This is so frustrating and have anyone experience this?

After checking my recent receipts from Hermes, such restriction is applied to items purchased abroad: "Items purchased abroad are only eligible for exchange, and may not be exchanged for bags or small leather goods if they are from another product category.".

That’s my experience too. Hermes does make exceptions though, and I feel like since OP’s watch was a defected she should have been offered a full refund, or at least can use the credit on something else, ESPECIALLY she bought the watch from the same store!

All part of the Hermes game, unfortunately. The company, in a way, sees themselves as the customer, and the brand has been built around them dictating to patrons how and when they can spend their money. I've never even heard of Hermes doing actual refunds, just credit. You *could* take the issue to your credit card company, but seeing as it's been longer than a year, I doubt they will do anything. You could also try civil court, but they are gonna claim you agreed to the conditions by buying the item in the first place, and you would need to prove they didn't explain a return could only be credit for another piece of jewelry.

Reactions: fatcat2523
I think that since it was defective you should have gotten a refund, not a store credit at all.

I think from Hermes point of view that OP can exchange for a different watch .... the watch OP retuned was not the “only” limited piece and not all Hermes watches are defective, therefore Hermes probably treated OP’s return as a “regular return”.

I think from Hermes point of view that OP can exchange for a different watch .... the watch OP retuned was not the “only” limited piece and not all Hermes watches are defective, therefore Hermes probably treated OP’s return as a “regular return”.

After experiencing such a defective watch H should understand the customer's faith in such products is shattered. Mine would be. I'd be talking to the SM and if s/he wouldn't give me a refund/general exchange I'd be asking for someone's name in H HO Paris. Even a Timex can keep time.

@fatcat2523 you deserve so much better.

After experiencing such a defective watch H should understand the customer's faith in such products is shattered. Mine would be. I'd be talking to the SM and if s/he wouldn't give me a refund/general exchange I'd be asking for someone's name in H HO Paris. Even a Timex can keep time.

Thank you so much. I will try to talk to them again. Hopefully their service won't be the same level of their watch LOL.

Reactions: papertiger
I agree and I would have done the same thing if I lost total faith with the merchandise / brand. Not sure if OP can file a dispute with the credit card company as the defective watch has been returned :confused1:.

I believe the policy exists to discourage people from buying $10k in jewelry, being offered a Birkin, and then exchanging the fine jewelry for store credit to use on a Lindy and wallet, as an example (since a bag and an SLG would go a lot less far in 'earning' a bag offer). It's definitely not very customer friendly, but from their point of view, it does serve a purpose.
That being said, for a defective item like yours, they should definitely make an exception.

i'll try not to offend but it irks me so much that hermes treats its customers so badly after you spend so much there. They should be grateful to you, not the other way around.

Reactions: Julide
I don’t get this, in my country, regardless of the seller, the law says that goods have to be “fit for purpose”. Your watch clearly didn’t satisfy that so you should get a refund!

I’ve just looked at the prices for their watches, having seen them, even more reason to expect your money back.

This is UK???
We are very well protected. But a lot if people are not really sure of their 'legal rights'.
I am not sure if there has been any minor change to the law, but it used to be that you were legally entitled to refund, exchange or repair if goods were 'not fit for purpose' or 'as described'.
It is your choice - not what the shop chooses to offer you.
If the goods are 'not fit for purpose' or 'not as described' you cannot be forced to take a credit note
However if you opted for repair you lost a subsequent 'right' to refund.

Obviously this legal right does not apply to returns because you do not like the colour, style or even size.
Out of goodwill most shops will exchange or offer a credit note but they are not obliged to refund.

It is important to know where original posters have bought items as legal entitlements do vary from country to country.

This is UK???
We are very well protected. But a lot if people are not really sure of their 'legal rights'.
I am not sure if there has been any minor change to the law, but it used to be that you were legally entitled to refund, exchange or repair if goods were 'not fit for purpose' or 'as described'.
It is your choice - not what the shop chooses to offer you.
If the goods are 'not fit for purpose' or 'not as described' you cannot be forced to take a credit note
However if you opted for repair you lost a subsequent 'right' to refund.

Obviously this legal right does not apply to returns because you do not like the colour, style or even size.
Out of goodwill most shops will exchange or offer a credit note but they are not obliged to refund.

It is important to know where original posters have bought items as legal entitlements do vary from country to country.

Also in the UK. Yes, this still applies.

Agreeing to and having a repair done is one thing, agreeing to and having one done that didn't work is quite another as either the item was irreparable or the level of repair insufficient. It does not make sense that anyone, anywhere, could agree to a repair and subsequently it comes back still 'not fit for purpose' and that customer has lost their right to a refund. This watch was not fit to sell in the first place and that is what the measure of the 'fit for purpose' Consumer Rights law is about. Like a pair of shoes that let in water or fall apart after 2 wears, it's only with experience that this could be assessed, it's not something that can be judged by a consumer just by inspection of the product when it was new, unused.

Moreover, this is why watches are usually guaranteed for at least a year. fatcat only had 4-ish months before he recognised that the watch was consistently wrong, in watch terms that's not long, the rest of the year was taken-up with 3 attempts to fix the watch which all failed. That is a faulty watch. A watch that doesn't keep time is a bracelet, fatcat needs a watch and that is what H should recognise, after this experience he shouldn't be expected to have faith in H watches, they should issue him a refund because he now needs to buy a watch that tells the correct time and that means going somewhere else.

Legal entitlements vary from country to country but H overrides not only some national laws when not pressed to comply (I have had to 'press' a few times myself) but also H's own rules depending whichever customer it's dealing with. There is no consistency at H anywhere in the world, whichever country, when customers are treated like reg. human beings and/or allowed to buy something we actually want we're overwhelmed with gratitude and think we must be VIPs. I'm very cross on fatcat's behalf.

Also in the UK. Yes, this still applies.

Agreeing to and having a repair done is one thing, agreeing to and having one done that didn't work is quite another as either the item was irreparable or the level of repair insufficient. It does not make sense that anyone, anywhere, could agree to a repair and subsequently it comes back still 'not fit for purpose' and that customer has lost their right to a refund. This watch was not fit to sell in the first place and that is what the measure of the 'fit for purpose' Consumer Rights law is about. Like a pair of shoes that let in water or fall apart after 2 wears, it's only with experience that this could be assessed, it's not something that can be judged by a consumer just by inspection of the product when it was new, unused.

Moreover, this is why watches are usually guaranteed for at least a year. fatcat only had 4-ish months before he recognised that the watch was consistently wrong, in watch terms that's not long, the rest of the year was taken-up with 3 attempts to fix the watch which all failed. That is a faulty watch. I watch that doesn't keep time is a bracelet, fatcat needs a watch and that is what H should recognise, after this experience he shouldn't be expected to have faith in H watches, they should issue him a refund because he now needs to buy a watch that tells the correct time and that means going somewhere else.

Legal entitlements vary from country to country but H overrides not only some national laws when not pressed to comply (I have had to 'press' a few times myself) but also H's own rules depending whichever customer it's dealing with. There is no consistency at H anywhere in the world, whichever country, when customers are treated like reg. human beings and/or allowed to buy something we actually want we're overwhelmed with gratitude and think we must be VIPs. I'm very cross on fatcat's behalf.
Thank you for your kind message. As mentioned before I am losing hope with H not listening to me or my frustration. I am so glad to see there is someone who can understand me. Thank you.