry patches and i do like full semi matte coverage.
My advice would be to get samples from Sephora and try it out for a couple a days before taking thd plunge.

Reactions: MizGemma
I too have rosacea that is somewhat controlled, i use high end foundations as All the drug store ones I’ve tried have been a fail for me.
As you probably already know it’s always a trial with anything we putbon our face but for me I’ve found that I NEED to stay away from anything that has avobenzone and oxybenzone and usually a lot of foundations with spf have that. I look for mineral sunscreens and if possible foundations with no sunscreens as I’d rather do sunscreen separately..

Yes, I cannot do the chemical sunscreens either. I should have put I prefer no sun protection in mine. . I'll hit Sephora looking for the Chanel and Dior ones you mention. Thank you so much!!

The foundations that I use for rosacea, vitiligo, sun burns and port wine stains are mid-range foundations that are dermatologically tested such as Cover F/X, Joe Blasco, Kryolan, DermaColor, and DermaBlend.

Reactions: MizGemma
The foundations that I use for rosacea, vitiligo, sun burns and port wine stains are mid-range foundations that are dermatologically tested such as Cover F/X, Joe Blasco, Kryolan, DermaColor, and DermaBlend.
I have a dark spot on my face I want to cover. I'm going to dermatologist tomorrow but if she doesn't offer a desirable or effective treatment suggestion, then I'm thinking I should try a better foundation. Local Ulta has Dermablend cover creme full coverage. But generally I prefer medium coverage. Might be better to have a spot on my face than to look masky.
Suggestions? Layer my medium coverage foundation? It covers somewhat.

I have a dark spot on my face I want to cover. I'm going to dermatologist tomorrow but if she doesn't offer a desirable or effective treatment suggestion, then I'm thinking I should try a better foundation. Local Ulta has Dermablend cover creme full coverage. But generally I prefer medium coverage. Might be better to have a spot on my face than to look masky.
Suggestions? Layer my medium coverage foundation? It covers somewhat.

Sounds like you have just one dark area. If the colour of your dark spot is in the purple / blue range, use a concealer (corrector) by Dermablend and just cover the spot, and use your foundation as per usual.

All full coverage creme foundations can be 'cut' to a medium coverage by mixing a very small amount of a primer into the foundation. --> Place a dime sized amount of the full coverage creme on a palette or plate and mix in a drop of primer and mix with a spatula until it becomes a medium texture, which is a few seconds, then apply as you normally would. And yes, you can layer your medium coverage foundation, just lightly powder before the next layer.

hth, good luck.
Cheers.

Sounds like you have just one dark area. If the colour of your dark spot is in the purple / blue range, use a concealer (corrector) by Dermablend and just cover the spot, and use your foundation as per usual.

All full coverage creme foundations can be 'cut' to a medium coverage by mixing a very small amount of a primer into the foundation. --> Place a dime sized amount of the full coverage creme on a palette or plate and mix in a drop of primer and mix with a spatula until it becomes a medium texture, which is a few seconds, then apply as you normally would. And yes, you can layer your medium coverage foundation, just lightly powder before the next layer.

hth, good luck.
Cheers.
I'm having mohs surgery to remove this brown spot on my face. Will probably need something to cover pink afterwards but should probably wait and see. Whether green corrector or foundation or concealer works

I'm having mohs surgery to remove this brown spot on my face. Will probably need something to cover pink afterwards but should probably wait and see. Whether green corrector or foundation or concealer works
No. No need for colour correctors, or concealers. Remember, foundations are red blockers to begin with. Just follow your dermatologist’s recommendation on how long you should begin your after-care skin care and make-up routine.

Make sure you use a dermatologist recommended foundation brand such as Kryolan’s Dermacolor line, Dermablend, Cinema Secrets, Cover F/X, and Joe Blasco. Yes these foundations will be creme based, as they will provide the best coverage with the least amount of product being used. Don’t forget to gently powder to set it.

A little segue, but not totally off topic...
(The issue with green colour correctors, is that you’ll need to match it with the exact shade of red to neutralize it. If the shade is not an exact match, you will look grey. And then you’ll have to use a concealer to cover that. It’s a big and long drawn out process to find an exact match. This corrector theory has been around since the 70’s and thanks to continuing technological improvements in the cosmetic industry, has not been practiced for decades. Hence all foundations on the market are red blockers. All one has to do is match their skin tone, and viola they’re done! But not all are recommended for laser resurfacing or cancer after care routines.) Hope I didn’t digress too much. :P

HtH good luck! :flowers:

Reactions: jenjen1964
No. No need for colour correctors, or concealers. Remember, foundations are red blockers to begin with. Just follow your dermatologist’s recommendation on how long you should begin your after-care skin care and make-up routine.

Make sure you use a dermatologist recommended foundation brand such as Kryolan’s Dermacolor line, Dermablend, Cinema Secrets, Cover F/X, and Joe Blasco. Yes these foundations will be creme based, as they will provide the best coverage with the least amount of product being used. Don’t forget to gently powder to set it.

A little segue, but not totally off topic...
(The issue with green colour correctors, is that you’ll need to match it with the exact shade of red to neutralize it. If the shade is not an exact match, you will look grey. And then you’ll have to use a concealer to cover that. It’s a big and long drawn out process to find an exact match. This corrector theory has been around since the 70’s and thanks to continuing technological improvements in the cosmetic industry, has not been practiced for decades. Hence all foundations on the market are red blockers. All one has to do is match their skin tone, and viola they’re done! But not all are recommended for laser resurfacing or cancer after care routines.) Hope I didn’t digress too much. :P

HtH good luck! :flowers:
Thank you :smile:

hth, good luck.
Cheers.
so now I have a scar - not too bad, it's healing nicely. Makeup helps with the redness but of course can't cover the raised part. If I shop for new foundation, I'd like to go someplace where I can have a makeup "artist" or SA help with color selection. I don't think any of the ones you suggested are sold at local BNM stores.
Maybe check estee lauder double wear? or something mac?
I think finding a makeup artist who knows what she's doing is hit or miss

so now I have a scar - not too bad, it's healing nicely. Makeup helps with the redness but of course can't cover the raised part. If I shop for new foundation, I'd like to go someplace where I can have a makeup "artist" or SA help with color selection. I don't think any of the ones you suggested are sold at local BNM stores.
Maybe check estee lauder double wear? or something mac?
I think finding a makeup artist who knows what she's doing is hit or miss
If you don’t mind my asking... How did the scar appear? Was it after your mohs surgery? Or was it from a make-up product? Some allergies and sensitivities can cause scarring due to unhygienic products or in some products in general. (Just covering all the bases).

Sephora, MAC, and Make-up For Ever all have trained MuA’s in colour and texture matching foundations and concealers for your specific needs. Also Clinique has better trained Skin Care and Beauty Advisors than their contemporary competitors like Estée Lauder and Lancôme.

However, if you’re already familiar and happy with Estée Lauder, go with them for your consultation.

If you don’t mind my asking... How did the scar appear? Was it after your mohs surgery? Or was it from a make-up product? Some allergies and sensitivities can cause scarring due to unhygienic products or in some products in general. (Just covering all the bases).

Sephora, MAC, and Make-up For Ever all have trained MuA’s in colour and texture matching foundations and concealers for your specific needs. Also Clinique has better trained Skin Care and Beauty Advisors than their contemporary competitors like Estée Lauder and Lancôme.

However, if you’re already familiar and happy with Estée Lauder, go with them for your consultation.
/
the scar is from the plastic surgeon closing/repairing the mohs wound....it was a pretty large cancer - they stared with cutting about the size of a quarter, then had to cut some more....I haven't used estee lauder double wear, just seems popular. I don't really like the look of full coverage so I think medium buildable is probably best

/
the scar is from the plastic surgeon closing/repairing the mohs wound....it was a pretty large cancer - they stared with cutting about the size of a quarter, then had to cut some more....I haven't used estee lauder double wear, just seems popular. I don't really like the look of full coverage so I think medium buildable is probably best

Ah okay I see. Apologies sdkitty, didn't realize it was surgery related.

When you do go for a consultation, let the Beauty Advisors know that you prefer a medium coverage look. Well at least Estee Lauder's Double Wear is a good a starting point as any.

I am not gonna lie, picking the right foundation that works for you is definitely a trial-and-error process, so be patient in the 3 to 5 day period that it takes your skin to adjust it's pH level to the new foundation you're trying on. If your skin is too dry or too oily after 5 days, change your foundation... This is where your consultation relationship with your Beauty Advisor is very important as they will take notes and help you track your progress. And the best brands that do this very well are Clinique, Estee Lauder, Clarins, Elizabeth Arden, and Lancome, as these brands are focused on relationships with their customers in terms of consultations. Sorry I am starting to sound redundant... Anyways, good luck and have fun! Cheers.

Reactions: sdkitty